72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219570 times)

Offline Travis72

72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update
« on: December 24, 2006 - 11:46:31 PM »
Well I’ve made a few posts on here and so I thought I would start a thread as an introduction and show what I’ve gone through during the rebuild of my 72 Cuda.  First some background on me and the car:

I bought the car when I was 15, using my college savings, from my sister back in 1987.  My sister had owned it for around 2 years but it finally quit running and she needed money for another car (turned out the timing chain had slipped), so that’s how I ended up with the car cheap.  Trust me; she never lets me forget that she sold it to me.   :P  The Cuda was my daily driver throughout high school and college including every summer with no AC (this is in Tucson, AZ with 110 degree heat).  My wife and I started dating when we were seniors in high school and there were many nights we didn’t go out on dates due to me working on the car for some reason or another   :)  So needless to say the car is as much a part of her life as mine.  That’s helped a lot since she’s my biggest supporter to finish the car the way I want it.

After a few years of driving it off and on after college, I finally decided to fix all the little things that were never right with the car (all the things I would previously band-aid just to keep the car on the road).  So the main things were the rusted hole in the drivers floorboard and the spaghetti nest of electrical issues. Of course after stripping the car for those things and then life in general getting in the way (career, etc.) the car sat for a few years.  Finally I had gotten the road racing bug, and I decided that was the path I wanted to take with my Cuda.

Here are some pictures of the car before the disassembly process (these are from 1999).  The car was a definite 20 footer (busted up grille, non-painted front valance, etc.).  The body work and paint job were done by a buddy and me when were 18… and so it’s FAR from perfect with tons of body filler.  The car has obviously been in minor accidents before judging by the condition of the frame, etc.  However I’ve had the car professionally checked out on a frame rig and everything was surprising in spec.

Future plans for the car include 17’s or 18’s (I actually like the look of 17’s better, however in this day and age there are a lot more tire choices in 18’s), 5.7 or 6.1 hemi, 5-speed manual, AlterKation, big brakes, etc.  This will not be a show car as I intend to drive it hard… on the dragstrip, on track road course days, autox, etc.  One of my good friends has a 2003 Corvette Z06, so my main goal is to try and keep up with him…. I know it’s a very tall order, since those cars are incredibly well balanced.

I’m still undecided on how far I want to go with the body work before I progress on the mechanicals…… it’s one of those things where I want to get the car running ASAP, but if I don’t have the body work and paint done now, I’ll regret it.   :-\  More posts to follow below to show where I’m at today:

Travis
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016 - 08:22:21 PM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006 - 11:56:46 PM »
One of the first things I decided to tackle after stripping the interior out of the car was the engine bay and underside of the car.  I spent a while scraping and grinding all the old paint and undercoating off the engine bay and fenderwells.  Before I got the car someone had painted the engine bay black (the car is a factory white car and you can see the white under the chipping black paint).  The undercoating was nasty and oil soaked.  I used a heat gun and a putty knife to get the thick stuff, then went back over it with 3M rust and paint stripping disks on my trusty Makita drill.  I also used a portable sandblaster to get some of the nooks and crannies that I couldn't get with the disks.

You'll also notice that the car was a factory AC car (long gone) and I made filler panels that I had welded in to place to cover up the holes.  I might put AC back in the car some day, but if I do it will be a vintage air system.  Since it's my car and my baby, I'm not planning on ever selling it.  Therefore I'm not worried about making modifications to the car that might hurt the "resale" value.

Travis
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012 - 11:24:19 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006 - 12:12:15 AM »
Here's a photo of most of it down to bare metal (you can also see orange overspray... the car was orange when I got it).  After I had the fenders off the car, I painted everything with PPG DPLF epoxy primer.  That was the first time I had ever painted anything and I had a buddy help walk me through the process.  From there I had the XV Motorsports chassis stiffening kit welded in (I'm not a welder... well not a good one anyway, so I prepped everything and then took it to a local chassis fabricator to have him do the actual welding).  I would have preferred to have done the chassis kit before the first coat of epoxy primer, but the timing didn't work out right.  These pictures show the fender braces and lower radiator support, pretty well, since the parts are in bare metal versus the epoxy primer.

Anyway at the same time I had a few more holes welded up on the firewall.  From there I did some body work to smooth the firewall and to cover up the spot welds on the tops of the inner fenderwells.  The main reason was just for the practice and experience of doing body work.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012 - 11:27:36 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006 - 12:28:56 AM »
Oh Merry Christmas everyone (it's just past midnight here)...

From there I scuffed the epoxy primer (since I was outside of the 7 day topcoat window) and shot another coat of epoxy primer for corrosion protection.  Then I shot a couple coats of K36 high build primer.  I then block sanded the firewall and just lightly sanded everything else.  Finally I shot a couple coats of PPG Deltron 2000 DBC sublime basecoat and 2 coats of the DCU2021 urethane clear coat.  This was the first time I had ever painted anything and it was a good learning experience.  To be honest, it looks better in pictures than it does in person   ;D  The one major screw up is there is one spot on the driver side control arm mount where I must have brushed against the wet paint (you can see it in the 5th picture)  :swear:

There are also a few runs in the clear coat.  It was tough to shoot the clear, since the fog in my little makeshift paint booth made it hard to tell how wet I was putting down the paint.  Plus I was trying to make sure I was getting paint and clear in every nook and cranny and so that meant I ended up putting it on too thick in other spots.  You can see one of the big runs on the fender brace on the drivers side.

All in all, I'm happy with the way it came out and I'm proud to be able to say I did it myself.   It's amazing how nice and shiny and smooth the new BC/CC is compared to the 16 year old acrylic enamel (no clear coat) on the body.   ;D

Travis

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012 - 11:31:00 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006 - 12:35:52 AM »
Well... that's enough for tonight... need to get to bed for Christmas morning.  I'll post more tomorrow night on the AlterKation and brakes.    :ylsuper:

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006 - 01:00:41 AM »
Lookin Super Travis, Keep up the Good Work & keep us posted
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006 - 04:24:09 AM »
Looks awesome, very nice work.  :2thumbs:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006 - 07:44:10 AM »
Wow! That looks awesome! You didnt weld up the cowl drain did you? hard to tell from the pics! Keep up the good work and the pics!  :bigsmile:

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006 - 09:08:58 AM »
I'm no paint expert and would like to learn more about all about it.. but when painting base coat clear coat. Did u have a hardner for the clear, or do u have a booth?? I wanna do what u did but I though I would need a booth to cure the paint. Is there also a hardner in the base coat?? thanks for your help... Jason

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006 - 09:31:11 AM »
WOW that looks great!  You are doing a wonderful job on your ride!  Gonna be sweet!  :worshippy

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006 - 09:52:58 AM »
nice ride, really nice ride.  I wanted to do something like that with the radiator support, but I really liked how you "hid" it.  How much was the setup from XV?
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006 - 11:01:10 AM »
Looks great..
I painted and cleared my engine compartment this year in my house garage, painting was ok, but I'll never apply clear again in the garage. Like you said you can't see what your doing and that stuff is nasty...Good Luck with the rest of the car......

Offline black challenger

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006 - 11:38:19 AM »
Man that looks great wish I had  the time to do more detail work on mine. It is tough when you run a HVAC company. Keep up the good work! :2thumbs:
Go Wildcats! I Bleed Blue

Offline Travis72

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006 - 10:27:33 PM »
Thanks for all the positive comments.  I've always enjoyed reading everyone else's progress reports and they were always motivating for me, so that's why I finally decided to make my own thread.  To answer a few of the questions:

- No I didn't weld up the cowl drain.... even though it's kind of an eye sore..   :D
- Yes the clear coat uses a hardener, so yes it contains nasty isocyanate.  It's really recommended to use a fresh air respirator, although I only used an organic vapor respirator. :-[   There is no hardener in the base coat, it's just reduced 1:1.  I found a couple real good paint and body forums if you're interested.  I learned a lot by reading everything I could on those forums.
- I made my "paint booth" out of PVC and plastic sheeting.  I also used a fan with a furnace filter to blow fresh air in to the "booth".  However my booth wasn't completely sealed.... so I was mainly just trying to keep fresh dust out of the paint.  If I ever get brave enough to try and shoot the body of the Cuda, I'd try to rent a real spray booth.  Right now I am still planning on primering and painting both the underside of the car and the trunk.
- I bet it's about impossible to try run a business plus try to work on a car.  I have a couple friends who have started their own businesses and they basically have zero free time.  I was able to get all of the work above done since August.  In August I accepted a new position at work where I didn't have to work overtime every day.  So instead of doing a couple extra hours of work every night, I would spend that time on the Cuda.   :biggrin:

Travis
72 Cuda

p.s. Also, I have a lot more pics (full size pics), if anyone wants to see anything in detail.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006 - 10:41:25 PM »
I painted the engine bay December 10th.  Then a week later I was finally able to install the AlterKation.  I actually bought the AlterKation almost exactly a year ago and I finally was able to install it.... I know sad.  The parts are all powdercoated and some are a silver metallic color and the rest are a basic black.  I got the idea for the silver metallic k-member from Matt Delaney's  black Cuda (one of my favorite cars).  I had all the "road race" upgrades done to the AlterKation (sway bar, reinforced control arms, Delrin bushings).  The shocks are QA1 double adjustables with the 500 lb springs. 

I had one small screw up on the install.... I didn't realize that the lower control arm shaft is such a precision fit through the k-member and it got hung up right on the edge by a "lip" of the powdercoating.  If you've ever watched American Chopper whenever those guys gets parts back from the powdercoater they always seem to be forced to sand half of it off....    :screwy:   So anyway, that's what I felt like...   ;D  The AlterKation itself is a thing of beauty from a welding and precision fit standpoint....

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012 - 11:32:37 AM by Travis72 »