72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219617 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up (lots of pictures)
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2009 - 12:20:12 PM »
looks great ... I personally don`t care about drips on the inside of my car... I`ve got plenty  :biggrin:  most important to me is to make sure there is plenty of paint on it. where drips are, there is enough... you won`t see any sheetmetal on the inside when the interior is in anyway  :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2009 - 01:47:03 PM »
i saw you talked about moving the air bar rear suspension a little  and adding some extra brackets for strength....the pics are gone on here any chance you still have any of em for me to get a look at. thanks. rereading this thread has reinvigorated me to get back to work on mine.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2009 - 03:50:59 PM »
Travis it looks great. I can't wait till mine gets paint.

One thing I noticed is that you don't have a 4 speed console bracket welded in on the 4 speed hump.
So then you aren't planning on a center console?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2009 - 03:53:44 PM »

That car is coming along real nicely Travis, great work mate. Can't wait to see it completed. :ylsuper: :woo:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Travis72

« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2009 - 01:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the comments all... makes me feel better.

:thinkerg: Can you cut them off and put a little touch up on it?

That's the hope.  I'm hoping to just Scotchbrite them off and then touch it up with the last gallon of the bedliner material.  I'm also thinking a pressure pot type gun with like a 2.0 or larger nozzle on it will work better then the airless sprayer.  On the plus side the material seems quite durable.

Travis it looks great. I can't wait till mine gets paint.

One thing I noticed is that you don't have a 4 speed console bracket welded in on the 4 speed hump.
So then you aren't planning on a center console?

Great eye.  I originally had the console bracket welded in, but at the last moment I decided to remove it for a couple of reasons.  One, seeing pics of cars without consoles on here has got me thinking maybe I won't run one.  Two, if I do decide to install a console I was planning on making a custom one out of fiberglass mimicking the basic shape of the stock one but making it actually functional with cupholders (I bought a top of a console, with a large hole in it, on eBay for like 5 bucks, that I was going to use for a template).  However at this point I'm going to focus on getting the car running before worrying about a custom console, so instead of worrying about cutting the carpet around the bracket and having it sticking out like a sore thumb I elected to remove it.  Whenever I get to the point of needing to put the bracket back in, I'll probably just use panel adhesive to install it since the brackets are really beefy (the brackets probably weigh more than the plastic console   :D ) and they really don't need to be welded in.

i saw you talked about moving the air bar rear suspension a little  and adding some extra brackets for strength....the pics are gone on here any chance you still have any of em for me to get a look at. thanks. rereading this thread has reinvigorated me to get back to work on mine.

Sure, I'll send you some via PM.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2009 - 07:30:32 AM »
looking forward to any updates travis?

Offline Srobinson4

« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2009 - 11:12:39 PM »
What does "G" machine mean?

SRR

Offline 'cudaCruiser

• My '72 B5 'cuda
« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2009 - 11:27:13 AM »
"G, what a car!!!"
 :drool:
...or...
It pulls radical G's when accelerating and decelerating.
 :burnout:
Mickey

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." Lou Holtz

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2009 - 11:51:28 AM »
What does "G" machine mean?

SRR

In absolute terms, a car that can pull 1 G of force when accelerating, cornering, and braking.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2009 - 11:51:39 PM »
I have a few pics but they aren't that great of quality.  Basically the focus has been on getting the body panel gaps closer.  Then the body guy block sanded down the entire car and fixed all the things I didn't get quite correct.   :D  Right now the back half of the car is all in high build primer and ready for another round of block sanding (he tinted the primer a light green). 

The passenger fender with all the damage has also been repaired.  Right now all the front sheetmetal is off the car and so he was supposed to spray the underside of the fenders with the bedliner material this weekend using a different spray gun, so hopefully that came out better then the underside of the car.

Anyway, I'll post new pics when I get them.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2009 - 07:12:37 AM »
Travis,
Looking like some good progress.

Wes

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #221 on: March 23, 2009 - 07:51:33 AM »
its good to see progress  :2thumbs:even if its seem slow it will be in color and looking great.  :bigshades:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Srobinson4

« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2009 - 11:48:44 PM »
In absolute terms, a car that can pull 1 G of force when accelerating, cornering, and braking.

From your response it seems as if I may need additional information on such a car. Could you please provide me with a source for this information or tell me as much as you can.  For instance what type of HP ratings does one need to pull one "G"?  Is the suspwension of the vehicle in question upgraded?  etc.  I am just an old shcool country boy please help.

SRR

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2009 - 12:31:00 AM »
"G, what a car!!!"
 :drool:
...or...
It pulls radical G's when accelerating and decelerating.
 :burnout:
From your response it seems as if I may need additional information on such a car. Could you please provide me with a source for this information or tell me as much as you can.  For instance what type of HP ratings does one need to pull one "G"?  Is the suspwension of the vehicle in question upgraded?  etc.  I am just an old shcool country boy please help.

SRR

Heck out hair in thu sticks when ya see a sharp ride ya mightn say GEEE looky at thar mOchine....ie G-Machine :icon16:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009 - 12:33:54 AM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2009 - 01:20:55 AM »
LOL... I like the last response.   ;D

G-machine and pro-touring are two terms used to describe cars that are built to turn corners and not just go in a straight line.  A lot of the pro-touring cars seem to have 1000 HP engines and $20k paint jobs and yet they never actually take their car to track.  Since I plan on driving my car hard I prefer the G-machine term over pro-touring... plus my car won't be nearly as nice as a lot of the pro-touring cars out there. :-\  Will it ever be able to do 1g in anything/everything.... very doubtful, but trying to achieve it will be fun.

Travis
72 Cuda