72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219584 times)

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - engine and trans installed
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2010 - 04:41:14 PM »
Sweet!!!   :wow:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Raw Untamed

« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2011 - 03:43:05 AM »
Hey Travis, where is that write-up about rebuilding door hinges?  You mentioned someone named Cody.  Can you give me a link to this or something?  I'd like to replace the S springs, pins, and bushings in mine, but I don't really know how.

Thanks.  I have learned worlds from your threads.
Joey

71 Challenger

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2011 - 08:07:36 AM »
Good job! Looks fantastic! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #303 on: January 31, 2011 - 11:29:59 PM »
Looks awesome!  Love the wheels  :2thumbs:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #304 on: March 20, 2011 - 03:48:29 AM »
Hi all,

Time for another update on the extremely slow progress on my Cuda.  Due to work I didn’t have any time to work on the car in October and early November.  To be honest I haven’t even been able to keep up on here (even just as a lurker) as much as I would like.

Anyway on to the update. At Thanksgiving I was able to get back at it.  I’ve been using Second Skin Audio Damplifer and put a layer of that on the firewall and on the roof.  I then put a layer of the Heat Wave Pro over that on the roof.  I plan to use that same combo on the firewall and on the floorboards under the front seats.  Since I’m in AZ I need all the thermal insulation I can get.   ;D

In my usual tradition of a couple steps forward, a couple steps backwards I decided I wasn’t happy with the tail section black paint.  When I painted it back in June it had a lot of what I would call dry overspray or texture on it.  I’m not sure if it was too hot and flashing off too quick or if I just screwed it up in the actual spraying.  I used flattening agent in the clear coat (30%) to give it a semi-gloss look.  So at first I attempted to wet sand it out with 1500 grit knowing that if I sanded it and polished it, then it would be full gloss.  So I was thinking I could convince myself that it would be OK….. but I ended up accidentally sanding in to the base coat.  So at that point I ended up sanding everything with 600 and recoating the entire panel.  The good news is that it came out MUCH better this time (again with the 30% flattening agent).  The 60 deg December weather probably helped.

I spent a while cleaning up the stock tail lights with plastic cleaner and plastic polish.  They came out good, except one of them has some small sun cracks.  It’s only noticeable up close and in the interest of getting the car running I’m not going to worry about it for now plus they could always be changed out easily in the future.  Some day I’d like to do custom LED tails so that’s the time I’ll change it.  In this picture I just mocked up the rear spoiler for looks.

The other thing I got done over the holiday break is I got all the brake lines installed.  I went with Fine Line brake lines even knowing that I would have to modify them some due to the subframe connectors, hydroboost, etc.  I figured it was still easier then just attempting to start with straight lengths of brake line.  I also installed the Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve and the master cylinder.  I had forgotten about the rear flex line but ended up getting a Wagner one on closeout for $17 from Rock Auto.  It fit great and looked like the stock one.  The picture below is before I found the bracket and spacer to connect the two lines.

I also got the hydraulic clutch hooked up at the same time.  I used a Motive power bleeder on the brakes which allowed me to do it by myself and it worked really well for a while but then started leaking out of the master cylinder cap.  The clutch I bled with a friend and it took a long time but it finally worked.  I think I experienced real joy when with the transmission in gear you could push in the clutch and turn the output yoke!   :lol2:

Once I got my tax return I went on a buying spree    :D   I bought the complete FAST setup from Rich at FASTMAN EFI.  The new XFI 2.0 firmware will be out soon which is supposed to self-tune so it should be a nice setup.  The hard plastic case on top is for the 92mm cable TB surrounded by foam.  I think it’s the nicest packaging of any car part I’ve ever bought.   :lol2:

Here’s a shot of the new TB installed.  You can also just make out the Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve.  I also removed all the stock 6.1 hemi wiring.  Before the FAST showed up I didn’t know if any of the stock wiring was needed or not.  It turns out the FAST system replaces all of the wiring.  The one thing I did do was take apart the stock 6.1 hemi harness to scavenge the main power wire off the alternator.  It’s a nice heavy gauge wire with a fusible link on the end of it, so I figure I can reuse it.  Anyway if you’re going to use the FAST system with the 5.7 or 6.1 you can take off all of the wiring before you even install the engine.

