72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update

Author Topic: 72 Cuda g-machine - 2016 update  (Read 219585 times)

Offline autodynamics

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - running again
« Reply #480 on: December 19, 2013 - 01:07:33 AM »
Great job !
I feel your pain in some of your issues
I had my share of them a well over the years similar to yours and more

I pm you
Pete

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #481 on: December 19, 2013 - 10:57:25 AM »
Really got me worried about my ride tech rear. Glad you got yours sorted out.

Offline Duff

« Reply #482 on: December 19, 2013 - 11:23:51 AM »
Wow your car's looking sweet!!!!  I loved the pic of the rear end with the car on the alignment rack.  That tire setup is meannnnn!

Offline inviolet

« Reply #483 on: December 19, 2013 - 11:54:26 AM »
Excellent Build.  :cheers:

Offline Travis72

« Reply #484 on: December 19, 2013 - 01:05:21 PM »
After all this work, I finally got the Cuda on to a road course!  Since this is meant to be a build thread, I made a new thread in a different section about my experience on the track:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=96788.msg950417#msg950417

I'll post back on here once I add the catch can for the axle vent.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - finally on a road course!
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2014 - 10:10:29 PM »
Well Eric’s (ntstlgl1970) thread inspired me to update my own thrash to get ready for MATS.

One of the things I’ve been meaning to do is put on the hockey stick stripe like in the rendering for my car. I’ve had the stripe for 4 or 5 years now sitting in a box.  I got it from ChallengerGary here on c-c during one of his Christmas time sales.  So I took it down to a local company that does full vehicle vinyl wraps and had them do the install.  Surprisingly they didn’t use soapy water or anything, they just installed it dry and made it look really easy.  Since a 72 never came with a hockey stick stripe, I didn’t use the factory dimensions and instead just stood back and eyeballed where I thought the stripe should go.

I got the stripe in matte black to match the rims, etc. and I love the way it looks on the car.

One issue I had to fix was when I would fill the tank it would leak a little gas from the electrical bulkhead fitting.  I tried band aiding it but it didn’t work.  It turns out the plastic bulkhead had sheared off (it supposed to be like ½” longer).  I found the other piece laying in the tank.

I figured out that the electrical connection used on the Hot Rod City Garage fuel tank is basically the same one that was stock on various 90’s GM cars.  However, I couldn’t find anywhere that seemed to sell just the yellow plastic part I was looking for.  So I ended up getting a universal in tank harness from Racetronix that sells upgraded fuel pump wiring harnesses.  The good thing is all the wire gauges are upgraded over what I had.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=BCWS%2D001&eq=&Tp=

Since I had issues with the fuel pump in the past, I just wasn’t confident in taking the car for a long drive.  So on the recommendation of Pete (autodynamics here on c-c) I bought a DeatschWerks DW300 fuel pump. Pete was right this new fuel pump is basically about 1/3 as loud as the Walbro pump.  It also seems to provide much more consistent fuel pressure.  Here’s a video I made trying to show the difference in sound.  You might have to turn your speakers up to hear the DW300 pump.

My other reason for pulling the tank was the fuel level gauge had never really worked.  So I replaced the float type sender with an Isspro tube type unit.  Now it actually reads accurately!

The other thing I finally got around to was running the AC lines.  Since the AC compressor is mounted in the very bottom drivers side front of the engine and I needed to run the lines back to the passenger side, I wanted to hide them as much as possible.  First I used Aeroquip (or Eaton, same thing) EZ-Clip lines and hoses which allowed me to make all the hoses myself.  This video at the 5:30 mark gives a good description of the EZ Clip hoses.

So I have two 90 degree fittings with the service ports coming off of the AC compressor.  From there I routed the hoses under the radiator and secured them to the core support with rubber lined clamps.  After going through the drier and condensor, I then routed the hoses up the passenger side inner fender (on the wheel side).  I had to put in the binary safety switch at this point because on my 72 where Vintage Air wants you to install the switch in the drier it interfered with my grille.  I then routed the lines up to the top of the fender before finally making their way to bulkhead connectors.

I then took it to an AC shop to have the system charged.  Luckily I only had one leak and it was on an easy to access fitting where I pinched the o-ring.  The -6 line that goes on to the Vintage Air box is basically a blind mate and a huge pain in the butt.  I still have scratches on my forearms from that.  Another tip to anyone installing a Vintage Air system is to install the -6 AC line before putting the box up under the dash.

