72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219601 times)

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2009 - 10:43:07 PM »
 :jumping: :crazy: :hyper: Your at the kid on Christmas Eve spot! It's looking great. I can't wait, bet your going nuts! I love Lime light/ Sub-lime It was between that and Hemi orange for the Conv. Guess the orange won. For some reason it never came up for the Twisted Fish  :dunno:
do you have the hood inserts glued in?   looks to be fitting real nice in the pic...
How hard was that to do with your hood?  I would like to do something like that or like what confederate cuda did with his to mine.
Am I missing somthing here? :clueless: They both have hood inserts just fit nice I can see the seams and nuts on the back side. 
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2009 - 11:56:10 PM »
Actually they are glued in because it's a one piece fiberglass hood!   ;D  I love the look of the stock raisin bran hood, but wanted the light weight of the fiberglass.  It's made by Glasstek and is really nice quality.  Even though I know it doesn't do anything for cold air performance, I went ahead and cut the scoops out.  Mainly because I would have gotten tried of hearing all the comments from all the non-Mopar folks saying it's a "fake" hood scoop.  Since it's fiberglass it was really easy to drill the holes out for the hood pins.

The only thing I'm not real happy about are the hood hinges.  My stock hinges were a sloppy mess, so I bought new repo ones and pulled the springs off.  The new ones are so stiff that the hood stays open without a prop rod or anything and you have to manhandle it up.  I really don't want to pay the $700 for billet hood hinges, but that might be my only option for a smooth opening hood.  Otherwise I might play around with trying to use a small gas lift strut like the billet hood hinges use.  Anyone tried that yet?

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #242 on: September 10, 2009 - 02:11:10 AM »
wow....  it fits really nice.  never would have thought it was a glass hood  :clapping:
I don`t think the open scoops will do more than getting the hot air out a little quicker,  which is always good ofcourse.
Have you tried to loosen the rivets of the new hinges?   lay the big head of the rivet over the hole in an anvil or something, and hit the rivetted side with a punch     ( 1/4" or so... as long as it`s smaller than the hole for the rivet )  Just take your time doing that , all of them could be too tight, but maybe it`s just one....
*** Bart ***

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2009 - 04:46:40 AM »
 :iagree: I would try to Loosen them up a little
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2009 - 10:56:01 AM »
When I installed my fiberglass hood years ago, I went to the salvage yard and found some lightweight springs off of something with a small hood. They worked great.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Travis72

« Reply #245 on: September 10, 2009 - 11:26:58 PM »
Good advice on the rivets!  I'll try that.  Thanks guys!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2009 - 05:11:59 PM »
My car wouldn't be much without you and yours.  You've helped more than you know. Do I smell paint...?  :stirpot: Keep up the AWSOME job! Travis What kinduv pins are those.I like the black.Don't worry... Your close. And I'm about to rip mine apart! :screwy:    R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2009 - 08:50:53 AM »
Travis,
I like the pins also...what are they? Ring Brothers or Hood Pins.net?
Nice.

Wes
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009 - 07:11:16 AM by MoparCar »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2009 - 01:46:16 AM »
Good guess Wes.  Yeah they are from hoodpins.net.  I think the black fits the rest of the car.  :-)

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2009 - 08:16:24 AM »
Big weekend....Mayweather/Marquez fight and Travis's car getting painted

Huh I wonder which one I am more amped to see...hahaha
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine its green now... maybe too green?
« Reply #250 on: September 20, 2009 - 11:52:41 PM »
Well it's been a long exhausting/draining weekend.  Took the car to a rented paint booth late Friday.  We got there early Saturday and spent most of the day prepping the car and finding little things here and there that we were fixing as we went.  It's amazing how long it takes just masking and cleaning the car, etc.  The Saturday morning TV shows sure make it look easy :roflsmiley:  but it's a lot of work.

Here's the car on the trailer on Friday night.  It was funny how many looks the car got on the freeway even in primer.

Once we finally got it in the booth we painted the tailpanel black and the front and rear spoilers.  We used a flattening agent in the clear at a 70% clear, 30% flattening ratio.  I wanted a semi-gloss type look.  I didn't want the stock flat textured black or a full gloss black, so that's why we flattened it a little.

After that we masked off the back and shot a coat of sealer.

It was getting late and both the painter and myself were exhausted at this point but we shot a couple coats of base coat (BASF Diamont).  However it was coming out mottled and tiger stripping.  So we called it a night at 9 pm since the owners of the booth wanted to lock up.

