72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219559 times)

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - road trip plus first autocross and drag strip
« Reply #510 on: September 12, 2014 - 11:09:00 PM »
Lookin good man!  Glad to see it out and about and getting some road time!
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline swe_challenger

« Reply #511 on: October 10, 2014 - 04:42:56 PM »
Glad to see your car in the last MM, congrats!
I have been following your thread and it has been an incredible help to me in my build.
Great job! Excellent Build!
Stefan Alvsbyn Sweden

Offline swe_challenger

« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2014 - 03:00:41 PM »
I also bought and installed a Lokar throttle cable. I made a quick bracket to attach it to the intake manifold.  I ran the cable through the square hole where the stock accelerator cable ran.  I also needed to figure out the heater hose routing (I’m not going to worry about the AC for a while).  So I bought a Vintage Air two hole bulkhead.  The AC lines I’ll run through the fender well, but the heater hoses I kept in the engine bay.  I  was originally going to put the bulkhead as close to the heater hose outlets as possible (right behind the intake manifold), but that area is congested with all the wiring.  Plus on the inside of the firewall it would be really tight to the Vintage Air box.  So I decided to put them all the way over to the inner fenders.  This maximized clearance for everything else.  I turned the bulkhead at an angle to match the angle of the inner fender.  Its not perfect but I think it looks pretty good and its out of the way of everything.  It’s still a shame to have to put holes in the firewall that I spent so much time smoothing. Anyway, in this picture you can see the throttle cable and bulkhead, etc.  The heater hose was just on there for mockup purposes.  I'm planning on getting some right angle hoses.
Which Lokar throttle cable did you use?
Did you modify the Cable anything or was it enough with the bracket?

Stefan Alvsbyn Sweden

Offline Travis72

« Reply #513 on: November 10, 2014 - 11:06:45 AM »
The throttle cable I used is this one from Lokar:  TC-1000LS1U

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-tc-1000ls1u

The FAST throttle body is for an LS1, so because of that I did not have to modify the cable.  I only had to make that extra bracket to have a place to attach the cable to.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline teemu

« Reply #514 on: December 27, 2014 - 02:36:51 PM »
 Greetings all

I found this topic via google, and litlle too late :(  I made same mistakes with my engines.

You have very nice car.

I am from  Finland, and I have few old Mopars, one  is a-70 Challenger convertible, this comes from Phoenix to Finland -88

First I drive it with original engine, and then I make full restorations and install -05 modell 5.7 Hemi and original SB 727, Ecu is Tatech.
     http://www.tatech.fi/
 In dyno we get out 350 Hp, and car is very nice driving.

Then I bought new 6.4 Hemi and sold 5.7

New engine running crate and I try make new map to Ecu,

then I went to dyno, we get 450 Hp 4300Rpm, and then happen same thing than your Cuda
 I take heads of and six of eight pistons are broken

We drive it with same map than 5.7 and timing was 35, and its was too much.
 Now block is hooned and we wait new pistons and valves, and then I try again.

One pic at the car too

Now, I need to know, how VVT solenoid works, what rpm solenoid go on, and off. I drive without this solenoid  before crushed, I know, oil brakes a cam high rpm and solenoid comes with, but what is the rpm when the solenoid comes on and is it off or on when ignition is on.

Thanks, and sorry my bad English
     -Teemu

Dodge Challenger convertible -70 6.4 HEMI
Plymouth superbird -70 V-code, 4-speed
Dodge Charger -70 RT/SE R-code

Offline daaboots

« Reply #515 on: March 19, 2015 - 01:11:50 PM »
Impressive build Travis! I just read through the entire post for the first time. I'd like mine to turn out similar with a 4-link in the rear, tubular up front, and some nice wide tires. I'm a bit upset that I went ahead and welded in my wheel-housing because I should have looking into a mini-tub. Maybe I'll pull it back out and start over... Do you have any more close up pictures of the mini-tub modifications?

Offline Travis72

« Reply #516 on: December 17, 2016 - 08:22:04 PM »
Well I’ve been out trying to enjoy the car as much as possible so I don’t spend too much time on here anymore but I thought I would make an update.

As far as mechanicals about the only work I’ve done on the car in the last 2 years is I replaced the clutch master cylinder.  I had one of the real early Keisler ones and to get it to shift you had to jam your foot all the way to the floor as far as possible.  So I finally replaced it with the setup from American Powertrain, which is much nicer, with the adjustable firewall bracket and much shorter pedal travel.

I repaired a leak in the A/C system and so I’ve been able to enjoy driving the car this last summer.  The Vintage Air works good when everything is working right and it kept up even in the 110 degree summer heat (no humidity though).  It sure makes a big difference being able to drive on the freeway with the windows up and the AC on.

The only issue I’ve had is I had to make a road side repair on the way home from Vegas from this years Mopars at the Strip (it’s ~450 miles one way).  When we got to Kingman off the 93, we decided to drive down Route 66 and at the 2nd stoplight I look at my temp gauge and its at 210. That's not good since it never goes over 185.  At least I had some luck, in that the car decided to break down in Kingman instead of the middle of nowhere between Vegas and Kingman. If you’ve ever been on that stretch of 93 it's really desolate.