The system blows nice and cold but I’ve had one problem with it…. that “should” be simple to fix but I haven’t fixed it yet.  Vintage Air supplies 2.5” round hoses with a wire spiraling through it (kind of like a dryer hose), then the output ducts on the evaporator unit are a teardrop shape.  You’re supposed to push the hoses on to the teardrops where 2 small plastic ridges secure the hose to the duct.  My problem is as soon as you turn it up to high speed the hose comes partially off the output duct so that most of the cold air is just blowing directly on your feet and not coming out of the face vents.  I first tried aluminum foil duct tape, but that didn’t work.  I then tried “gorilla” duct tape but that didn’t work either.  Part of the issue is that when the unit is up under the dash there is no room to try and secure the hoses.  All 4 duct hoses are squished right on top of each other.  Its a huge pain.  Talking to another Vintage Air owner at MATS, he thought the key was to try and get at least 2 complete revolution of the metal wire over the plastic ridges.  In the coming weeks I’m going to drop the box down from under the dash and I’ll try that.  I think I also am going to try and secure them with like bailing wire.  I don't think zip ties are enough.   :clueless:

One other thing I had been putting off was getting the tail pipes re-installed.  After the car was lowered in the rear the tail pipes didn’t fit correctly.  So I took it back to the local exhaust shop that’s run by a huge Mopar guy.  He stayed until 8:30 pm on a Friday night because he knew I was trying to get the car ready for MATS (he was also going to MATS).  If you look close you can see his blown Dart race car on the lift.  Plus underneath it is a really cool station wagon with a 426 hemi and 4-speed that is owned by one of the owners friends.  The wagon was also at MATS.

The final thing I did was change the axle vent setup with a very small catch can…. but it didn’t really work.  More on that later. 

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Travis72

Re: 72 Cuda g-machine - road trip plus first autocross and drag strip
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2014 - 11:59:06 PM »
So after getting the car home at 9pm Friday night April 4th from the exhaust shop, I loaded it on the trailer and packed up my truck.  Got like 4 hours of sleep then headed to Inde Motorsports Ranch the next morning for another track day.

The same 2nd gen Camaro was there from last time and one of his friends in a nice 1st gen Camaro with a truck LS motor was with him.  I talked to these guys a while and checked out their cars.  Cool rides!

This picture shows the normal variety of cars there….. BMW, GT-R, Porsche and a brand new C7 Corvette Stingray. 

I was still having gear oil leakage problems so I was messing with that between sessions so I didn’t take many pictures this time.  I was running around so much I actually forgot my GoPro.  One of my buddies was there and he had an app on his phone called Harry’s Lap Timer that has hundreds of tracks programmed in to it.  So we hooked that up to my car and recorded video.  I’ve only seen it on the phone itself and it looks pretty cool because it’s using the phone’s GPS as a telemetry system and overlaying it on the video.  Since I went to Vegas the following week I have not had a chance to download the video from his phone yet but when I do, I’ll be sure and post it.

Anyway, I did two, twenty minute sessions on the track.  I pushed the brakes pretty hard this time to the point where I was getting some fade at the end of the second session.  My rims were basically a charcoal color due to all the brake dust.  That’s my finger swipe test.

So with still having gear oil leaking and knowing I was going to attempt to drive to Vegas in 5 days I didn’t push my luck and I packed it in early.  I wanted to get a long freeway drive under my belt before attempting it for real, so I had my buddy drive my truck and trailer home while I drove the Cuda.  The track is ~120 miles from my house.

The car made the drive with only one issue.  My pistol grip shifter was buzzing to the point of being annoying.  If I put my hand on it then it would quiet down.  After driving like 90 miles I realized I didn’t hear it buzzing anymore and looked down to see the shifter handle flopped forward on to the floor.  I knew right away one of the bolts had backed out.  I was thinking to myself “I wonder if the bolt is still sitting right there on the edge of the floorboard” and right then I hear, ding, ding, ding as the bolt goes flying out the back of the car.  So now I’m stuck in 5th, so I find an off ramp to pull off on and using a smaller bolt from my tool box in the truck I make a quick road side repair.