The other thing I bought was the Vintage Air system minus the AC compressor (the stock 6.1 hemi compressor works fine).  To mount the Vintage Air Gen IV box they want you to drill holes and run bolts through the firewall.  Unfortunately I’ve already smoothed and painted my firewall.  This lack of planning on my part meant I had to make custom mounts.   :(  My advice is to buy and mock up all of your parts prior to going in to paint.  Or in lieu of that take a look at Vintage Air’s website and their install instructions and weld studs to the inside of the firewall in the proper place before painting the car.  I ended up making some simple angle iron right angle brackets and bolting them up through the top of the cowl.  I’ll cover the bolt heads in the cowl with silicone to water proof them.  It’s not a perfect solution but it is solidly mounted.  Here’s how the Gen IV box looks installed in the car.

Here’s a close up of the mounting brackets.

I also wired up the gauges and fitted in a JVC CD player and reassembled all of the dash.  My gauge panel looks a little dated now especially compared to some of the sweet custom ones that folks on this site have made, but it will have to do for now.  It was nice to make some room and actually put the dash back in the car, however I’ll probably have to pull it back out at least once more.  I still have to make holes in the firewall for the huge FAST EFI harness, the heater hoses and the AC hoses (again I wish I would have done all these things before it was painted).

Finally I got both the lower and upper grilles installed in the car along with the AAR fiberglass front bumper.  I had to make my 3rd set of custom bumper mounts to finally get it mounted right.  It needs a little sanding to fit better on the passenger side.  I’m hoping I can do that with having to repaint the bumper.  We’ll see.  I also haven’t decided on if I’m going to do the front blackout paint or not yet.  I know most Mopar folks say you have to do it, but I’m going to wait until the radiator and AC condenser are installed and then decide.  I’m worried if I black everything out it will wash out the grille and you’ll miss the detail in the grille.  The hood is open in these pictures because I hadn’t hooked up the remote hood release yet and it’s a pain to open with the grill now installed. LOL  On the plus side, it now at least looks like a complete car.

Anyway that’s it for now.  I’m working on the wiring and trying to figure out where to mount the two FAST ECUs (any advice?).  I also have to figure out where to mount my battery in the trunk because the roll bar prevents mounting it in the very rear passenger side (again any advice?).

Travis
72 Cuda

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011 - 11:08:20 AM by Travis72 »

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #305 on: March 20, 2011 - 04:33:25 AM »
Bravo!  :thumbsup:  That car is coming along beautifully!
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2011 - 09:25:41 AM »
That looks awesome  :wow:
How about a trunk shot showing the corner and roll bar mount.  :picture:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2011 - 09:38:19 AM »
Travis,
Great update! It'll be driving soon. Awesome!
Wes

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2011 - 11:51:56 AM »
that looks great  :wow:

glad to see I`m not the only one going slow...  :biggrin:
*** Bart ***

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #309 on: March 20, 2011 - 05:26:33 PM »
NICE UPDATE!!!  WoW you've made some great progress dude!! :ylsuper:  Looking fantastic!! :clapping: R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2011 - 06:14:24 PM »
Wow sure looks great!  :2thumbs:  I'm liking the color too! :naughty:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Travis72

« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2011 - 06:19:29 PM »
Thanks all.  It feels like it will still be forever until it runs, although my goal is to actually start the engine by the end of the year.  It won't be driveable at that point but just starting it would be a huge milestone.

Scott, here's some shots of the trunk.  No way to squeeze a battery and box around the roll bar.   :-\

I was thinking maybe on top of the shock crossmember?  It's pretty tight height wise but the Taylor aluminum battery box will clear.  I just need to attempt to actually muscle it all in to place and see if it will really work or not. 

Travis

Offline Travis72

« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2011 - 06:23:56 PM »
Today I made a quick bracket out of some sheet aluminum that I had.  Here's where I'm considering mounting the ECUs.  I'd make another bracket to mount the other ECU on top of this one but I ran out of aluminum.  It would require cutting the kick panel to make it fit but I haven't figured out a better location yet.  I'm still considering some sort of custom metal glovebox but I haven't figured out a design yet.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2011 - 07:19:07 PM »
Travis,
that battery wont fit between the bar and the fender?

What if you lay it on its side under the bar?

Put the other ECM under the dash between the column and the door jamb above heater controls is a space if you lay on your back and look up you'll see it.

if you do the glove box use the cardboard box as a template and it will fit perfectly back into the hole.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2011 - 07:16:03 PM »
what did u make the bumper brackets out of? i have the same bumper and need a better way to mount it. i see u didn't put holes in the bumper u got a pic? did u fiberglass the mounts to the bumper? thats a really sweet car u got!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)