72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219606 times)

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2008 - 01:14:03 PM »
Comp Chassi is the best around, glad you went to him, he did the cage in my 65 Belvedere and he did alot of other work on it for me.
When you see Richard, tell him Nick says Hi.....

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2008 - 01:39:02 PM »
Keep up the good work!

:bananasmi

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2008 - 11:16:03 PM »
Travis,
Given you a little bump to the top to keep it alive!
Wes :bigsmile:

Offline Travis72

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2008 - 12:17:13 AM »
Thanks for the bump.  Well I might as well post some pictures!   ;D

I have good news and bad news.  The good news is the Cuda is home, the bad news is it's not done.  I'm still waiting on the new Goodmark frame rail, which is supposed to ship next week (the front of the rear drivers side frame rail is all mangled).  My Cuda has been sitting at the shop for the last 5 weeks and I told them that if it gets in their way that I would come pick it up.  The shop is pretty small and since they had a couple new cars to get in they asked me to come pick up the Cuda.  So I went and picked it up a week ago.

I had a 4 point roll bar, mini-tubs and subframe connectors installed.  You can see how they also tie the subframe connectors to the rocker panels.  Right now everything is just tacked in place because they want to final weld everything at once.  When the frame rail comes in they will install that then move the 4-bar lower control arms in to the rails.  I also need to make sure the seat height is where I want it before they install the harness bar.  The wheel tubs look amazing and added about 2.5" of more room (should be plenty of room for 335 or 345s).  From the inside they look factory.  They also narrow the frame rail in the rear to give the same amount of room front and back (because the frame rails kick out in back).  It's hard to take a picture of, but you can see it in some of the pictures.  They said that's what they do on the first gen Camaros as well.  I'm not worried about any loss of strength of the frame rail since the roll bar ties back to the frame rail, plus the leaf springs will no longer be supporting the car.

Once the frame rail comes in it should only be a couple more days of work for them.  So I'm hoping within a few weeks that the car will be completely done and I can move on to painting the floorboards and things like that.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012 - 06:18:12 PM by Travis72 »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2008 - 12:39:16 AM »
 :bananasmi The boys have done some real nice work on the rear end :2thumbs: can't wait to see more when they get the new rail in place. :woo:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2008 - 01:56:51 AM »
Great update! :droolingbounce:Sounds like all good news to me!  Everyday is another day closer.  :woo: :clapping:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2008 - 03:24:21 AM »
Man I cant wait to see this car when its done!!!  This thing is going to be sweet!!!   :burnout:

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2008 - 07:06:55 AM »
Travis

That car looks killer & looks like a nice job on the tubs.
Will you run a back seat & will you have to mod it to fit?

:cooldancing: :clapping: :woo: :woohoo: :bananasmi :worshippy
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2008 - 10:13:16 PM »
Looking sweet Travis, keep the progress moving.  Next Summer is coming fast!

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2008 - 02:42:22 PM »
I am new to this site and am already loving it.  I am doing pretty much the same thing in my cuda altekation front end, xv chassis stiffening, air bar four link in the rear, although i am using coil overs.   i am glad to hear you seem happy with your purchases.  I have a six point cage in mine and am currently trying to find some laser cut subframe connectors that actually fit the floor pan. the xv and mancini subframe connectors dont fit for opposite reasons. i love the artist pic and I am thinking of the six spoke aar style wheels for mine as well. my car is much further behind than yours with it on the rotissery right now. Nice work on your car by the way!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2008 - 03:22:06 PM »
I don't care for those floor-fitting frame connectors. For one thing the floor is too thin (24 gage ?) to adequately support the rest of the box.  It's Better to cut the floor like in these pics and maintain the structural integrity of the member you're welding in. Just my  :2cents:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2008 - 12:20:14 AM »
My impression of the form fitting subframe connectors is that you have to have perfect floorboards otherwise you'll have to spend time getting them to fit right.  Since my rear floor pans have small dents and the like, I never even bothered trying to fit the XV ones (I bought the complete chassis stiffening kit, because it was cheaper than buying the piece parts).  As soon as I can find some time, I'll put the XV SFCs up for sale on this site.  Plus I agree that the 2x3 tubing is the stiffest you can get.

Don't worry about being behind me........... at the pace I'm going on this car you'll pass me in no time!!!!   ;D

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Travis72

« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2008 - 12:37:33 AM »
Quick update.  The car is back at the chassis shop to have the new rear frame rail put in and have the rest of the welding completed.  While the car is out of the garage it's given me room to clean up some of the body panels.  I stripped both the inside and outside of the front fenders, the front and rear valence and the header panel.  I did some basic hammer/dolly work on the header panel where it needed it and then epoxy primed the parts.  For now I only did the inside of the passenger fender, because it needs a lot of body work plus holes welded up, etc.

For now I've left my drivers side fender in bare metal until I get it remounted on the car and determine if it's salvageable or not.  It's got a lot of dents and had about a 3/4" inch of body filler on it.

It sure is nice having the parts clean and in primer.  For once I'm worried about getting the parts dirty instead of the other way around.   :D   Anyway here's some pictures of the paint stripping process.  The worse part was the undercoating on the fenders.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012 - 06:20:16 PM by Travis72 »

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2008 - 08:56:31 AM »
Hey Travis!!  Looking good !!  What's that brace where the rear seat goes? The black one.   Good luck with the fenders.  I'm patiently waiting to rip mine apart again! This winter will bring paint here. Keep up the good work,Soon it will be time to bolt on new,clean stuff. Fun times for sure!!   See ya' Robert :cooldancing: :2thumbs:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2008 - 09:58:41 AM »
Looks great  :2thumbs:

What's the easiest way to remove that undercoating?
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car