The gear oil ended up a fine mist all over the tail panel of the Cuda.  It also ended up all over the front of my truck since my buddy was following me.  So I added that to the list of things to fix before Vegas.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Travis72

« Reply #487 on: April 25, 2014 - 01:24:33 AM »

I had a couple days before I would leave for Vegas, so luckily my boss is pretty understanding when I said I now needed more time off.  So the main thing I needed to fix was the axle vent.  So I called up Dan from DTM Racing to ask for advice.  He said on the Hotchkis E-Max Challenger that they had to use a 1 quart radiator overflow to stop it from leaking and he suggested I do the same.  So I went down to my local hot rod shop and bought one of the 1 quart plastic radiator over flow bottles and rigged it up.  In reading online about other people that have had this issue, some suggested using a fuel filter in line as well.  So I added that to the hose leading to the bottle. I ran the one hose long and put a loop in it thinking that would help, but I don’t think its helping and in fact it might be hurting it from flowing back to the diff.  So I’m going to shorten that hose later.  I bought a clear fuel filter so I could see if its working and sure enough you see gear oil in there.  From the top of the over flow bottle I ran another hose to under the trunk floor and capped it with a sintered bronze filter.  Its looks like this:

http://www.grainger.com/product/SPEEDAIRE-Muffler-1A327?s_pp=false

The setup is not pretty but its functional and I was in a hurry.  The good news is I didn’t have any leaks on the 1000 miles I drove to Vegas and back so I might have finally cured the problem.

I also wanted to address a couple cosmetic things.  I’ve never installed the passenger side mirror because when I got it back from the painter it was chipped.  It turns out the “paintable” mirror I bought was just a chrome mirror that had been primed and when the paint chipped it went all the way down to the chrome.  So I bead blasted it and scuffed it really good then I repainted it with epoxy primer before shooting it with color and clear.  I used a cheap detail spray gun.  I wanted it installed not just for looks but for the safety aspect of driving in the crazy Vegas traffic.  Anyway, my wife took an action pic.

At the last minute I decided to grab the old used door panels out of my storage shed.  I had bought these a long time ago on eBay.  They aren’t perfect having a torn armrest and one damaged screw hole, but they are a lot nicer than my original ones.  They were also a dark green.  Since I didn’t have time to get the proper SEM dye, I went to my local Autozone and bought a couple cans of Duplicolor fabric dye in flat black.  I cut the square hole needed for the power window switches and shot a couple coats of paint on there before installing my original hardware.  When painted up they look pretty good and a heck of a lot better than without the panels!  This was the first time the car has had door panels on it in probably 10 years.

And with that, I was ready to hit the road Thursday morning to Vegas.

Myself and others posted a bunch of pics and videos in the following thread so I won’t repeat them here.  Included are videos of one of my quarter mile passes, and video of the autocross both inside and from outside the car.  In the other thread you can see how I hooked up the remote battery disconnect through an old tail light.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=98515.0

The only other pic I wanted to add was there was a really sweet 71 Swinger on the cruise that had a 5.9L Magnum motor in it.  I never got to talk to the owner but I snapped a quick picture when I was on the road by him.  Then when I got home from the trip and looked at this months edition of Mopar Action, there was the same Swinger on the cover!  Pretty cool.

So I mentioned it in the other thread, but I’ll expand on it here…. On Saturday at MATS, I pulled up to the autocross pits and start talking to folks that were asking questions about the car.  One guy waited patiently and asked a couple questions about the car before saying “I’m Johnny the editor of Popular Hot Rodding magazine and I’d like to feature your car in the magazine.”  They only catch was I had to stay until Monday.  So I had to call work again to tell them I needed another day off.  lol  I never built my car as a show car so the paint is not that great, a lot of things aren’t perfect, etc. but Johnny liked that I built it myself and that I drove it to Vegas to race it.  I was pretty shocked.  In fact I had only brought a microfiber towel and a quick detail spray to Vegas just to get the bugs off the car.  So I had to go to an auto parts store and buy some cleaning supplies on Sunday.  I then spent all Monday morning getting the car as clean as I could with what I had.

The photoshoot was from 2 - 8 pm.  It was a long day.  I must have moved the car 30 times.  He had some cool techniques to get the photos he wanted.  I didn’t take many pictures of the process because both my wife and I were busy helping the entire time.  But basically he did things like put the engine in to complete shade (even putting a black blanket between the hood and windshield) and then using remote flashes to put the light where he wanted it.  It’s over my head but it was all about controlling the light and then using reflectors or flashes to put the light on certain angles.  We did the photoshoot in a parking lot across from the Nascar track and even took some pictures of it driving on the road (besides the pictures he had taken at the autocross).

