72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219577 times)

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - finally getting closer
« Reply #345 on: July 13, 2011 - 11:47:39 PM »
It's an AlterKation... coil overs attach to the AlterKation frame.  Or are you asking about the back?

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #346 on: July 14, 2011 - 06:58:28 PM »
Looking good Travis!!
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #347 on: July 15, 2011 - 05:24:42 PM »
It's an AlterKation... coil overs attach to the AlterKation frame.  Or are you asking about the back?

Travis
72 Cuda

Yes, the rear coil overs.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #348 on: July 15, 2011 - 10:55:33 PM »
Job looks real nice!!! :2thumbs:  I cannot tell if you are wiring up and Apache Attack helicopter or a cuda but it sure does look good where are the 25mm rounds stored LOL :roflsmiley:. Really the job is looking pretty stellar. :bigsmile:

Offline Travis72

« Reply #349 on: July 15, 2011 - 11:03:11 PM »
The main thing was fully welding in the Air Ride brackets which attach to the frame rails.  I also fully welded the stock shock crossmember to the frame rails.  The Air Ride suspension includes their own upper shock mount.  It does reuse the stock upper shock mount bolt hole but given how the bracket is welded solid I'm not worried about it.  There used to be pictures in this thread but they are probably long gone now.  If you want to see any pictures just send me a PM.

Has your Dad's car had problems with shock mounts?

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #350 on: July 16, 2011 - 04:00:11 PM »
damn that is one fine looking car!! the quality of your work is awesome!!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #351 on: July 24, 2011 - 11:41:51 AM »
Great updates Travis!!!   Thanx!!! :2thumbs:   You've made some great choices. And it looks KILLER!  That fuel tank is purdy!  Lot's of bells and whistles. Reminds me of Sickfish.  Nice attention to detail.  It gives me a lot of ideas. And shows very clearly what you've done and what it looks like. One of my favorite builds here. Keep up the good work! You've come a long,Long way dude!!! :ylsuper:   Bet it's even starting to smell new!   :icon16:   R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #352 on: July 30, 2011 - 07:02:47 AM »
The main thing was fully welding in the Air Ride brackets which attach to the frame rails.  I also fully welded the stock shock crossmember to the frame rails.  The Air Ride suspension includes their own upper shock mount.  It does reuse the stock upper shock mount bolt hole but given how the bracket is welded solid I'm not worried about it.  There used to be pictures in this thread but they are probably long gone now.  If you want to see any pictures just send me a PM.

Has your Dad's car had problems with shock mounts?

Travis
72 Cuda

Not with the mounts, but it's been through a half a dozen shocks!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Travis72

« Reply #353 on: August 15, 2011 - 01:43:52 AM »
Time for an update on the fuel system.

I’ve had the repop 3/8 stainless steel fuel line mounted on the car for a while now. Why 3/8”?  Everything I read said that for a fuel injected engine there is no reason to upgrade to 1/2 unless you are at 700 hp or something.  All the new super high performance cars (Corvette ZR1, etc.) only have a 3/8 line and they are well over 500 hp.  Back at the tank I found a good place to connect to the hard line and cut it a little short.  It's meant to go around to the drivers side of the tank and so I basically cut it on a nice straight area right in front of the center of the tank. 

From the Hot Rod City garage tank the fittings are 3/8 NPT, so I used a NPT to -6 AN adapter.  For flexible lines I used -6 Aeroquip Teflon (PTFE) hoses.  The guys on pro-touring.com found this place:

http://aeroquip.cc/index.aspx

They sell the teflon hose in both the Aeroquip race FBC line and in the industrial S-TW line.  Folks have confirmed that it's the exact same hose but the industrial S-TW line is half the price.  The fittings interchange as well.  So I used the S-TW hose for the fuel lines and the power steering lines.  The fittings are actually the expensive parts and they start to add up after a while.

From the tank the hoses run to a Corvette C5 (1997 – 2005) filter/regulator (Wix 33737).  It’s a fuel filter and pressure regulator all in one, and it’s meant to mount back at the tank.  It’s probably the single best part GM has ever designed and its cheap  :D  So I’m up to 2 Ford parts and 1 GM part on the car  :lol2:  For the outlet of the filter I used a Russell 3/8" FI male quick connect to -6AN (PN 640940) - $13.99.  For the inlet and the return you can use Russell female quick connects to -6 AN but some folks have had problems with them. 

