Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219616 times)

Offline certifiablecuda

• Rust Loves Me
    • Certifiable Jeep
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2008 - 11:45:50 AM »
Glad you found the "right guy" to paint your car, that's got to be a big relief! I'm thinking of doing all the little stuff you did before mine goes in (if and when) as well.
I have the same problem CB has too...setup and cleanup leaves little time to get stuff done in a small garage....

The only good news on the other project front is that I have a couple days coming up that I am taking off from work.  The wife will be away as well, so it is hopefully going to be 2 full days in the garage so the overnight from 1 day to the next I don't ahve to worrry about cleaning up!!!!!!
1971 `Cuda 383 Auto
2005 Dodge Ram CTD 2500
1976 Jeep CJ-5 - RED
1976 Jeep CJ-5 - ORANGE
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - SILVER
1982 Jeep CJ-8 a.k.a Daughter Scramber Project

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2008 - 12:14:46 PM »
Lookin pretty sharp!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2008 - 12:39:29 PM »
That is looking really sweet!  :droolingbounce:

Offline Travis72

« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2008 - 02:10:50 AM »
Thanks all for the comments.  The body guy will have the car at least 2 months.  Hopefully he won't have to re-do too much of the work I've done. :D  It's obviously not going to be a 35k show quality paint job, since I'm not paying for that, so I'm trying to set my expectations to a reasonable level.  I've had friends who had 5k paint jobs who complain about the quality because it's not 100% perfect and I'm trying to not be that way.

I'm very lucky in that I have a 3 car garage.  It's actually shaped like L (previous owner of the house added on the 2 car part).  So my wife can still park her Jeep in the 1 car and the 2 car garage is dedicated to the Cuda.  When I first started in to rebuilding the Cuda I had the same problem that I was spending too much time moving stuff around just to work on the car.  I know for me that finally getting the garage organized so that I could just go out there and start working on the car made a big difference in my motivation.

So I pushed the car out of the garage and took some pictures.  The front body panels are not aligned that well since I was doing it by myself, the passenger side fender is all dented and the doors don't have any weatherstripping so they are pushed in too far.  But it's still exciting to see it since it's the first time all the body panels have been on the car in a couple of years and with the bumper and spoiler on it's starting to look more like the rendering.  :)

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:47:10 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2008 - 11:50:37 AM »
Do you have any plans on the interior? this is going to be one heck of a ride.

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2008 - 01:55:40 PM »
this is going to be one heck of a ride.
  :iagree: It's looking great!
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2008 - 03:57:59 PM »
 :clapping:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2008 - 05:25:16 PM »
How do you plan to stay out of trouble with the cops right across the street?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2008 - 07:44:05 PM »
 :clapping:     :wave:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Travis72

« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2008 - 02:28:15 PM »
Time for a long overdue update.  I posted these pictures inline to make it easier to see what I'm talking about.

Well the front rims and tires on the car are only temporary to clear the brakes and allow me to push the car around.  One problem with them is they don't have enough backspacing so they stick out all the way to the fender edge  (17 inch rims with 4" of backspacing and 255/45/17 tires).  This caused them to fit the front wheel lip edge and not even come close to clearing before it even got half way to full lock.  I remember back when I tried to put 245's on the front of the Cuda before and had the same basic problem.  In fact both of the original front fenders were damaged from tires that didn't fit right.  I don't know if "special" Hemi or AAR Cuda fenders actually exist, but I'm betting just the individual tolerances of each car allow some people to run 245's while others can't.

So on the original passenger fender, I needed to go ahead and weld up the tear in the metal in the wheel lip.  So I bent it back to it's original shape (more or less, but the very bottom is rolled in more then the repo fender, however I don't know which one is actually correct) and then welded up the tear both by the front valance and on the wheel well lip.

Given the damage I decided to go ahead and notch the front fenders for tire clearance.  I used this old Car Craft article as inspiration:

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/1043/index.html

So in this picture you can see how much I rolled the lip over.

