72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219576 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - engine and trans installed
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2011 - 08:34:50 PM »
The guys with the custom Hot Rods use 2 6V Optimas wired in series. That box will fit between the roll bar and fender. Looks great!
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Travis72

« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2011 - 12:58:47 AM »
Scott you are right, if I lay the battery over it just barely fits... however the NHRA approved battery box won't.   I'll play around with it some more this weekend.

Shelbydogg, I didn't even know you could get 6V Optimas.  Interesting.

barracuda7199, I made the bumper brackets out of some 1x1 steel box tubing and some flat stock.  Nothing fancy.  They angle up based on the angle of the 2 bolt holes in the frame rails.  I really wanted to make them out of aluminum but I don't have the capability of welding aluminum.  I used carriage bolts that I fiberglassed in to the back of the bumper and then bolted it to the bracket.  I got the bolts in the approximate location and then built the brackets with slotted openings to make them fit.  Here's some pictures.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Cuda Commando

« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2011 - 06:18:58 PM »
That is going to be one cool Cuda when it hits the street. :smokin:

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2011 - 09:30:26 PM »
Travis,
Check out Braille Batteries also. Really small compared to an Optima if you can't make it work. Not sure about the approved box for it though.
Wes

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2011 - 09:51:45 PM »
sweet thanks for the pics thats what i had in mind as well! thats a really nice car your building!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2011 - 09:56:57 PM »
Looking great! I'm a little partial to the colour too! :grinyes:
The rear gears you sold me are still working great! Thanks again!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #322 on: April 09, 2011 - 05:52:15 PM »
I've been watch the replies but havent been on in a while. Glad to see the progress. It always  a challenge to stuff 110 gallons of stuff it a 10 gallon hat! I spent a lot of time tring to fit every thing and make serviceable.  :eek4:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2011 - 12:30:56 PM »
Love what you have done with the car!!
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Travis72

« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2011 - 10:35:45 PM »
I keep telling myself to make smaller more frequent updates but it never seems to work out…..So over the next few days I’m going to try and catch up on all these posts to where I’m at with the car now.  Basically I’ve been working every weekend on the wiring.  Its hard to show any progress via pictures, but here’s my attempt.  Here’s the huge bundle of wires that you start with (this is a Painless 12 circuit universal harness) once you mount the fuse box.

After grouping various signals and beginning the routing there are now multiple smaller groups.

Finally only a handful of wires remain.

If I ever have the time I’d like to do a whole separate write up in the Electrical section on my lessons learned on the Painless wiring install, but for now I’ll try to capture some of the things I learned in this thread.  I had to go on company travel for a week so the first thing I did was spend the 5 hours on the plane comparing the Painless instructions to the factory service manual to make sure I understood what signal did what.  It was important because I’m re-using the headlight switch, dimmer switch, wiper switch, etc.

Anyway I started with the tail lights because I figured that was the easiest.  I ran all the wires in the stock location including a wire for a 3rd brake light that I’ll eventually mount on the rear package tray.  I’m using red LED bulbs for the tail lights from LEDtronics.  Eventually I’d like to make custom LED lights but these will work for now.  The bulbs from LEDtronics are a lot more expensive then the typical eBay LED bulbs but these are the ones that Mopar Action magazine tested and found to be the brightest.  I’m also running LED bulbs in the back up lights, side marker lights, and the license plate light.  I used new side marker sockets from Rock Auto, but reused the stock tail light sockets.  You can’t avoid butt splices but I didn’t want to just connect the stock old socket wiring to the Painless wires with butt splices.  So after searching for a while I finally found a place that just sold the little brass buttons that go in to the socket.  This allowed me to run the Painless wires effectively right to the bulbs.  Here’s what they looked like.

This is a link to where I bought them however they don’t seem to carry the same style that I used. ???

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/Lamp-Socket-Brass-Terminal-Contact-Replacement-Repair-Connector.html

The next thing I ran in to was the ground lug on the tail lights are a 0.187 size terminal not the typical 0.250 terminal.  So I had to order some of those.  In this picture you can see I just ran the ground wires extra long while I waited for the terminals.

I used a combination of wire loom from wirecare.com and non-adhesive vinyl harness wrap to protect the wires.

