72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219565 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - moved under its own power
« Reply #390 on: January 06, 2012 - 09:24:46 AM »
Looks awesome  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline autodynamics

« Reply #391 on: January 07, 2012 - 09:10:13 AM »
Nice

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #392 on: January 07, 2012 - 09:55:17 AM »
One sweet looking ride!   :bigsmile:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #393 on: January 08, 2012 - 10:48:46 PM »
awesome progress Travis!!! You have yourself a one of a kind right there. I know you are going to enjoy driving that beast around.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Raw Untamed

« Reply #394 on: January 11, 2012 - 11:21:01 PM »
Nice job Travis.  Can't wait to hear more.
Joey

71 Challenger

Offline fez340

« Reply #395 on: January 12, 2012 - 03:12:26 AM »
your car looks amazing!!! everything about it is right on the money! beautiful! good work :) also i loved reading your thread, lots of great pics to learn from, thanks:)

Offline Travis72

« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2012 - 12:22:23 AM »
Thanks for all the great comments all!  I've really been enjoying the car.  I went ahead and took the car through emissions (idle test only in AZ for old cars) and it passed easily.  So I got the car re-registered and street legal to drive for the first time since 1999.  Pretty amazing.... it's been a long time coming.  Still no interior or sound deadening so it's loud in there but I don't care right now.   ;D  I went ahead and got the front end aligned because I don’t want to scrub those these front tires too fast.  The engine still needs some tuning but you need to drive it to self tune so that’s what I’m doing.  I’ve actually got 105 miles on the car as of today.  I still haven’t pushed it over half throttle yet.  In two weeks I’m going to have it dyno tuned so then I can finally start pushing it a little harder.

Since I needed something to sit on, I finally got the correct seat brackets for the old Recaro seats so I bolted in the drivers side.  On the passenger side I bolted in the stock drivers seat (before I got the Recaro brackets it’s what I was using to drive around).  The Recaro seat slider has a 3 hole height position mount and I just put them on the max height for now.  Still lots of head room even when my 6’ tall buddy sat in the seat.  With both the front and rear on the max height setting, it sits too high in the front (you can see the difference in the following pictures).  To move the front down to the next bolt hole I’ll have to cut the bracket, but I’m going to wait until after the seats get upholstered just in case that  changes the seating position.  With the seat angled the way it is plus the much higher that stock bottom seat bolsters, I’m really glad I got the tilt wheel otherwise it would be a pain for my fat butt to get in and out of the car!!

Before I forget, I also installed my $10 eBay Chrysler auto-dimming mirror.  I think it’s from the LH series of cars.  I mounted it using the mirror glue directly to the windshield like all the modern cars.  It works great and it’s just slightly larger than the stock mirror.

I got the drivers side remote side view mirror on but the glass flops around (see my other post in the body section) so I have to figure that out because it’s kind of useless when you’re driving around.  I also put the front and rear spoilers on the car.  The spoilers really change the look of the car.  In particular the front.  Before when you’d look under the front you’d see the AlterKation crossmember hanging down but the spoiler hides all of that.  I’m still planning on eventually doing the grille blackout, but for now here’s some pictures from today.

My wife was all excited to go for her first ride in the rebuilt Cuda so she filmed some video with her camera a couple weeks ago and I spliced them together and put it on youtube.  Check it out:

I still need to figure out how I want to do the seats and door panels in terms of a color scheme but I’ll make a post about that in the interior section.  The interior is about all that remains and should be the last big purchase on the car.  I still have bugs to work out (windows rattle, fuel gauge isn’t working, glove box rattles, etc.) but that’s why I wanted to drive it to figure out what I still need to fix. :D

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Travis72

« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2012 - 12:24:38 AM »
Forgot to put a rear view picture of the spoiler and the new custom license plate!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2012 - 01:50:54 AM »
Looking great bro!  I have loved watching this thread over the years!

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2012 - 02:18:15 AM »
Friggin Nice car , she is looking bad arse!! :2thumbs:

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2012 - 03:07:16 AM »
Very well done, shes a beauty  :2thumbs:
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #401 on: February 13, 2012 - 07:27:51 AM »
Looking great Travis. Great tip on the rear veiw mirror. Keep the pics coming
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #402 on: February 13, 2012 - 07:40:17 AM »
Great work! Now go wear the tires off her! :aarg:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #403 on: February 13, 2012 - 12:45:45 PM »
Lookin' great!  I can see the magazine atricles and write-up's already! :burnout:

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - finally getting closer
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2012 - 01:03:27 PM »
Time for an update on the fuel system.

From the Hot Rod City garage tank the fittings are 3/8 NPT, so I used a NPT to -6 AN adapter.  For flexible lines I used -6 Aeroquip Teflon (PTFE) hoses.  The guys on pro-touring.com found this place:

http://aeroquip.cc/index.aspx

They sell the teflon hose in both the Aeroquip race FBC line and in the industrial S-TW line.  Folks have confirmed that it's the exact same hose but the industrial S-TW line is half the price.  The fittings interchange as well.  So I used the S-TW hose for the fuel lines and the power steering lines.  The fittings are actually the expensive parts and they start to add up after a while.

From the tank the hoses run to a Corvette C5 (1997 – 2005) filter/regulator (Wix 33737).  It’s a fuel filter and pressure regulator all in one, and it’s meant to mount back at the tank.  It’s probably the single best part GM has ever designed and its cheap  :D  So I’m up to 2 Ford parts and 1 GM part on the car  :lol2:  For the outlet of the filter I used a Russell 3/8" FI male quick connect to -6AN (PN 640940) - $13.99.  For the inlet and the return you can use Russell female quick connects to -6 AN but some folks have had problems with them. 

For basically the same price I used Swagelok Part number SS-600-6-6AN to connect to the 3/8" inlet and Swagelok SS-500-6-6AN for the 5/16" return line.  The Swageloks are super easy to work with (no tube flare is used…you just put them on and tighten them down) and are supposed to be good for 1000's of PSI.  I bought 3 of the SS-600-6-6ANs.  One for the fuel filter inlet, one to connect to the 3/8 hard line at the rear and one to connect to the 3/8 hard line at the front.  To me the Swageloks were worth it instead of having to mess with flaring the SS hard line and using tube nuts, etc.  I highly recommend them!

Here’s what the Swagelok’s look like:

Here’s the Corvette fuel filter/regulator:

I had to notch the shock crossmember for clearance.  It was going to be way too tight to try and get a fitting on there.  You can see the notch in the pictures.  There is also surprisingly little room to put the Corvette fuel filter back there.  I scratched my head for a while trying to figure out where to put it (there's no good place on the frame rail). I kept trying to put it on the passenger side in the shock crossmember but there was no good place to connect to the hard line.  Finally I put it on the drivers side in the shock crossmember and looped the lines around.  This allowed me enough service loop to make the bends I needed.  The only thing I'm worried about it exhaust clearance, but I’ll figure that out when the exhaust shows up.  There is room to mount it up higher (I just used an existing hole), plus I might fabricate a heat shield for it if the exhaust is close.

At the front of the car I bent the hard line to come up at the back of the motor instead of the front.  I attached the hard line to the firewall and from there I ran the Teflon hose to the fuel rails.

Question on the fuel routing.  By having the combo regulator/fuel filter, does that mean the return line can be real short?  Just only to to where the filter is?  And it only needs to be 5/16"?  Not 3/8"?  That makes routing real easy.

Isn't it preset at 45PSI?  Is that good enough for what, 500HP max? 
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO