72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219574 times)

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - moved under its own power
« Reply #405 on: February 15, 2012 - 12:26:49 AM »
Correct that the return line can be really short (most modern cars including the Mopar LX series cars have the return built right in to the fuel tank and don't run a separate return line).  Mine is probably less than a foot long.  That's the beauty of the Corvette fuel pressure regulator.  So you save all the extra expense and weight of the return line.  For my return I used the same -6an teflon line but with the 5/16 Swagelok fitting.

The Corvette FPR is preset to 58 psi.  I'm seeing approximately that at the fuel rail as measured by my Autometer gauge.  There are a lot of LS1's out there making a ton of power with the same FPR, so I'm not sure what the Hp limit would be.  I think whatever fuel pump you are using would limit you before the FPR does.

Hope this helps.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - moved under its own power
« Reply #406 on: February 15, 2012 - 06:43:16 PM »
She's come a     l o n g     way Travis!! WoW!!   :clapping:   Looking real nice!!!  way to keep at it!! :working:  You'll be cruisin this year bro!!!!

:burnout:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - running and driving now
« Reply #407 on: March 12, 2012 - 07:24:24 PM »
I’ve been trying to put some miles on the car to keep working the bugs out.  The last time I drove it the glove box knob rattled off.   ;D  I’m now up to 180 miles on the car.

My best friend wanted to get me a nice Christmas present so he setup a dyno tuning session for both of us.  He’s got a 2007 Corvette Z06.  Its all stock right now and he still put down 440 hp to the rear wheels.  That car is pretty amazing and wicked fast.

So then it was my turn on the dyno.  Since I had so few miles on the car both the tuner and myself agreed to just do part throttle pulls to dial in the fuel and timing curve.  So we did a series of pulls at only 30% throttle running it from 2000 to 4500 rpm.  The good thing about the tuner is that you can go back for 3 free re-tunes, so once I get over 500 miles on the car I’ll be back to do some full throttle pulls.  Here’s a shot of the car on the dyno.  Besides my buddies Vette it was surrounded by imports (they tune a ton of high horsepower Evo’s because it’s an all wheel drive dyno).

Here's a video of one of my dyno pulls.  My buddy with the Vette said “I can’t believe how loud your car is at only 1/3 throttle”  LOL   I think the smoke out the pipes is just the internal oils and coatings in the exhaust burning out (I HOPE!).  The exhaust was the hottest its been since it was stationary plus sitting there idling and running for like 45 minutes straight.

I took this video looking through the rear wheel just because I thought it looked cool:

In this thread I’ve always tried to tell the good and the bad….. So after a number of pulls the engine started going lean in the upper RPM band.  So we made another pull and we noticed that the fuel pressure was falling off in the upper RPM.  I’m now really glad I have that fuel pressure gauge installed!  So we stopped quit there for the day.  We left the shop and about ½ mile down the road the engine died as I was just cruising along.  I pulled off to the side of the road and it started right back up.  I went about another ¼ mile and pulled on to the freeway on ramp and it died again.  Oh crap was all I could think.  All I was thinking is it’s going to be a LONG ride home if I can only drive it a quarter of a mile at a time!!!  Anyway it started right up again and I hopped on the freeway and cruised along at 75 mph and never had any other problems on the rest of the 15 mile drive home.  I’m thinking it was electrical.  I noticed when I got home the fuel pump relay was loose in the socket and about half way out.  Plus when I initially got the car running I just temporarily wired up the fuel pump thinking I would only take it around the block… not be driving it all over town.  I know I’m an idiot.  So I need to go back through all the wiring and clean it up.  I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter and re-flushed the fuel lines again just to be safe in case something was clogging them.

Once the car was running along on the freeway here’s a video that came out pretty good:

My buddy and I were laughing because here he is in this very expensive super high performance sports car and when I’m behind him on the road nobody even glances at him because they’re staring at the Cuda.  I told him “don’t feel bad it’s just the lime green paint”.   :lol2:  Anyway, still lots of things to sort out but it’s fun taking it out on the road.  I’m anxious to get the interior installed to quiet it down on the inside!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - sorting the bugs out
« Reply #408 on: March 12, 2012 - 08:46:49 PM »
Sounds like your well on your way to getting the bugs worked out!  Sounds like a fun day too!  :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline gkring

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine build up - finally getting closer
« Reply #409 on: March 12, 2012 - 10:10:18 PM »
Question on the fuel routing.  By having the combo regulator/fuel filter, does that mean the return line can be real short?  Just only to to where the filter is?  And it only needs to be 5/16"?  Not 3/8"?  That makes routing real easy.