One interesting thing about the Painless universal kit is it doesn’t have any wire for the back up lights.  The TKO-600 has a backup light switch that is a simple switch that is closed when the transmission is in reverse.  So I just needed to get power to the switch and from there to the backup lights.  However, the Painless harness has an Electric Choke wire that’s switched +12V that I had no use for, so it was easy enough to route that to the transmission switch and from there run a new wire all the way back to the back up lights.

In the dash, since I’m reusing the stock switches, I pulled the terminals from the stock connectors and reused the plastic body of the connector.  From there I ran the wires I needed and put on new terminals that seat in to the connector body.  These are the style of terminals that you need for the connector bodies (I bought a lot of the electrical supplies from Del City, but you can get these at a lot of different places).

http://www.delcity.net/store/female-quick-connector-terminals/p_9291.a_1

You also need this style of crimp tool to properly fold the tangs over to hold the wire.  I have a generic multi-crimp tool that has the proper style of teeth, however I also put a little solder on them to make sure they aren’t going anywhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Five-cavity-Wide-range-Crimping/dp/B003MWJ6SA/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1305510727&sr=8-34

I couldn’t avoid butt connectors altogether so when I had to use them I used un-insulated seamless butt connectors that look like this (I bought mine on eBay)
http://www.delcity.net/cartviewitem?item=242005&search=y

The seamless means you don’t have to worry about the seam splitting open if you don’t have the crimper die in the right location, which is important when you’re on your back under the dash.  I always cover them with adhesive lined heat shrink (I bought a nice kit for $13 on eBay that’s enough for the whole car).  The adhesive lined heat shrink actually oozes out the adhesive at the very ends which effectively makes them water proof.  You can see the clear adhesive on the end in this picture.

Usually when I had to use butt connectors it was because I had to join 2 wires to 1.  In those cases, I found these “step down” butt connectors very useful.  For example, I had 1 parking light feed wire that I had to connect both to the side marker light and the parking light.
http://www.delcity.net/cartviewitem?item=222115&search=y

That’s it for now.  I’ll try to post another update tomorrow.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011 - 11:01:27 AM by Travis72 »

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2011 - 10:28:08 PM »
That looks great! you cant go wrong with the quality of wiring your doing.  :ylsuper:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2011 - 12:05:54 AM »
Thanks Bob! I studied a lot of your pics but didn't have the courage to take apart the FAST harnesses until I have it running.  I actually got the FAST ECUs up and running and talking to the laptop this weekend.  So I flashed in the new 2.0 XFI firmware.

Anyway here's my next update:

So I needed to figure out what to do about an ignition switch.  My Flaming River column is so old that it’s before they offered a version with a key.  LOL    First I bought one of the $10 universal ignition switch and I was going to mount it next to the Vintage Air controls because there is already a hole in the metal dash frame there (speaker fader control???).  Anyway after looking at that I realized that no matter what I did it would take someone like 2 seconds to hot wire the car.  So Scott (thedodgeboys) let me know about Ididit’s keyless starter system.  It’s a lot cheaper then similar systems.  So I bought it from Summit:

Here’s what the keyless module looks like.  You basically wire it up like you do any other ignition switch except it has more options for which accessories stay on while cranking, etc.

I mounted it to the underside of the metal dash frame.

The start button is a billet button with a red LED ring.  I’m not enamored with it but it will do for now.  I again thought about installing it next to the Vintage Air controls, but I noticed that it fit good in what used to be the Fasten Seat Belt light hole.  I was going to use this hole for some sort of warning light, but instead decided to put the start button there.  It’s a little unorthodox but until I make a custom console where I can integrate the start button in to there it will work.  Here’s what it looks like:

It glows red (you can adjust the brightness) when on.  When off and armed it blinks like an alarm LED.

More to come.

Travis
72 Cuda

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011 - 11:02:57 AM by Travis72 »

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #327 on: May 17, 2011 - 08:25:07 AM »
That looks pretty good! Never knew that was available.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #328 on: May 17, 2011 - 10:11:00 AM »
Thats pretty cool Travis, most people will never guess its the starter button.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #329 on: May 17, 2011 - 10:58:29 AM »
that looks really good!! i like the keyless start too.
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)