So I check the electric fan and it's really hard to turn. Bummer. So luckily there was a NAPA 200 yards down the road for where I had parked. I pull the fan and head over there. The one NAPA employee was a hot rodder since he knew it was a Lincoln MK VIII fan as soon as he saw it and proceeded to tell me they didn't have any. The other employee nicely tried calling the other 2 auto parts stores that are open in Kingman on a Sunday but neither of them had one either. The NAPA guy says the Taurus fan is really good too, but they didn't have one of those either. So I knew Brad Richmond used a Chevy HHR fan on his Challenger, so I asked about that and luckily they had one of those in stock for $80 bucks. Sold.

I then proceeded to use wire ties to attach the fan to the radiator and I wired it up to my fan controller, unfortunately when the fan seized up it took out the controller too. So lacking anything else to do, I used some butt connectors and a spare piece of 10 gauge wire to wire it directly to ignition switched battery voltage meaning it would run non-stop.  It worked fine and got me home with no issues. I was even blasting the A/C on high and it did OK. It did run like 7 - 10 degrees hotter than my Lincoln fan especially at idle. So when I got home I ordered a new MK VIII fan motor and just replaced the motor.  The original fan I had bought used from eBay, so hopefully with the new motor I won’t have any more problems.  I also re-wired the system to use a simpler setup of just relays and I use the FAST XFI to turn the fans on and off.

Anyway, since I never posted them here’s some pics from MATS this year.

Part of the Phoenix group meet.  I like how the guy tows with his Ram SRT-10.

This is the Phoenix group trying to leave the first meet.

Here’s a view looking over the Air Grabber hood of a Roadrunner

Following the same Roadrunner

Friends from the local Mopar club built this old school gasser

Glad I have an overdrive transmission!

Following the wife’s Jeep outside of Vegas.  I liked the scenery in this picture.

In the tech inspection line at The Strip in Vegas.
[/URL]

Here’s kind of a boring video I put together showing some of what it’s like on the cruise from Phoenix to Vegas.

MATS 2016 cruise

Here’s a clip of me on the Strip at Vegas.  I still can’t put one whole good run together.  I either get a good launch and then blow the 2-3 shift, or I get a crappy launch and then a good 2-3 shift.

MATS 2016 outside view of Cuda pass

Here’s the same pass but with a view from inside the car.  You can see how slow I am on the 2-3 shift. I also don’t powershift it.

MATS 2016 in car view of Cuda

The last road course Track Day I did was 2 years ago.  Here’s some video from that.  This is what a full lap around the course looks like.  A couple things, I only drive at like 80% because I want to actually get the car home in one piece, plus on the couple corners where there are walls on the track that you can hit, I take it even easier.  I also generally leave it in 4th gear.  Of course for a faster lap time I should be downshifting to 2nd and 3rd, but I leave it in 4th for 2 reasons.  1) to focus on my driving and 2) then I don’t have to worry about spinning out on the exit of a corner due to too much power.  I know I’m a wuss.   :D

Track Day at Inde full lap

Here’s another video from the same day.  My best friend and I were playing lead - follow switching off every lap.  This time I was following him when we caught a Subaru WRX STi.  If you watch the whole video towards the end the Subaru ends up going off course right in front of my buddy.  It ended up tearing off the lower front facia of the Subaru from where he hit the dirt berm.

Track Day 12-6-14 at Inde Motorsports Ranch

Other than that I’ve just been trying to attend as many car events as I can.  My favorite part of going to car shows is meeting up with the local Mopar club to cruise into the show together.  Here was one big show in November where we had an early morning meeting.

I got to follow behind this all original Challenger T/A.  Pretty sweet.  Its fun to park by him too since his car is all original and mine is all modified.

Anyway, that’s it for now.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update
« Reply #517 on: December 17, 2016 - 08:48:50 PM »
Cool stuff thanks for posting. So nice to see them driven and enjoyed.  :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline crash340

« Reply #518 on: December 17, 2016 - 09:43:40 PM »
Great stuff Travis, glad to see you post again and that the car is doing well. I'll be back in Phoenix in early Feb, the Friday night meet at Scottsdale is always good
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2016 - 10:27:07 AM »
Thanks for the update Travis. Great to see you enjoying the Cuda after all your hard work getting it done. Inspirational!

Wes

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #520 on: December 18, 2016 - 04:29:29 PM »
Great to see that you are out and enjoying your car!!

Offline usraptr

« Reply #521 on: December 18, 2016 - 10:13:41 PM »
Very cool!  Good to hear from you again. 
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline nsmall

« Reply #522 on: December 21, 2016 - 10:45:09 AM »
Thanks for always helping me Travis.  I watched a couple of your YouTube videos and noticed your name for YouTube has 340 in it.  After reading your thread I hope I can be content with what I have as I have a 340 and can't imagine accomplishing what you were able to do.  Glad you are enjoying your car.