Author Topic: Another Project... 70 challenger RT factory 440, sublime, AC, and more  (Read 23855 times)

Offline SilverChally

Re: Another Project... 70 challenger RT factory 440, sublime, AC, and more
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007 - 11:44:33 AM »
Yeah, got a general lee look to them too with spinners :roflsmiley:  Its a very solid car, only rust is around the front windshield, some bubbling on the quarters, but they were hacked for the flares, so they are getting replaced.  Trunk has a hole too, but frame, floors, rails, etc... all real solid.  Its a nice sight compared to mine that I fixed rust for a month!  Its coming apart pretty easy since its not a rust bucket too, I'm not used to bolts not being rusted stuck :thumbsup:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007 - 09:06:57 PM »
Made some progress... cars basically a shell, just the k-frame/few suspension parts left on front, trunk lid, rear side windows. 

Numbers on the motor match too.  Having fun with this one, never worked on an old mopar with so little rust!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007 - 11:24:20 PM »
Tossed her on the rotisserre...

This maybe be the only sublime challenger with a ledger green side stripe too   :dunno:  But look for it at Carlisle, if its ready owners flying out to drive it home and first stops Carlisle :thumbsup:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007 - 11:05:28 PM »
Cut off some of the quarters... can;t take them off completely yet, need to keep some strength, but its getting the full factory style.  Wheelhouses were hacked and same with extensions, shame as solid as it is.  So did some cutting and scraping, not too bad with it on the rotisserre, another hour should be done with the undercoating removal.

First car I ever worked on with torque boxes... next one has them too, but motors a little bigger :thumbsup:  well not cubic inch wise...
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007 - 09:26:54 PM »
Both sides off... looking foward to installing the full quarters.  Trunk/rear deck filler are getting replaced yet too... but not sure I want it tore down more til I get some parts back on.

70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007 - 06:14:16 AM »
Lookin good Joe, Reallll good!!!!!!!  :working:  :2thumbs:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007 - 12:06:17 PM »
So much for rust free CA car :roflsmiley:  At least I won't be patching all over like mine.  Seems like every car I do ends up like this one, guess its good I know what I'm doing.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007 - 04:18:22 PM »
Little more progress, plus put in a section of a rocker, no pic of that... left the gas tank braces in, not sure how far the repop trunk pan goes in the back on these cars.  Also the rear frame section to extension to help line things up.  Order a ton of panels today, so can make some real progess by next week :biggrin:  The car is on the rotisserre, but jackstand also, didn't want to rish it losing shape or anything. 

70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007 - 08:44:28 AM »
wow,lots of work for that "rust free car" LOL
Looks like it needs everything a rusty one would?  :horse:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007 - 11:36:15 AM »
Yep, someone did a great job hacking the quarters/extensions/outer wheehouses.  I've done this on every car, so seems normal to me!  I look foward to getting the full factory style quarters and see how they fit and so on. 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007 - 10:57:54 PM »
Got the trunk pans prepped and ready to go in, por-15 and weld thru primer on the rails and the trunk pans... going in tomorrow.  Just gotta put in some holes for the plugs and junk... dont mind the 68 runner in the background :roflsmiley: or the 69 on the other side, they are waiting their turns.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007 - 11:01:27 PM by SilverChally »
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007 - 07:08:33 PM »
Rolling along....It will be done before you know it... I may be doing the same soon, oh' boy can't wait....

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:05:24 PM »
Lookin good dude! I hate cuttin the old metal out and drillin spot welds. I like vaccuming out the rust and dirt and painting the rust proofing and welding in the new metal. Seems liek thats the more relaxing part of metal work. Just thought i share that with you  :dogpile:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:58:55 PM »
Yeah I'm with you, the new metal going in is one of the best parts.  The tear down is the easy part, now it takes a little more time, but luckily on this one no patches needed all over, panels and I'm done, other than the front window opening.  Got to wait til Monday to get some argon and more wire.  My challenger used it all up :roflsmiley:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007 - 09:44:43 PM »
Trunks in, well not welded in yet, out of stargon... and got the ds quarter fit up, started the ps.  Didn't want to weld anything til I got both sides where I'm happy.  I'm not overly impressed byt the goodmark quarters, I wasn't expecting perfection, but for 300-400 more over the patch style I figure they should be pretty nice.  They have creases and such and just dont fit the trunk area as good as I hoped.  But the ps was wrecked and didnt want 3 different quarters sections for the ps. 

Tomorrow off to get some welding supplies and other junk for another project...  :ylsuper:
70 challenger project
68 satellite