72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219564 times)

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - road trip plus first autocross and drag strip
« Reply #495 on: April 28, 2014 - 01:59:47 PM »
Travis -- T/Anks for the updates and I'm glad you're hooked on autocrossing!   also, try to get out tosome hi-speed road course laping events, such as Spring Fling in S/Cal.
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #496 on: April 29, 2014 - 01:03:46 AM »
Yeah I just did my 2nd high speed road course the week before the autocross.  At this rate the tires aren't going to last long!!!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #497 on: April 29, 2014 - 04:07:02 PM »
Travis.... sticky tires = faster lap times (more fun as well as placing you into higher level of favorably placing high in competition!).  Consider getting another set of rims/tires for the street/hwy, and a set designated for autocross/road course events... maybe trailering may be the better answer (to save and extend the life of the tires, etc).   I used to go through 2-3-4 sets of tires every autocross season... eventually with my wife co-driving/racing the car (that's when tires were relatively cheaper at ~$400-800/set... speaking of "soft-compound" tires designated for autocrossing and still "DOT-approved").

Tires win the races!
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline autodynamics

« Reply #498 on: April 29, 2014 - 04:55:31 PM »
travis,
glad to see your working out the bugs still....the DeatschWerks pump is kick ass! the isspro sending unit that actually works.
there are not many guys on the board that have a running car and have shaken it down.
the vent for the rear i would use this
http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/fuelvent2dm.html
funny how so many of your issues i either have had them myself or a buddy of mine.
keep in touch
Pete

Offline Travis72

« Reply #499 on: August 24, 2014 - 08:56:04 PM »
Time for another update. After the big thrash to get ready for Vegas I took a couple weeks off from working on the car.  So slowly I’ve been getting some things done over the last couple of months.  Trying to upgrade some things plus fix some of the things that annoyed me when I went to Vegas.

First two pictures that I wanted to share from the cruise to Vegas that a photographer took.  This one was at the Kingman Dodge dealership and before this picture I never knew my car was a low as a 2014 Viper.   ;D

Here’s one on the drive to Vegas.  That’s my wife following me in her Jeep Liberty.  Her dream car is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and when she saw this photo she said “that would be a much better picture if I was in a Jeep SRT.”  hahah Maybe next year, then she could race with me.

So after the traction problems at the drag strip in Vegas I decided to get a set of dedicated track tires.  I was going to get the ET Street drag radials, but after much research I decided on the bias ply ET Streets.  Everything I read said the bias plys are much better for manual transmission cars.  The ET Streets are 26x11.5x15.  I thought about going to 28’s for more sidewall cushion on the launch, but the 26’s are the perfect size for my gear ratio.  They actually look narrow on the car compared to the street tires!   I mounted them on 15x10 Weld RT-S rims.  These are REALLY nice rims!!!!  I’m surprised I haven’t seen more people running them.  They also sell them in an all polished version.  The 15x10 only weighs 16 lbs and its SFI rated and made in the USA.  Looks great too!  WIth the ET Street mounted the total weight is 37 lbs per rim/tire.

When I used to race my old Dakota R/T on bias ply ET Streets it would wander all over the top end of the track due to having radials up front and that was only at like 95 mph.  I didn’t want that same feeling going 115 in the Cuda, so I decided to get a set of bias plys front runners, but I have to run 17” rims to clear the front brakes.  I wanted to run the Weld RT-S for the front as well, but for some reason the Weld 17x4.5 rim is wicked expensive.  :-(   So after searching around I found SVE Drag wheels makes a 17x4.5 at an affordable price.  These are made for late model Mustangs and I bought them from a place that only sells Mustang parts.  It was the cheapest 17x4.5 that I could find. With the M&H bias ply tire mounted the combined rim/tire is only 28 lbs!

It sure does change the look of the car with the 15’s in the back. Plus the front runner is half the width of my normal front tires!

Here’s a close up of the Weld rims.

So to go along with the drag tires I also installed a line lock.  I struggled with where to put it since I already have a Wilwood proportioning valve, etc.  So I ultimately made a bracket to hang it under the master cylinder.  Kind of like the MC heat shields they sell.

Finally I’ve had the XV engine brace forever, but never put it on the car because it didn’t fit right.  It was made for a 4 bbl style intake not the stock intake that I have.  So I tried to make it work by cutting out the main bar, but it just wouldn’t fit right.  So I ended up going to a local 1 man hot rod shop that I heard about via word of mouth.  He worked with me to make a custom engine brace.  We came up with a firewall brace that has much more surface area than the XV brace.  After getting it powdercoated, I think it came out great.

Forgot to mention I re-did all the heater hoses after the one came loose in Vegas.  Where I could I used the Gates power grip heat shrink.  Pretty slick.  Lets hope it holds up.  You can see it in the picture above where the heater hoses enter the firewall bulkhead.

That’s all the updates for now.  I’m anxious for cooler weather so I can get back to the drag strip, plus spend more time finishing the interior of the car.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #500 on: August 24, 2014 - 09:14:48 PM »
Nice an tidy!  :clapping: :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #501 on: August 25, 2014 - 06:13:02 PM »
Travis,
How is your cross brace attached to the inner fender?  I can't make if you used bolts, or riveted them?
Thanks!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #502 on: August 27, 2014 - 01:30:59 AM »
Brace is bolted using black button head allen bolts.  That's why it looks like rivets. ;)  There were 2 places where I had to use a rivnut or nutsert (whatever you want to call them) because I couldn't get to the backside to get a normal nut on it.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #503 on: August 27, 2014 - 11:16:22 AM »
Brace is bolted using black button head allen bolts.  That's why it looks like rivets.

Button head socket cap screws if you are inclined to look for similar units. Get them at McMaster-Carr or Fastenall websites.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #504 on: August 27, 2014 - 04:06:06 PM »
Button head socket cap screws if you are inclined to look for similar units. Get them at McMaster-Carr or Fastenall websites.
I used them on my brace too, only in stainless, just because they were there. We have a Bolts plus store literally 5 minutes up the road, comes in handy! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Travis72

« Reply #505 on: August 28, 2014 - 01:36:07 AM »
Good correction HP2.  I used 3/8" bolts so they are pretty beefy.  The 2 places where I used the nutserts I used 1/4" bolts because I didn't have the tool or the nutserts in 3/8.  What actually got in the way of using a nut on those bolts is the XV fender braces that are welded above the upper control arm.  I'm not sure how XV ever attached them, unless it just fit different on their cars?

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Intel_12

« Reply #506 on: August 28, 2014 - 10:24:24 PM »
Love your car, Im in the process of building a 73 into a 70 AAR tribute, restomod/promod. Just wanted to say congratulations on the car being in Mopar Muscle. I just received mine today, having read your entire post yesterday I was pleasantly surprised seeing the car on the cover!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #507 on: August 30, 2014 - 03:15:31 AM »
Thanks!  And welcome to cuda-challenger.  This is a great place to hang out. There is a ton of knowledge on this site.  Whenever I had questions on how something went together, someone on here would have the answer.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #508 on: September 01, 2014 - 01:24:22 AM »
Thanks!  And welcome to cuda-challenger.  This is a great place to hang out. There is a ton of knowledge on this site.  Whenever I had questions on how something went together, someone on here would have the answer.

Travis
72 Cuda

The magazine article looks really good! congrats!
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #509 on: September 09, 2014 - 12:21:28 PM »
Travis, loved to see your car in MM. What a beauty!  :worshippy

Also, I had to modify my XV brace to make it fit with the rear dist on the 340. We reached the same conclution and design. They look almost identical  :thumbsup:
Member of The Rapid Transit System