72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219575 times)

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - finally getting closer
« Reply #360 on: August 18, 2011 - 08:55:29 AM »
Make sure its facing an open garage door when you run through gears on stands, wouldn't want a Ferris Beuller incident......  :scared:

Good work man!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2011 - 07:43:29 AM »
Awesome!!!! Sounds great!!!! Love the video!! Keep us updated !!!
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Travis72

« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2011 - 10:50:25 PM »
I’m a little behind on updates, but I got the driveshaft installed and put on the TTI header collector extensions.  Without the extensions I was getting a false lean reading from the O2 sensor.  The FAST XFI system still needs a lot of tuning mainly because the amount of options and things you can change is staggering, but I got the engine to idle without being lean. 

So I bolted in the old ripped stock seat and got up the courage to go ahead and back it out of the garage.  Actually the idle was surging between like 700 – 1000 rpm, but I was so excited I just wanted to have the car move under its own power.  Basically I wanted to make sure the brakes and clutch actually worked.  This is the first time the car has moved under its own power in like 10 years!!!  I know the video is not very exciting since I only take it around the cul-de-sac but what else am I supposed to do with open headers, no windshield and a sheriff who lives across the street!    ;D

After some more computer tuning (I originally had way too much timing at idle, etc.) I got it to idle much smoother.  Here’s a quick idle video.  It shows that all the gauges are working plus shows a screen shot of the FAST XFI software.

I’ve still got to come up with an air intake setup plus a ton of little things to do but it was still a very big moment.  It should make it a lot easier to put on the trailer now to take it down to the exhaust shop!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - moved under its own power
« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2011 - 01:28:48 AM »
I can only imagine the feel   :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:  congratzzz  :wow:
*** Bart ***

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #364 on: September 26, 2011 - 02:19:39 PM »
Travis,
That sounds a lot better after the tuning. Sounds and looks great!

Wes

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #365 on: September 26, 2011 - 02:34:14 PM »
Yes, we need more pics or your sweet ride!!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #366 on: September 27, 2011 - 12:16:52 AM »
Just to catch this thread up to this last weekend….  I ended up buying a Magnaflow 3” X-pipe system.  I went back and forth between the 3” and 2.5” systems.  The 3” system is overkill for my stock 6.1 but someday I’ll do cam/heads and so I’ll be prepared for that.  I mocked the system up and realized that it would need some modifications to fit well and that it wouldn’t be a lot of fun trying to do that while lying on my back in the garage.  So I decided to take it to a local exhaust shop.  The owner of this shop is a huge Mopar guy (he has a 69 Dart he’s restoring plus other Mopars in the shop), so I knew he’d do a good job.

On the way there I was on the freeway towing the Cuda and I had one of the trailer tires de-tread.  Pretty scary to see chunks of the tire behind you and look in the side view mirror to see the trailer fender all buckled.  Luckily the fender did its job otherwise that tread might have slapped in to the door of the Cuda!

Once I got the car there they ended up having to modify the system pretty heavily.  Mostly because my car is so low and has the 4-link rear end.  He used all the pipes and pieces but would cut and re-clock the pieces as needed to clear everything.  He also spent quite a bit of time making it clear around the driveshaft plus tucking it up as much as possible.  I didn’t take too many pictures when it was at the shop, but here’s one when it was in progress.

I also just realized I didn’t take any pictures of the exhaust tips other then this one when I was getting ready to pull the car off the trailer.

I used the 3” stainless steel Cuda exhaust tips from P&G.  The one thing I’m not happy with is the tips have a bow or dip in them along the horizontal edges.  I tried straightening them when they were off the car but that didn’t work that well.  Now that they are mounted I might be able to get better leverage to try and straighten them.  The other thing I wasn’t thrilled with is that the tips had 3” pipe installed but where the pipe met the box part of the tip the opening was pretty small and all jagged.  It was like they welded the pipe on to the closed off box part of the tip then they took a blow torch to open a small hole.  It was pretty cheesy and a definite restriction.  So I spent a while with a die grinder opening up the hole to at least come closer to matching the pipe.

Anyway, here’s one shot of the car down on the ground.  The color is washed out in the sun (plus the inch of dust on the car) but I kind of liked this angle.

I guess next I need to clean up my garage so I can buff out the windshield trim and get new glass installed.  Then get some of the interior in before taking it down to get the front end aligned.  Plus lots more computer tuning.  Anyway hopefully it will come together pretty quick now.  I’m really anxious for the first real drive.

Travis
72 Cuda

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011 - 01:20:50 AM by Travis72 »

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2011 - 12:34:15 AM »
Simply stunning and innovative restoration. Your car looks great and those wheels look nice especially the wide rears! :ylsuper:

Offline Beck

• BECK KUSTOMS
« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2011 - 05:07:34 AM »
Good stuff man, looking awesome!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2011 - 06:45:13 AM »
pfeeew.... were you lucky or what  :scared:  those chunks would have left a scar fur sure  :eek4:
sweet looking exhaust system... good to see someone taking some pride in building it  :2thumbs:  can`t wait to hear the rumble  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011 - 09:42:20 AM by dutch »
*** Bart ***

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2011 - 07:13:15 AM »
Sure is looking great! Nice job!  :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2011 - 01:05:16 PM »
just how much self control did it take not just go for ride the first time you drove her?

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2011 - 02:27:47 PM »
car looks fantastic! awesome job on the exhaust.

Did you add that drain plug/bung to the axle housing?
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2011 - 05:35:00 PM »
just how much self control did it take not just go for ride the first time you drove her?

:iagree: :smilielol:  ya no kidding!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Travis72

« Reply #374 on: September 28, 2011 - 01:26:25 AM »
LOL  Thanks for the comments all!  Actually with the engine idling the way it was I basically only tuned it enough to get an acceptable AF ratio at idle and so I restrained myself to make sure I wouldn't hurt the engine.  Since it's running a little better now I have driven it at least enough to get in to 2nd gear now  ;D  It's a pretty strange feeling driving around with no windshield.  The speedometer even worked which was nice!

I had Dr. Diff rebuild the rear end and so I had him add the drain plug at the same time.  It hangs down a little further then I would like, but for the ease of gear oil changes (something most of us are guilty of not doing enough), I thought it was a good addition.

Travis
72 Cuda