72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219557 times)

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - moved under its own power
« Reply #375 on: September 28, 2011 - 09:31:15 AM »
Way to go Travis!!!!!!!!, can't wait to see more.
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #376 on: September 28, 2011 - 03:41:25 PM »
LOL  Thanks for the comments all!  Actually with the engine idling the way it was I basically only tuned it enough to get an acceptable AF ratio at idle and so I restrained myself to make sure I wouldn't hurt the engine.  Since it's running a little better now I have driven it at least enough to get in to 2nd gear now  ;D  It's a pretty strange feeling driving around with no windshield.  The speedometer even worked which was nice!

I had Dr. Diff rebuild the rear end and so I had him add the drain plug at the same time.  It hangs down a little further then I would like, but for the ease of gear oil changes (something most of us are guilty of not doing enough), I thought it was a good addition.

Travis
72 Cuda

Awesome you got it running/driving!
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #377 on: September 30, 2011 - 07:14:03 AM »
I watched the videos; Looks great Travis!!   :cheers:

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #378 on: November 08, 2011 - 02:12:49 PM »
thats awesome that you got it running! congrats!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline Travis72

« Reply #379 on: January 04, 2012 - 04:48:31 PM »
Time for an update.   I had a couple big projects at work at the end of the year that delayed things, but I had 2 weeks off over the holidays so I’ve managed to get some more things completed.  I’ve actually put 12 miles on the car over the last couple weeks.  The car is not registered yet, but you need to drive it to get the FAST XFI 2.0 to self-tune so it’s kind of a catch-22.  I think at this point its idling and driving well enough that I’m going to try and go through emissions testing in a few weeks to get it actually street legal.

First thing I did was install the headliner.  I’ve never done it before but I figured I’d give it a try.  I followed the tips on Resto Rick’s page and it came out OK.  I would call it a solid B effort.  The main thing I couldn’t get right are the sides where the bows curve back down.  I couldn’t get it to stop bunching there and I was afraid to cut the listings any more.  You can see what I’m talking about in the following picture.  This before I installed the dome light, but I don't like how that fits either.  :(

After that I got a new front windshield installed.  I was going to buy the AMD glass but after adding up the truck freight costs etc, it was much cheaper to have a local glass company come install one.  They are still able to get new windshields.  I re-used the stock original rear glass.  The guy that came to install it has been doing it for like 30 years plus he drives a 69 Coronet R/T so that was a plus.  So with that out of the way I installed the sail panels and cleaned up and painted the inside window trim. 

I bought new cables and got the parking brake working.  With the 2x3 tubing subframe connectors there is enough room at the front to sneak the cable and adjuster between them and the floorboards so the cables hooked up pretty easily.  Parking brake seems to work pretty good with the Dr. Diff rear disk brake kit.

Since I wanted to drive it I threw together a quick air intake using 4” aluminum tubing, a 90 degree silicone coupler and a Spectre air filter.  That allowed me to mount the inlet air temp sensor in the tubing.

With that out of the way I turned my attention back to the Nu-Relic (XV) power windows.  I was able to get the drivers side adjusted and working good, although it still drops way too fast for my liking.  However no matter what I did on the passenger side it just wouldn’t work correctly.  It would get to within an inch of the top of the forward vertical slider rail then the motor would start binding and popping and sometimes jump a gear tooth.  I finally pulled the entire window and assembly out again and went back through it, but had the same problem once I put it back in.  After messing with it all day I left the window down and quit for the night.  When I came back out the next morning the glass had shattered in to a thousand pieces.  Boy was I mad.   >:(  At least AMD makes the glass.  So 200 bucks later and I have a new passenger side window.  I was still so mad that I pulled out the power window regulator and I put the stock manual one back in.  So it’s goofy but I have the power window on the drivers side and manual one on the passenger side.  At least all the glass is in.  I may eventually give up and just put the manual one back in on the drivers side as well.

So when I had the window out I installed a power door lock actuator kit using ShelbyDogg’s excellent write up:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=26012.0

I’ll update his thread with some of my pictures, but I basically followed what he did.

Finally I installed a new AMD bumper and new guards, along with PG’s trunk and quarter panel trim.  The bumper fit like crap on the stock bumper brackets, so I ended up cutting like ½” out of the brackets and re-welding it to tuck the bumper up to the body more.  Here’s some pictures from when I had the car out after driving it around.  Here’s one when it’s filthy dirty, but I like the angle of the picture:

Then with the glass in I was finally able to wash the car, so here’s two with actual clean paint.

Still a ways to go, but I can see the end of the tunnel now.

Travis
72 Cuda

p.s. I had to move all my pictures to Photobucket so I went ahead and went back through this entire thread and re-linked the pictures so they should all be there now.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #380 on: January 04, 2012 - 05:02:29 PM »
best looking 72 I`ve ever seen...  :drool:   what color interior will be in there? 
great fit on the bumpers and exhaust tips. I love it   :2thumbs:  However .....   I do think it would look even better if you had the area behind the grill blacked out.... oh well... minor details...  :misbehaving:
*** Bart ***

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #381 on: January 04, 2012 - 06:02:18 PM »
Looking awesome!  :2thumbs:   Keep up the great work!  :cheers:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #382 on: January 04, 2012 - 08:14:53 PM »
wow!  that is looking fantastic Travis!  you have every reason to be proud of how it is turning out!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #383 on: January 04, 2012 - 10:22:28 PM »
Thanks all for the comments... on the grill blackout I've debated that.  I'm worried that with the area behind the grille blacked out plus the black grille that I'll lose the detail in the grille.  I know Mopars were always done that way.  So for right now I've left it green figuring it will be easy to fog it in later with black versus going the other way.

Actually now that I think about it, what I should do is just paint some cardboard black and put it behind the grille just to see what it looks like.  I'll have to try that.   :thumbsup:

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #384 on: January 04, 2012 - 10:26:13 PM »
You have not even got it out of the drive-way and you got a smokey on yer tail!!!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #385 on: January 04, 2012 - 11:50:56 PM »
Travis,   Use a heat gun on your headliner wrinkles. they'll tighten right up.  Won't work with a hair dryer, has to be a heat gun.   I used a $9.99 one from Harbor Freight.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #386 on: January 05, 2012 - 04:18:58 AM »
best looking 72 I`ve ever seen...  :drool:   what color interior will be in there? 
great fit on the bumpers and exhaust tips. I love it   :2thumbs:  However .....   I do think it would look even better if you had the area behind the grill blacked out.... oh well... minor details...  :misbehaving:
:iagree: it is the best '72 i have seen too. AND  :iagree: that the black out would really finish it, your eye drifts to the color behind the grille when you look at it. :bigsmile: :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #387 on: January 05, 2012 - 07:43:29 AM »
Wow! Looks great! :clapping:  I'm surprised to hear you have to pass an emmissions test with such an old car? Here anything before 1988 doesn't have to pass any tests.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #388 on: January 05, 2012 - 02:24:26 PM »
Travis,
Everything is looking awesome! :cheers:
Nice job.

Wes

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #389 on: January 05, 2012 - 06:16:30 PM »
Lookin good Travis. So the Power window set up was not to your liking?What was the major issue? I was considering getting this too ,along with some door poppers if I shave my door handles. . Anyhow looks like your close to being finished. Luv to see more videos. Keep us updated. :wavingflag:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs