72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219620 times)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2008 - 07:35:02 PM »

Maybe we should start a Cuda w/ Alter-K and Air Bar, 5 speed, 3G Hemi/LA engine club. LOL

:stomp: WHAT ABOUT THE CHALLENGERS ...........  with Alter-K and Air Bar, 5 speed, 3G Hemi  :poopoke:

I have the same mustang wheels as you Travis and they clear fine,  but I think I my 235\45\17 may be shorter
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2008 - 08:38:33 PM »
Alright, you can play too. Wjile I don't have a Hemi, I do have a small block so I guess as long as you have most of 'em you're in.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2008 - 08:41:46 PM »
Alright, you can play too. Wjile I don't have a Hemi, I do have a small block so I guess as long as you have most of 'em you're in.

:woo:  :dogpile:
   :thinkerg:  we do need our own tech section   :bigshades:   
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2008 - 09:23:47 PM »
Travis, you, me, Conv340. Who else is in? Imncarn8?

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2008 - 01:02:49 AM »
Don't forget ConfederateCuda.  :dogpile: I think theres a couple others also. What blows my mind is for as few E-body as there are you can't open a mag and not see another Mopar with a 3g Hemi. Not that I'm complaining  :drool:
On the tire thing. The first thing I would do is figure out your offset and get your actual tires and wheels. So you know what you actually need to clear. With coil overs you can turn down the spring adjustment to simulate ride hight, as long as there's enough thread on the shock. What I did was make a bar out of 1" square tubing and set the ride hight with the jack. When you get it where you want it measure your mounting points and drill a couple of holes then you can use it to mock every thing up at ride hight. There is a really cool tire offset gauge you can get that bolts to your hub and lets you simulate tire sizes and offsets then steer is back and forth and rotate the gauge to make sure if it will fit. Thats how i got my measurements and I have 18x9" with a 6" back spacing and a 275/35/18 on the front. With a rolled lip and but no reshaping of the opening. I know theres some other geometry things that changed, because of the cut up frame, that may have helped me?   :dunno:  At my low ride hight if I go very sharp it will rub at the top because the tire is so far up into the well. but if I raise it it will clear and steer fine. It was a compromise of looks and function. If you want to auto cross I would stay 245's on an 8 and with the right offset it shouldn't hit at all. E-mail me if you have any questions I'll help if I can.
Oh and I hate to be the one that says it. But I think after you think about it for awhile you'll want to cut the new fender and add some more metal to match the other side. Its better now then after paint  :2cents: Sorry    The car is Looking great!  :grinyes:
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2008 - 01:22:40 AM »
Very intense mods.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2008 - 07:03:17 AM »
Is that all just 6 of us with this stuff?

Fish may get the killer motor looking gold star  :thumbsup:

Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2008 - 01:00:17 PM »
Oh Wow this is going to be great!!!. I bet it is hard to sleep at night, anticipating some paint work.  :2thumbs: 
What is that funky looking car cover they have it covered with?

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2008 - 07:19:23 PM »
Is that all just 6 of us with this stuff?

Fish may get the killer motor looking gold star  :thumbsup:

I'm in too. Just a bit behind you guys in the build. 71 Challenger, I've got the new 6.1 3G in the garage, deciding which rear suspension and it's stripped and on the rotisserie as we speak.

And now back to Travis' real thread......... :) Wes

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2008 - 07:28:04 PM »
I'm in too. Just a bit behind you guys in the build. 71 Challenger, I've got the new 6.1 3G in the garage, deciding which rear suspension and it's stripped and on the rotisserie as we speak.

And now back to Travis' real thread......... :) Wes

Ok 7 and someone with a yellow cuda I think has a 392 but I dont know about the alterktion. Maybe he will chime in.  :2thumbs:

looking good travis  :cheers:

Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline Travis72

« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2009 - 02:13:30 AM »
Yeah I like the idea of our own club or tech forum  :D.  I know I've learned a lot from all your guy's threads.  Yeah I'll take another look at the new fender.

Go-fish, I may or may not finish first but I think you're doing it right by assembling the entire car and having it running before teardown for paint. I'm worried that later on I going to wish it wasn't painted because I need to weld on some bracket or something.

Once all 7 of our cars are running we'll definetly have to all meet up!!!!  :burnout:

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:43:02 AM by Travis72 »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2009 - 12:52:55 AM »
Time for another overdue update....

I took the car down to the body guy towards the end of December.  Here's the car all loaded up on the trailer.

The first thing that we decided to do was the interior and underside of the car.  The body guy also does Speedliner bed liners on the side.  So Speedliner makes a smooth bedliner that you can color match with paint.  So that's what I chose for the interior and underside.  The shop bay next door to his has a lift that we borrowed so we put the car up there and I pulled the rear suspension.  Then I seam sealed all the seams and taped off all the suspension mounting points.  After that we masked the entire car off which took forever.

Speedliner recommended spraying it on with an airless sprayer.  However after the first 2 coats the nozzle clogged resulting in runs and drips all over the place.   >:(   Of course this was the last coat.  Before that it was going on pretty good.  On the interior and flat surface it sprayed on good and came out how I wanted (basically like thick, elastic paint). 

However on the bottom side on any of the sharp edges it wanted to drip off and dried that way.   :'(  You can see the drips coming off the shock crossmember edges, the frame rails and the edges of the floor pans.  Since we were both exhausted after working on it non-stop all day, we called it quits.

Here's two more shots of the interior after it had dried a few days.  If you look close at this picture by the seat belt mounting hole, you can see more runs.  Pretty depressing start actually.  I don't actually care about the runs in the interior since it will all be covered up with thermal insulation and carpet anyway.  It's just the bottom that bothers me (after I put so much time getting it down to bare metal).   So we're going to have to take a Scotchbrite disc to all of the runs and drips and go over it at a later date with 1 more top coat.

At this point, he went ahead and started on the major items on the body that needed attention.  We'll have to go back over the bottom when we can use the lift again. 

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 - 12:45:07 AM by Travis72 »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2009 - 06:21:50 AM »
Travis
It looks great I feel your pain sorry about the drips.   :eek4:

:thinkerg: Can you cut them off and put a little touch up on it?

Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2009 - 06:59:12 AM »
Keep up the progress pics. I'm going through a dry spell on mine so your keeping my intrest.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2009 - 09:37:56 AM »
Travis, you, me, Conv340. Who else is in? Imncarn8?

he he    ya    I'm all in!!      KEEP IT UP TRAVIS!!!!!!!    LOOKING GREAT!!!!!!   Don't be so hard on yourself. That's my job!    :poopoke:       :thumbsup:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"