Isn't it preset at 45PSI?  Is that good enough for what, 500HP max?

You can do that but when you do it gives you a fixed fuel pressure at the rail for the injectors. Works great, just make sure the compiuter you use is set up that way. The Mopar/AEM system is capable of a returnless fuel system. Most DFI or FAST systems out there need a return line and an engine vacuumn referenced fuel pressure regulator. More and more systems are going returnless due to the easier plumbing.

Back on topic-car looks awesome. Get it on a lift is possible and do a bolt check from front to rear. On builds that take years it is very easy to forget which bolts are tight and which ones aren't.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
72 Cuda g-machine - sorting the bugs out
« Reply #410 on: March 12, 2012 - 10:34:23 PM »
Great looking car! What front spoiler is that?
1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe, gen III project (Cone Killing Cuda)

Offline Travis72

« Reply #411 on: March 14, 2012 - 01:37:28 AM »
Great points Greg.  In fact someone pointed out to me that the FAST EZ-EFI requires a full return system.  I don't have a lift but I had it on jack stands this weekend and went through the front.  Good thing I did, the starter bolts were loose!

The spoiler is just a cheap MAS racing one.  MAS is out of business now.  Spoilers By Randy makes one that looks very similar externally but he built in a nice mounting flange and hardware unlike the cheap MAS one.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
« Reply #412 on: March 14, 2012 - 04:42:17 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Oh and I also run the vette filter regulator on my swaps as well. I use earls plumbing quick disconnect fittings and run -6an lines. This makes it a piece of cake and most like a factory install. Usually the regulator is about 4 feet from the fuel tank tucked neatly on the subframe for easy access. It is a filter as well and should be changed periodically.

Offline jedg

« Reply #413 on: March 14, 2012 - 04:47:59 AM »
Hands down the best thread I've read.  Thanks again Travis.

As for the Spoilers by Randy, this is the link - http://spoilersbyrandy.com/707274Barracudafrontspoiler.aspx

I ordered from him.  Got it in no time and very well constructed.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #414 on: March 14, 2012 - 04:55:47 AM »
Dyno 1 sweet engine bark!! :bigsmile:

Offline Travis72

« Reply #415 on: March 18, 2012 - 02:22:44 AM »
Besides the interior that I’m still undecided on, I’m running out of big parts left to install on the car.  LOL  So I had some bling items to install.  One was the hood pins.  I’ve had the pins sticking out of the hood forever and so I finally installed the plates.

The other thing was Modo Innovations finally came out with Mopar pedal covers, so I decided to buy a set.  They have a cool look to them and seem to work good on the street. 

pedals

I’m still trying to find a good local upholstery shop to re-do the seats.  In the mean time I experimented with some different door panel combinations.  I took my old crumbling dried out panel and grabbed the SEM interior dye and painted it twice in two different examples.  I’m still undecided but at least I have some examples now.  See what you guys think:

My other thought was to maybe use silver to tie it in to the Autometer gauges?  I was thinking I would also do the insert outline (where the grand coupes had the chrome strip) with a lime green strip.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline jedg

« Reply #416 on: March 18, 2012 - 02:58:38 AM »
Travis,

My vote is for white on black, the second pic.

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
« Reply #417 on: March 18, 2012 - 07:12:04 AM »
Travis,

My vote is for white on black, the second pic.

I agree, looks good!

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
« Reply #418 on: March 18, 2012 - 10:27:09 AM »
I've been following this build, nice car. Were those pedals expensive?

Kyle.
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline Travis72

« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2012 - 12:57:31 AM »
I've been following this build, nice car. Were those pedals expensive?

Kyle.

Yeah they are unfortunately.   :(  You can see the pricing on their website:

http://www.modoinnovations.com/

I like them though.  XV Motorsports sells a cheaper set of pedals, but I didn't like the look of them (just a personal opinion).

Travis
72 Cuda