72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219592 times)

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - its finally home
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2010 - 09:11:39 PM »
Man that thing looks mean!  Keep up the good work!   :2thumbs:

I can't wait until mine gets to paint and starts looking like a car too!  Those 18's look right at home on your car too.
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2010 - 09:42:02 PM »
Travis looking great!
Do you think you could fab a higher top mount for the shock to lower the ride height or would you have to cut into the trunk to do this? I would guess that is one of the reasons DSE does that on their Camaro quadralink. They fab theirs with about a 3" channel that cuts into the trunk and the shocks mount up into that channel. I can't remember with the Airbar type set up if the mounts could be modified?

Your car is looking awesome! I'm looking forward to you installing the 275s on the front. (I really want 275s on the front but am worried about clearance).

Wes

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2010 - 10:20:18 PM »
MoparCar  - that's what I did in my build to get the rear MUCH lower than stock.  Not sure what Travis' tire diameter is, but mine are 29 inches tall, and the frame is 5 inches off of the ground.
74 Dodge Challenger
(work in progress)

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2010 - 09:56:55 AM »
Looking good Travis!  Keep it up!

Offline Cuda54

« Reply #289 on: July 21, 2010 - 01:44:18 PM »
Any more updates on the 72? What motor are you going with? I would love to see the missing pics of the build. I have a 72 Cuda myself.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #290 on: August 24, 2010 - 09:55:31 PM »
Hey Travis,
Just bumping this to the top so you don't have to look so far to post that big update!  :bigsmile:

Wes

Offline Travis72

« Reply #291 on: August 25, 2010 - 12:03:59 AM »
Thanks Wes, that made it easy!   :D

Well I’ve been working really hard on the Cuda doing two major projects in parallel.  One is the power window setup from Nu-Relics and the other is the engine and transmission.  I’ll save the power window install for a future update (right now the windows are installed but not fully adjusted).

On the engine and transmission side, I bought the TKO-600 that Tony from Hurst Driveline (formerly Classic Mopar 5-speed) was selling here on cuda-challenger.  After that I bought a Quicktime SFI rated bellhousing, McLeod steel flywheel and ARP flywheel bolts (turns out either the bolts from the Ford 4.6L or the Pinto (!?!) are the correct size).  After doing a lot of research on clutches, I finally picked the McLeod RST twin disk clutch.  Its overkill for my present HP level, but it’s supposed to have a great light pedal feel and whenever I add some power adders to the Hemi I’ll be covered.  This was my first ever clutch install and luckily it went pretty smooth. 

When I first disassembled the Cuda way back when, I had only planned to fix some things and do the 5-speed conversion.  At that time I bought the Keisler hydraulic clutch kit (they were the only game in town back then).  It’s their original first gen kit where they had lots of problems with leaking throw out bearings.  So I didn’t trust it at all, so I bought the Ram hydraulic throw out bearing which is what Hurst Driveline includes in their conversion kits.  However, I’m planning on using the rest of the Keisler parts (master cylinder and reservoir). We’ll see how that works out.

If you’re read 808Cuda’s excellent thread on Moparts about installing a 6.1 in a Cuda (it’s in the Tech Archives and I used it as a reference for my swap), then some of this next part will be redundant.  The hardest part was removing the stock torque converter snout bushing that was in the back of the crankshaft.  That took a while.  Lot’s of careful cutting with a dremel to relieve stress and then finally I was able to use a blind hole bushing puller from Harbor Freight to get it out.  The way the bushing is in there I couldn’t get behind it like a pilot bushing so the “pack it with grease method” didn’t work.  So if you’re planning on running a 5.7 or 6.1 do that early and get it out of the way.

With the AlterKation a rear sump oil pan is required (the Milodon one for swaping with a stock K-member won’t work).  There are a couple of options including the truck 5.7 rear sump pan that Bouchillon sells, the Jeep SRT-8 pan or either the Charlie’s or Weldtech pans.  I bought a Jeep SRT-8 pan from Bob (Twisted Fish) with the intent of using that.  However after installing it, I came to the same conclusion that Bob did which is that the pan sits a little too low for a lowered car.  It hung down like 2” below the bellhousing and the AlterKation K-member.  For a pure street car or a drag racer it would be fine.  Here's how the Jeep pan looked.