For basically the same price I used Swagelok Part number SS-600-6-6AN to connect to the 3/8" inlet and Swagelok SS-500-6-6AN for the 5/16" return line.  The Swageloks are super easy to work with (no tube flare is used…you just put them on and tighten them down) and are supposed to be good for 1000's of PSI.  I bought 3 of the SS-600-6-6ANs.  One for the fuel filter inlet, one to connect to the 3/8 hard line at the rear and one to connect to the 3/8 hard line at the front.  To me the Swageloks were worth it instead of having to mess with flaring the SS hard line and using tube nuts, etc.  I highly recommend them!

Here’s what the Swagelok’s look like:

Here’s the Corvette fuel filter/regulator:

I had to notch the shock crossmember for clearance.  It was going to be way too tight to try and get a fitting on there.  You can see the notch in the pictures.  There is also surprisingly little room to put the Corvette fuel filter back there.  I scratched my head for a while trying to figure out where to put it (there's no good place on the frame rail). I kept trying to put it on the passenger side in the shock crossmember but there was no good place to connect to the hard line.  Finally I put it on the drivers side in the shock crossmember and looped the lines around.  This allowed me enough service loop to make the bends I needed.  The only thing I'm worried about it exhaust clearance, but I’ll figure that out when the exhaust shows up.  There is room to mount it up higher (I just used an existing hole), plus I might fabricate a heat shield for it if the exhaust is close.

At the front of the car I bent the hard line to come up at the back of the motor instead of the front.  I attached the hard line to the firewall and from there I ran the Teflon hose to the fuel rails.

Finally I found some heater hoses with 90 bends and mounted those as well.  It gets a little crowded back there but you can still get to all the fittings.

Travis
72 Cuda

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011 - 01:25:58 AM by Travis72 »

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #354 on: August 15, 2011 - 07:47:21 AM »
Travis,
Looking great! Thanks for all the part numbers on the fittings, etc. That will sure save me some time in the future!

Wes

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - engine started!
« Reply #355 on: August 16, 2011 - 01:03:32 AM »
So after the fuel system was complete and the heater hoses were on, I gave everything a once over to make sure I didn’t miss anything.  Then I ran the fuel pump to flush the fuel lines and check for leaks.  I also made sure the oil filter was full of oil and added one final ½ quart of oil to top it off.  Finally I went for it and decided to try and start the engine.  Once I set the initial FAST XFI parameters, I was actually able to get the engine to start!!!  My buddy who was helping me (who I’ve been great friends with over the last 9 years or so) said “I think this is the first time I’ve ever heard your car start”.   Sad but true.

I just have open headers right now, so we only ran the engine for a minute or so.  With the open headers the O2 sensor reads dead lean so I think it’s dumping in fuel to compensate for it.  It was great to see all the gauges working and to hear the engine running.  I’ve had that crate engine since 2007 and I installed it in the car in Aug of 2010 so it’s been a long time coming.

Here’s 2 crappy quality Youtube videos.  In one of them I’m the one hidden behind the door watching the laptop data from the XFI system.

Luckily no leaks from the oil pan or engine.  One of the power steering lines that I made leaked at the fitting (and leaked out all of the power steering fluid that I had in there).  This was the first Teflon hose that I made and I had the fitting clamped in a vise.  So I think the rotation when installing the fitting caused the brazing to break???   :dunno:  Dunno, but that was the only hose that I made that I clamped in a vise like that and all the other hoses I made were fine with no leaks.

Anyway, it was very exciting.  I now have a Magnaflow exhaust system on order, plus an aluminum driveshaft.  Once that shows up, I can actually do a little tuning on the engine (it’s so weird to tune using a laptop versus a screwdriver and a timing light) to make sure its running safety and then even run it through the gears while on the jackstands.

Travis
72 Cuda
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011 - 01:26:31 AM by Travis72 »

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #356 on: August 16, 2011 - 02:01:33 AM »
Hard works payed off nice !!!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2011 - 06:25:10 AM »
that`s great to finally have some rumble  :cheers:  awesome build  :worshippy
*** Bart ***

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2011 - 11:02:43 AM »
 :iagree: nice Travis

/hezzel
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #359 on: August 18, 2011 - 08:03:28 AM »
You've given birth!  :roflsmiley:
Congrats! and good job!  :clapping:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0