Johnny said it should be in the Sept. issue which will come out in early August.  I mentioned cuda-challenger.com in the “who has helped on the car” section of the write up so hopefully that makes the article!  :-)   Since Eric’s Cuda (ntstlgl1970) will be featured in Mopar Muscle as part of their True Street Shootout, I would say it was a pretty good weekend for cuda-challenger.com members!

When all was said and done after 2 weeks, I had put over 1150 miles on the car (it only had 950 on it before all of this), including 2 twenty minute high speed road course sessions, 2 quarter mile passes and 12 laps on the autocross.  I averaged right around 20 mpg on the freeway including one stretch of 21.5 mph.  I was thrilled the car ran so well and that I made it there and back safely.  The only major hiccup I had was the heater hose blowing off the Vintage Air box and dumping the entire contents of the radiator on the passenger side floorboard that I talked about in the other thread.  It was also great meeting both Alan (360Fish) and Eric in person, and also seeing Joe from Yuma again.

Travis
72 Cuda

p.s. Sorry so long.... it's been a while....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2014 - 02:14:24 AM »
Travis -

I'm glad you are writing about your experience  - hopefully it will inspire more people to bring their car out next year. Funny you mention gear oil - I had a similar problem on the track 
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #489 on: April 25, 2014 - 04:43:42 AM »
 :clapping: :2thumbs:   Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #490 on: April 25, 2014 - 04:53:20 AM »
 :iagree:  :cooldancing:
*** Bart ***

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2014 - 09:08:26 AM »
Hey Travis what vintage air kit did you use? I'm getting ready to purchase one myself. Did I miss your 1/4 mile times in there? Car looks great btw good to see your driving the crap out of her

Offline Travis72

« Reply #492 on: April 26, 2014 - 03:05:19 AM »
I have the Vintage Air kit made for the E-body with a factory air / ralley dash car.  I bought mine without the compressor since I used a stock Gen III Hemi compressor.  I didn't use any of the Freon lines that came with the kit since I made all custom ones.  So basically all I used was their Gen IV evap unit, the condenser / dryer and the control panel (which is really slick). 

If you check out the one link there is a video that 360Fish posted on my car on the drag strip.  My 2nd run was a 12.89 @ 114.56 mph with a really crappy 2.177 sixty foot time.  I babied it out of the hole slipping the clutch.  I tried side stepping the clutch at 2000 rpm on my first run and the tires just went up in smoke.  With either better driving or a set of slicks it should be good for a low 12 given the mph I'm running.  I'm looking forward to getting back out on a drag strip.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #493 on: April 26, 2014 - 04:21:02 AM »
I have the Vintage Air kit made for the E-body with a factory air / ralley dash car.  I bought mine without the compressor since I used a stock Gen III Hemi compressor.  I didn't use any of the Freon lines that came with the kit since I made all custom ones.  So basically all I used was their Gen IV evap unit, the condenser / dryer and the control panel (which is really slick). 

If you check out the one link there is a video that 360Fish posted on my car on the drag strip.  My 2nd run was a 12.89 @ 114.56 mph with a really crappy 2.177 sixty foot time.  I babied it out of the hole slipping the clutch.  I tried side stepping the clutch at 2000 rpm on my first run and the tires just went up in smoke.  With either better driving or a set of slicks it should be good for a low 12 given the mph I'm running.  I'm looking forward to getting back out on a drag strip.

Travis
72 Cuda

Thanks man. I've been getting some serious quotes($1300.00) but i see those genIV kits can be found around $750.00.  I am glad to see your using that 426 for what's its worth. Get some stickies on the back there and hit high 11's

It's funny I made my Cuda a Manuel but really have no idea how to properly drive one :bigsmile: I mean I can roast some tires but that's about it.  That was a cool link to the show pics, not sure how I missed it the first time around. Looks like a great time.......other than a heater hose.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #494 on: April 26, 2014 - 08:56:30 AM »
Awesom  :picture:  :cheers:

Congrats on the coverage, I can't wait to see the issue in August  :money:

:bigshades:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...