Sunday morning the painter lightly sanded the car.  He then took the regulator off his gun and just regulated it at the wall and shot two more coats of base that laid down good.  Then finally the coats of clear (Diamont DC 5335 "Glamour Clear").  The downdraft booth actually wasn't that great and we still ended up with a little trash in the paint, but it at least allowed us to bake the paint.  The booth owners let us leave it in there all day Sunday after the bake cycle and I went and picked it up at 5 pm.

So before I get to the "after" pictures, we had one BIG problem.  The paint store had a hard time getting the limelight formula correct.  Since I had painted the engine bay myself with PPG, when they first mixed up a quart of BASF Diamont it looked way too "pale" to me and just didn't pop.  So who knows, maybe the PPG was never mixed right??????  So because of that the painter shot a test panel using my old PPG and he took to the paint store to have them match the paint and so I bought 1.5 gallons of that custom matched mix. 

The painter shot the front and rear valance off the car using the 1/2 gallon of paint earlier in the week.  And we used the rest of that half gallon for the first two coats on the car.  When we switched over to the full gallon late Saturday night that batch seemed more green, like it didn't have enough yellow (at least compared to the first batch).  Since we had to get out the booth, I told him to keep going.  So I guess the first mistake we made was not mixing the 1/2 gallon and the gallon together.   :(

So anyway the car looks good, however I don't think it's exactly limelight because it's too green (at least in my eyes?).  However, I know when I go to car shows it seems like all the limelight/sublime cars are all slightly different shades.  The interesting thing is that in certain lights or under the camera flash it looks close.  Take a look and let me know what you guys think.

I kind of like this picture that my wife took as I was backing the trailer towards the shop (keep in mind that the rear valance is from the first 1/2 gallon of paint).  However in this light it looks pretty close to limelight???

In the fading light doesn't look too off:

However, with the flash off the camera in a dimmer shop bay it seems more like half way between limelight and sassy grass green?

With the flash on this time.  Compare the rear valance to the rear of the quarter panel and you can see the shade difference.

Again with the flash on it looks close???  Maybe it's just all the gloss in the clear that makes it look so different then the old single stage enamel that I had on there?

Anyway, he's going to repaint the front and rear valances to match.  Plus he has to color sand and buff.  I told him to give me a few days.  I might go down to the shop during the daytime tomorrow to look at it in the direct sunlight.  I just need to make sure I'm good with the color as is.

The body work/paint job turned out pretty good.  It's not perfect but it's not a $10K paint job and for what's he's charged me I'm happy with the overall work that was done.  I know the panel fitment is better than it's ever been since I've owned the car.

Travis
72 Cuda

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:39:51 AM by Travis72 »

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #251 on: September 21, 2009 - 12:07:10 AM »
 :cheers: I dont know what the color is but I think it looks great in the pics!
The TV shows make every thing look easy.  :swear: Then people don't have any idea how long and hard it is to build a quality car  :clueless:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #252 on: September 21, 2009 - 08:04:14 AM »
:cheers: I dont know what the color is but I think it looks great in the pics!
The TV shows make every thing look easy.  :swear: Then people don't have any idea how long and hard it is to build a quality car  :clueless:

:iagree: its tuff to get a car right...

I love the green it looks good light plays a big differance on paint and how it looks on film or pixels or what ever its called nowdays.  :bricks1:

Give us a full sun shot and a full shade shot when you can.

CAR LOOKS GREAT!  :bananasmi
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2009 - 08:31:17 AM »
Man I never get tired of looking at this thread!  One comment, the color you ended up with weather it be correct or not looks closer to your sketches than the color on the rear valance...  So maybe it will work for you?  I like the darker color from what I can tell in the pics, and you are correct all these hi-impact color are often different shades due to mixtures and all that so if its a shade or two off I wouldnt sweat it.  Its like Chryco always says that nobody can get FC7 right its either has too much of this or that in it and often is incorrect.  So what Im trying to say is your car looks AWESOME bro!  Great job.  I really have enjoyed watching this thread over the years.

Don
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 - 08:32:59 AM by The Cuda Guy »
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2009 - 08:34:25 AM »
Awesome Travis,
Looks great!!!  :cheers: I think the paint looks very good. Match the valences and nobody will ever question how "true" the color is to the original factory. Beside like all of our Pro Touring type cars, theirs not much factory left in it.......

Now the fun can begin when it all starts coming together. Can't wait to see the 6.1 sitting in there!

Wes