72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219599 times)

Offline Confederate Cuda

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2009 - 09:34:48 AM »
Looks great Travis,
Have fun putting it back together!
Mark

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2009 - 12:32:05 PM »
way to go travis  :woohoo:   I think the color looks fabulous  :clapping:    Too bad about the difference in shade with the valance, but I`m sure when you`ve got the entire car back together, you won`t see it anymore... 
let the fun part begin  :cheers:
*** Bart ***

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2009 - 02:37:31 PM »
I didn't know if you were going to have photos up this quick.  The car looks great, absolutely beautiful.  I have always like sublime cars and the color of the car I really like. 

Good luck with putting it back together too, you will get the colors figured out.  All apart of the process, if putting cars together were easy and ALWAYS followed the plan everyone would put them together. 
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - it's finally home
« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2009 - 08:01:22 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys!  I spent the day looking at the FJ5 pictures from the aarta.com color webpage and you can tell that depending on the camera and the lighting there is a wide variation in how the color looks in pictures.   After that I went down there and took pictures of my car in the sunlight and I'm happy with it now.  Seeing it in daylight makes a difference.... it really does glow (which is why if you're doing a 100% resto you wouldn't want to use base/clear).  The painter is going to paint the front and rear valances to match and I think everything will be great.   Here's some pictures from today (ignore the hand prints on the passenger front fender)   ;D

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:27:49 AM by Travis72 »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2009 - 07:21:00 AM »
My eyes.... My eyes.... :22yikes:

the car looks great in the sun Travis  :bigshades:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline thesado

• 1972 Barracuda 318 GY4
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2009 - 09:34:33 AM »
Man, I am lovin this thread.  Doing a great job with that car.  I am inspired!

:2thumbs:

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2009 - 09:26:30 AM »
looks like a pickle   :poopoke:     

All that sanding/grinding/swearing really came out nice! Dude,That looks really good.The color is like that. I've seen factory paints look different sitting right next to each other too. I think yours is perfect,Don't waste another doubt.  Don't worry... with that color...Nobody will miss it going down the road. I follow a sublime 70 charger a lot at shows/cruises. And I get tired of looking at the back of peoples heads.Most don't even notice me behind him. It's that green! :bigshades:     Fun times ahead Travis!! Hope it's going good for you down there.  Thanx for all you're help.  R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up- it's finally home
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2009 - 01:37:46 PM »
Well I finally brought the car home.  It still needs a little bit of work.  For example, under the harsh fluorescent lights in my garage I noticed a couple spots that need re-buffed and a spot on the hood that needs re-shot.  But I'm just glad it's home.  I pushed it out in the sun and took a couple quick pictures.

Next up re-assembly.  I'm trying to think through all the re-assembly steps to ensure that I do things in the proper order and don't repeat steps.  Right now I'm trying to research power windows.... it looks like most of the kits out there have their issues.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:28:40 AM by Travis72 »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - its finally home
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2009 - 02:48:42 PM »
Looks so cool. Man that makes me miss my Limlight 'Cuda   :sadwavey:   Have a great time putting her back together.   :cheers:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #264 on: November 28, 2009 - 03:24:36 PM »

I'm GREEN with ENVY

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #265 on: November 28, 2009 - 08:35:50 PM »
Looks great Travis :bigsmile:

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2009 - 11:25:55 PM »
Sure feels good to get it home doesn't it. Looks great.   :cheers:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2010 - 10:52:26 PM »
Finally some more progress.  All along I've wanted to get mini-lite style rims for the Cuda and I figured I would get the Vintage Wheel Works V48s (those are the rims on the rendering of my Cuda).   However, finally a new company called NewGen that Driverz Inc sells, has come out with a more "modern" looking mini-lite.  The advantages of these are any type of finish is available, plus they are CNC machined from forged aluminum with any backspacing.  I put down a deposit on these back in the fall before one was even built (I was going off the drawing of the wheel).  Anyway, the first set of these was finally built (not mine but they are close).  I plan on going with the polished outer with a matte black powdercoated center.  Here's some pics:

I think they will look pretty sweet.  So now I need to measure for sizes to finalize my wheel order.  So I "rented" a Tire Mount Mate from Marty (SyborgTT on pro-touring.com) to mock up these tires I've had sitting around forever.  The Tire Mount Mate allows you to play around with various backspacing while holding the tire in place.  Here's what it looks like on the car. 

So I have a couple tires to play with.  The tire in the front of this picture is a 275/50/17 from a friends Dakota R/T.  I'm going to try and make that fit on the front of the car since it's the width I want to run, even though its a lot taller then I need (I'm only going to try and run a 275/40 in the front).   Behind that is a 315/35/17 and behind that is a 335/30/18.  This picture gives you an idea of the width differences in the tires.

So I first mocked up the 315 and that fit with a ton of clearance, so then I mounted up the 335. 

The only thing I don't like about the 335's 18's is I can only seem to find them in 30 series.  I wish someone made a 335/35/18 for a little more sidewall height.  They do make 335/35/17's, so right now that's the leading tire size candidate.  With the tire mounted in this position it was with a simulated 18x12" rim with 6 inches of backspacing.  I had ~1" to the quarter panel lip and over 1" to the lower 4 bar which is the next limiting factor.

I made sure and measured on both sides (that's why you see both shocks disconnect so that I could get the full range of motion).  I got the 275 mocked up on the front but only finished one side since again I had to remove the shocks, etc.  I'll post pics of the front later this week once I get I both sides done.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:31:34 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2010 - 11:10:06 PM »
The 335's look good.
Chris, Ohio

Offline Syborg tt

« Reply #269 on: January 31, 2010 - 11:52:54 PM »
I like the 335's - they look great.