72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219624 times)

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2008 - 01:41:07 AM »
Well I've been finishing up all the welding and clean up on the quarter panel.  In parallel with that I sent the differential off to Dr. Diff to have him set it up with 3.73 gears, nodular iron carrier, an Eaton TrueTrac, stock Timken bearings and his custom length axles.  I really wanted to go with the MP aluminum carrier, but couldn't justify the additional $700 for ~12 lbs of weight loss.  Anyway, once I got everything back I cleaned up the housing real good before shooting it with a coat of epoxy primer and then a coat of single stage black.   It actually came out pretty good.  I just tried to clean up some of the slag on it.  So I put the diff all back together and finally installed it back under the car.

At the same time I went ahead and mocked up the Dr. Diff Cobra rear disc brake kit.  The reason I went with the Cobra rear kit versus a matching Wilwood kit is I didn't want to switch to the green bearings.  I went with the 11.7" rear kit instead of the 13" kit that he offers for a couple of reasons 1) since the rear brakes don't do much of the work, I felt 13" brakes weren't needed versus the added weight, and 2) this way I can still run 15" drag radials on the back for the dragstrip.  The one downside is that with 17" rims the 13" brakes would have looked a lot better for sure.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:56:43 AM by Travis72 »

Offline 808cuda

• RARE Fish!
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2008 - 03:06:24 AM »
Hey Travis.

Looking great! Can't wait to see when you complete and drive it!

Thanks for the updates!

Gil
1970 N96 Cuda 340 4speed (now Keisler 5 speed)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2008 - 04:38:07 AM »
Diff came up nice by the pictures :drunk: looks good sitting in place with color on now :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2008 - 04:55:26 AM »
Looks Great Travis  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:11:56 AM »
 :iagree:   :clapping:
*** Bart ***

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2008 - 10:26:10 PM »
I really wanted to go with the MP aluminum carrier, but couldn't justify the additional $700 for ~12 lbs of weight loss.
I had the same argument. It sure seems cool though. Your project is looking great. Its getting closer you have to be excited to see it come together.  I  love watching your progress.
It all seems kinda familiar hmm...  :clueless:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2008 - 12:59:03 PM »
That car looks awesome too! It sounds funny but I would Love to see a Clear Coated car with all metal showing........  :cooldancing:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Travis72

« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2008 - 02:03:56 AM »
I guess the big news is I decided on someone to finish the body work and paint on the car.  While I've had delusions of grandeur of trying to do it all myself, I've realized that given the small amount of time I have to work on the car, plus the fact that body work takes me forever it would take me years to finish the body.  The guy I picked works for the City of Tucson in their fleet paint and body shop basically fixing and painting cop car Crown Vics all day.  He gets off of work at 2:30 and then goes to work in his small shop until like 7 every night.  Seems like a tough life to me, but my impression of him is that he's just a really hard working guy trying to make a better living for his family.  His shop is just a one man operation and so one other thing I really liked is that he said I can be involved as much or as little as I want.  He's perfectly happy with me coming down there to help block sand or whatever.

I'm pretty excited about it although nervous at the same time.  He's basically the type of guy I was looking for because I didn't want to take it to a collision shop where the car would get pushed aside for insurance work.  So I was kind of looking for someone who would work on the car on the side.  I also wanted someone who was interested/excited about my car.  So this guy seemed really excited to work on a car like mine and he was really impressed with the work I've done so far.  He kept telling me, "wow, this looks really good, are you sure you've never done body work before?"  LOL  I told my wife he was just saying that to butter me up.    ;D   I'm thinking (hoping) that he's looking at my car as a way to really get his name out there.  The other business this guy runs is Speedliner spray on bedliners.  Speedliner's can be tinted and sprayed on smooth, so I'm going to go ahead and have him spray the bottom of the car lime green and inside the trunk and the floorboards if there is enough leftover. 

I'm taking the car to him next Saturday.  So I've been busting my butt trying to get it as ready as possible.  First thing I did was go over the floorboards top and bottom.  The car got rained on when I brought it home from the chassis shop so I had to clean up all the flash rusting.  Plus I cleaned up any welding slag, etc.  I then used Metal-2-Metal filler on the roof seam.  One lesson learned... I originally did a coat of epoxy primer under the Metal-2-Metal, but it didn't seem to adhere that well to me.  I haven't had that problem with regular body filler.  So I had to sand all of that out and start over with bare metal.  I think the Metal-2-Metal filler must only rely on mechanical adhesion.  After I got it really close with the metal filler I then did a light skim coat of regular body filler.

Travis
72 Cuda

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:58:50 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2008 - 02:13:26 AM »
Some of the other little things that have been bugging me was the bottom of the package tray had surface rust all over it.  So I cleaned that as best I could with Picklex and then covered it with black Zero Rust.  It makes me feel better having done that although no one will ever see it unless they stick their head in the trunk.  :P

In the doors the factory undercoat had been flaking off in spots where there were door dings.  So I attacked it with a screwdriver and a scraper and it came off in big chucks.  Then more clean up of the metal with Picklex.  BTW, the door access holes have sharp edges... ouch!

Also I ordered a fiberglass dual scoop Cuda hood from Glasstek and it arrived after only a few days.  It's the bolt on model.  Looks like really nice quality fiberglass.  I weighed it and it was 36 lbs if anyone is interested.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 01:01:32 AM by Travis72 »

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2008 - 05:36:34 AM »
Hey Travis ! You´re doing a great job, it will be fun to see it with color :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline certifiablecuda

• Rust Loves Me
    • Certifiable Jeep
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2008 - 05:48:17 AM »
I have used Zero Rust on all the frames I have done for the Jeeps I have restored and funny enough, was using it last night.  I usually run the first coat with the red oxide color and then the 2nd and sometimes 3rd with black so I know I have total coverage.  If you can't see the red, you know you have a good covering and the mils start to add up as well.

The car looks great.  I am gearing up for mine, once I finish this last Jeep I have been working on now for a long long time.  I hear you on not being able to find time.  Seems like I can't string more then 2 hours together at a clip.  Once you take all the tools out and start working, it is time to clean up and go inside. 

Good luck!

cb
1971 `Cuda 383 Auto
2005 Dodge Ram CTD 2500
1976 Jeep CJ-5 - RED
1976 Jeep CJ-5 - ORANGE
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - SILVER
1982 Jeep CJ-8 a.k.a Daughter Scramber Project

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2008 - 01:08:40 PM »
nice clean work man...  :2thumbs:  keep it up, It will be cruizin`the roads again in no time...
I don`t know the metal2metal, but I`m guessing it`s a kind of alu-oxide filler...?   Those do need to be applied to bare metal usually... glad you took it of...
good luck with the body guy  :wave:
*** Bart ***

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2008 - 04:26:17 PM »
Glad you found the "right guy" to paint your car, that's got to be a big relief! I'm thinking of doing all the little stuff you did before mine goes in (if and when) as well.
I have the same problem CB has too...setup and cleanup leaves little time to get stuff done in a small garage....
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2008 - 05:31:37 PM »
Wow!!! The effort you are putting into that car is incrediable!!!! Very nice detail and an awesome car!!! :wow: :droolingbounce:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2008 - 08:12:19 PM »
Ssound like a great score on the body guy Travis, How long will he have it?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...