I then trimmed the lip back down to size using tape as a guide.

At that point the tire cleared, but just barely.  Since I would like to try and run 275's up front, I decided to take a pie cut out of the very bottom for more clearance.

So I welded that up.

Then ground down the welds.

And now it clears!

Here's how it looks with the tires straight ahead.  Amazing how much clearance it has going straight.

Here's how it looks directly to the side.  I think the natural curve of the wheel well arch still looks pretty good!

I also put all my body weight on the front fender to ensure that it would still clear with the suspension slightly compressed and it was still OK.  My only worry is with the engine in the car and all the other weight that I'll lose some clearance, but I think everything should still clear.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:51:46 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2008 - 02:31:58 PM »
It was one thing to cut and re-weld a fender that was already damaged and needed repaired and re-welded, but it was another thing entirely to cut up a brand new $600 repo fender.  However, even with my limited skills, after seeing how the passenger side came out I decided to go ahead do the drivers side.

When I started this thread I told myself that I would use it to post both good and bad things that happen while rebuilding my car so that others can learn from my mistakes.  This is one of those times.  I decided to not hammer and dolly the edge over and instead just take a big pie cut out of the edge.  The first thing I did wrong was I didn't measure twice, cut once.  So the cut didn't end up providing a nice gentle curve like the other side.  I needed to step back from the car and look at it before I cut.  So after cutting it looked like this (I know... awful).

I was pretty mad at myself, so I didn't actually take very many pictures of the process, but I ended up having to splice back in some of the metal and reshaping it.  After much welding, grinding, re-welding, more grinding it finally ended up looking like this and providing this much clearance.

It actually doesn't look too bad from the front angle.

However from the side, there is a definite spot where you can see it angles to the front.  I just didn't make the angle gentle enough.  I'm going to have the body guy look at it and see if he can blend it in more.  I thought about cutting up higher and trying to blend more, but I figured I would just end up cutting higher and higher before I ended up at the top of the wheel well.  So I decided to quit while I was ahead.

Anyway, just something to consider if your car is in bare metal and you want more tire clearance in the front.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:53:39 AM by Travis72 »

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2008 - 04:53:54 PM »
Looking good bro.  I always enjoy checking in on this thread!  Im very excited to see the finished product!

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2008 - 05:14:31 PM »
Looking good bro.  I always enjoy checking in on this thread!  Im very excited to see the finished product!

Don
:iagree: It's going to be one sweet ride! Once it's painted I bet no one will notice the reshaping.
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #193 on: December 29, 2008 - 12:35:58 AM »
It's going to be a great ride. Looks good Travis!
Wes

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2008 - 06:43:07 PM »
  I remember back when I tried to put 245's on the front of the Cuda before and had the same basic problem.  In fact both of the original front fenders were damaged from tires that didn't fit right.  I don't know if "special" Hemi or AAR Cuda fenders actually exist, but I'm betting just the individual tolerances of each car allow some people to run 245's while others can't.

I have an original big block car, the Alter-k-tion's track is wider but my 17x8's with 245/45's fit fine. I don't know if it is your fenders or your wider track is messing you up. Are your wheels 8" wide?

My only worry is with the engine in the car and all the other weight that I'll lose some clearance, but I think everything should still clear.

I set the suspension up before the engine (360 block) was in and didn't have to touch anything after. The coil over fronts seem to be able to be set up w/o engine and not change much at all when installed. You could probably set it up about one inch higher than your desired height. I know mine didn't drop much at all.
Pics are before and after. I wish I had the same profile of the car for the with and w/o pics but maybe this will give you an idea of how much droop it has with engine in.

Even though my car is running and driving I think you are going to beat me to the finish line. I still need to do some work to it before I tear it down for paint.
Maybe we should start a Cuda w/ Alter-K and Air Bar, 5 speed, 3G Hemi/LA engine club. LOL