72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219619 times)

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2008 - 10:06:56 PM »
 :wow:
That is looking great. You have got to be jazzed to see it with the big meats under it!  :drool:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline 808cuda

• RARE Fish!
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2008 - 10:22:15 PM »
Travis!

Excellent progress and pics!  :2thumbs:

What do you have for aprrox space between your 335 tire and quarter lip (not rolled I assume?) and tire-to-lower trailing arm link?

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress! Excellent work  :thumbsup:
1970 N96 Cuda 340 4speed (now Keisler 5 speed)

Offline Travis72

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2008 - 11:26:22 PM »
Thanks all for the comments and the inspiration from watching your builds.  808cuda sorry I didn't actually measure the clearance.  Next time I have the tire off I'll do that (I put the old tire back on so that I can roll the car around).  A 345 should fit though.    :smokin:   In fact I'm considering the MT 345/35/18, but I need to really mock it up for sure.

The coilovers do hang pretty low, but not much lower then the rear end itself.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Travis72

« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2008 - 10:56:19 PM »
Well, I've been able to dedicate the last few weekends working on the car, so I've been able to make some progress.  I bought a new Goodmark drivers side fender from Nick because the one I had was too far gone.  It basically had damage on every part of it.  So I got the new fender mounted and the header panel and front valance.  I had to drill and tap 2 holes in to the XV radiator brace to attach the lower core support, because there's no room for the stock J-nuts.  I even mocked up the MAS front spoiler just to see how it fits and I really like the look (thanks for the tips on mounting it Robert)!

The fender fits really good except the lower body line is like 0.5" higher than the same body line on the door.  This is with the main body lines lined up.  So it's not perfect, but I guess it's better than the Challenger fenders where the body line slants in the wrong direction.   :dunno:

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 01:08:02 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2008 - 11:13:19 PM »
In parallel with this, I've been working on replacing the passenger side quarter panel.  So yes basically every panel on my car has some sort of body damage.  I'm assuming that back in the 70's this thing must have taken a hard hit to the quarter panel.  You can see how mangled the outer wheelhouse is and how it ripped the c-pillar (see pic 3882).  Someone had taken a full quarter and instead of melting out the factory lead and replacing it correctly, the brazed and riveted it on top of part of the factory quarter.  So they basically didn't want to deal with the spot welds I guess   :dunno:   The brazing has no strength and once the edge came loose it basically un-zippered.  Scary.  In picture 3825 below, the bare metal piece is the factory quarter, which you can tell because it still has little spots of the factory white paint.   You can see the brazed seam up above it.

No welding just brazing everywhere.  Even the ripped c-pillar had brazing where they tried to repair it.  I went ahead and made a little patch panel for the c-pillar and welded it in with a lap weld.  I was going to butt weld it then figured why bother since no one is going to see it.  It probably wasn't necessary from a strength standpoint to fix the c-pillar but I feel better now that I did it.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 01:10:48 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2008 - 11:21:41 PM »
Luckily it was only surface rust everywhere.  So I cleaned everything up as best I could and treated all the metal with Picklex.  I then used the rest of the Zero Rust paint that I had on the quarter window area.  I have some more Rust Bullet on order, that I'll coat everything else in once that comes.

I have a repo outer wheelhouse, however the seam where it joins the inner wheelhouse doesn't look anything like the factory part.  Plus that's where the mini-tubs start, so I'm just going to replace the damaged part of the wheelhouse and leave the rest.  So you can see where I cut it out in the pictures.

So that's where the car stands now.  I should be able to get the outer wheelhouse in and the quarter on in the next couple of weekends.  Then it will start looking like a real car again..... finally....  ;D

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 01:13:15 AM by Travis72 »

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2008 - 11:34:01 PM »
So yes basically every panel on my car has some sort of body damage.
Are you sure were not working on the same car?  :clueless: It's like dejavu ( I have no idea how to spell deja..? whatever!)
Car is looking real good  :thumbsup:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2008 - 12:42:24 AM »
LOL  that's funny.  I was kind of thinking the same thing.  In fact I even went back and looked through the old pictures of your quarter panel replacement for reference when I started replacing mine.   ;D

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:35:20 AM »
Nah... That was the drivers side he was working on.  The Passenger side is a little worse off. 

It's neat how you tie things together but I'm suprised you didn't tub the outer wheelhouse.  I don't know but it looks like the top of the tire might rub with such a tall wheel and a low suspension. 

My bet is you have that all worked out   :ylsuper:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008 - 03:25:40 PM by 360cuda »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2008 - 06:13:22 AM »
Travis

I am glad you are making some progress   :bananasmi  your car is taking shape well sorta   :poopoke: :poopoke: I am glad I didn’t need quarters.  :faint:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2008 - 09:17:31 AM »
I wish I was as far along as you. It's coming along very nicely.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2008 - 09:29:43 AM »
Oops, forgot..... You are doing th Air Bar with coils , right?

Where are you putting the lower bars? And how?

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2008 - 03:34:59 PM »
looking good :bananasmi    it does feel better to repair the small parts you won`t see to your standards  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline Travis72

« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2008 - 12:54:58 AM »
Well I'll certainly feel a lot better after the new quarter panel is back on.   :D    Since the quarters were on when it was mini-tubbed they did the strip down the middle and it would be tough to do the outer wheelhouse.  Now if someone were replacing both quarters, then that would be a great time to tub the outer wheelhouse like conv340 did.  On the tire clearance, since I'm not running the air bags I'm really not planning on having it that low.   I mean it will be lower than stock, but not like most of the air bags cars are doing.  Once I get the quarter panel on and the rear end back under the car I can setup the car back up at ride height.

Go-fish, go back one page and there is a picture posted of the lower bars moved in next to the frame rail.  If you want to see any other pics, let me know and I can send you a bunch more offline.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2008 - 02:33:17 AM »
Thanks Travis. It looks great.
I put on a new bumper w/o the bumper boobs on and a new non-dual exhaust pan today. I am going to start smoothing the spring shackle bulge thingies. Hopefully I get it real smooth. Are you going that route?