So I ended up buying a pan from Charlie’s oil pan.  Here’s the Charlie’s pan which includes a baffle and a trap door.  You have to drill two holes in the rear corners of the oil pan gasket.  The stock oil pan doesn’t use the corner holes even though they are drilled and tapped.  The 4 large 15mm bolts are not used with the Charlie’s pan either.  On the plus side the Charlie’s pan is like 4 lbs lighter then the Jeep pan… lol

The other thing required is moving the main stud for the oil pickup from the #1 main to the 4th main.  Some people have just swapped the two bolts, however the bolts are torque to yield so I didn’t feel comfortable doing that and purchased new bolts.  I bought a complete main bolt kit (even includes the cross bolts) from Mopar for like 25 bucks, but you might be able to just purchase 1 main bolt and the one stud.   From the package of bolts that I got the stud is 6506333AA and the main bolts are 6506272AA (I’m not sure if you can buy just one main bolt). 

More to come.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:18:30 AM by Travis72 »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #292 on: August 25, 2010 - 05:44:27 AM »
 Great choice on the clutch Travis  :2thumbs:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - engine and trans install
« Reply #293 on: August 25, 2010 - 10:48:26 PM »
The rest of the update....

Finally after aligning the bellhousing and taking measurements for the hydraulic throw out bearing I mated everything up to the engine.  I also installed the TTI headers…. putting them on like this makes it the easiest header install ever!!!!   ;D  These are the model made for the AlterKation and they fit great and don’t hang down too low.  I was very impressed.

I then welded on some box tubing to my existing front caster setup which allowed me to lift the front of the car.  I’ve always wanted to try installing the engine from the bottom and it worked really well.  Being able to install the clutch, transmission and headers out in the open saved a bunch of headaches.  It would have sucked trying to install the transmission while laying on my back under the car.  I had two buddies over to help and we first lifted the car from the side which allowed us to move the engine in to position.

Once it was about half way down we put the body on jack stands and moved the hoist to the front.

There were two hiccups… one the alternator had to come off to fit up in to the engine bay (it caught on the overhang top lip of the front frame rail).  However, once the engine was fully installed then the alternator fit fine (it sits above the lip).

The other thing that came up was the 5-speed comes with a cutout template, but I had to cut mine oversize to clear a tab on the transmission.  No big deal since the sheet metal piece provided to cover the hole is so large.

So after getting the engine all nestled in to place I hooked the front suspension back up for hopefully the last time (it’s been in and out of the car like 3 times).  I also put the front brake calipers on and torqued everything down.

I thought about just leaving the crappy tires and wheels on the car, but after all that work I just had to put the wheels and tires on the car!!!  :D    The great news is that at least when the car is sitting still the 275s in the front clear everything.  I’m happy with the ride height in the front, but I think it still needs to be like an inch lower in the rear.  Maybe once the gas tank, battery, interior and things like that are installed it will come down in the rear, otherwise I’ll have to buy shorter shocks.

It’s kind of neat that the dish on the rear rims is so deep that from a lot of angles it looks like they are just polished.

My wife took this “artsy” picture and I was teasing her about it when she was taking the picture, but it really came out great.

Front tires with the 275s.

I remember the old Hooker headers I had on the 340 and how they hung down so low below everything else on the car, so I like how the TTIs are basically level with everything.

Well that’s my big update.  Need to install the tunnel patch this weekend and work on the power windows some more (the drivers side is working pretty good, but the passenger side is giving me all sorts of trouble).  Then finally work on the interior and wiring.  Things like the computer to run the engine and the plumbing will have to wait until next year’s tax return.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:22:59 AM by Travis72 »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - engine and trans installed
« Reply #294 on: August 26, 2010 - 03:57:48 AM »
very impressive  :drool:  :burnout:
*** Bart ***

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #295 on: August 26, 2010 - 09:27:51 AM »
 :wow:   Travis!  Way to go!!!  Looks GREAT!!  :clapping:     I wanted to go lower.Bill said lighter coils.Not shorter shox. :dunno: Luv the headers.Cool clutch... And those wheels are dope!   Keep up all the good work over there. R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #296 on: August 26, 2010 - 10:27:21 AM »
 :droolingbounce: That is just plain awesome!  :2thumbs: I'm really impressed with the progress you have made.
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #297 on: August 26, 2010 - 01:06:40 PM »
Lookin' good! :bigsmile:
74 Dodge Challenger
(work in progress)

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #298 on: August 26, 2010 - 02:05:44 PM »
Sweet! Well done!
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2010 - 02:07:58 PM »
Travis-Awesome!!!! :cheers:

Wes