72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219598 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - its finally home
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2010 - 12:17:14 AM »
Travis,
Make sure that you don't rub on the INNER wheel house when going around turns.  I put some deep backspacing wheels on a 71 Demon I had years ago. Everything was good till I started trying to turn fast.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2010 - 07:17:25 AM »
WOW! that tire is huge!!!!! Im guessing you atleast moved the springs in to get that under there? Car looks great,love the color!

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2010 - 07:42:03 AM »
Hey Travis,
Looking Great!
I'm really interested in the 275 fitment on the front! I'm definitely shooting for the same. Are the 335s you're mocking pretty close to the real tires you'll be getting? My 335 I'm using for mock up is a very wide 335. I didn't know there was such a variance until I got the Goodyear mock up tire and realized it was much wider than some.

Nice! Wes

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2010 - 07:48:33 AM »
wow thats a lotta rubber on the back of your car  :2thumbs:

looking good  :drool:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2010 - 01:41:25 AM »
I REALLY like those wheels. The deep dish look.  Rounded spokes. And you can see through them easy. Wonder how heavy they are?  Those are 18"?  I'd like to know pricing. 335's would be the way.I'm patiently waiting for rubber on my other set of hoops. GREAT choice Travis!!  I need to borrow that tire jig.   :clapping:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #275 on: February 02, 2010 - 03:13:54 PM »
i agree the whells are awesome and that is one helluva tire under there.
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2010 - 04:01:25 PM »
Hi Travis, Thanks a bunch for sharing your R&D with us. Really nice to have a reference
to someone else's experiences when you're thinking of doing something similar. Great
work! :ylsuper:  Jeff
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #277 on: May 06, 2010 - 08:04:48 PM »
Bump for one of my favorite rides on here.

Travis, care to shoot me the dimensions on the rearend. I'm looking into getting mine shortened and mini-tubbed too.

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #278 on: May 07, 2010 - 12:56:58 PM »
Great job on a great project!  :thumbsup:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2010 - 11:52:43 PM »
i love the way the wheels look... i guess i need to drop my challenger alot more....

Offline Travis72

« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2010 - 05:36:40 PM »
Time to finally update it for the last 6 months.   When the car was painted the painter touched up a spot on the front of the hood and the trunk lid and the paint didn't atomize that well. So the spots that were touched up stood out like a sore thumb.  So back in Feb, I took the car back to him to resand the hood and trunk lid and to repaint.  They came out really well but it slowed progress again.

Once the car was back and cut and buffed. I got the drip rails all cleaned up and spent a weekend polishing them.  It's a messy job that's not a lot of fun, but they came out pretty good.  Not perfect, but I'm happy.  I also go the door handles on.  I had to buy a new repo passenger side handle because my original one had a crack in the linkage. 

Then I painted the rollbar with Summit's Epoxy Chassis paint in satin black.  It came out good, but it was a pain to paint the top of the bars.  So I ended up using a brush just to get paint on those areas and then went back over it with paint from the gun to blend it in.  Obviously I should have painted the roll bar before I ever took it to the painter... another lesson learned.  Instead I had to be completely paranoid when masking the car.  The only over spray ended on the floor boards.  I had put plastic down in the interior, but once I was in the car and trying to maneuver around the rollbar all it did was tear the plastic away.  No big deal since no one will see the floorboards.  I also seam sealed all the various seams.  It probably wasn't needed since I already have bedliner in the interior, but I figure it can't hurt.

Anyway, the big news is that my rims and tires showed up.  I ended up ordering tires from Driver's Inc as well and had them delivered together.  I can't show the front because I pulled the front suspension in preparation for someday putting the engine in the car from below, but I at least put the rear tires on just for some pictures.  For these pictures I just put the rotor in place and didn't worry about installing the rear calipers.  I'll take more pictures later with the calipers installed.  I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but I went with a polished outer with a matte black powder coated center.  The tires are BFG KDWs (new tread pattern) and are 335/30/18 in the rear and 275/35/18 for the front.  The car still sits up too high in the rear (this is with the coilovers all the way at the bottom).  I'm hoping once the car gets some weight in it that it will sit lower, otherwise I'm going to have to get some shorter coilovers.

Finally the other major thing I got done was I painted the metal dash frame, steering column, upper and lower grilles.  I painted them with black base coat and clear coat with a flattener added.  The came out OK, but I think they are a little too glossy.  I might have to shoot them again with more flattener added.  Noticed the repaired area of the upper grille.

I think that's about it for now.  Thanks everybody for all the positive comments.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:26:10 AM by Travis72 »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #281 on: June 20, 2010 - 05:37:43 PM »
WOWSA!!      :worshippy

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #282 on: June 20, 2010 - 07:21:38 PM »
Bitchin  :wow:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
« Reply #283 on: June 20, 2010 - 07:33:31 PM »
 :droolingbounce: AMAZING!!!!
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2010 - 08:46:46 PM »
Travis it looks great and yes it will settle a good inch or so after you get all your stuff hanging on it.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...