Author Topic: Oil and temp gauges died at once?  (Read 3734 times)

Offline AMXguy

Re: Oil and temp gauges died at once?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006 - 05:38:37 PM »
OK I'm baffled.  I got behind the dash and the fuel gauge is pulsing top and bottom. the oil and temp are dead top and bottom. there is a triple 90 degree black wire connected to the top of the oil and temp gages and the third plug in connected to nothing. the only terminal I can see it would reach or fit would be the amp meter and it's a full 12 volts so wouldn't that fry the gauges? there is a regulator or something on top with 12 v in the bottom and nothing out the top. this is a fresh rebuilt gauge set and it worked fine when I bought the car last month. I'm stumped, if I cant figure anything else out could I tap into the fuel gauge power? I still don't see how they ever worked.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006 - 05:48:42 PM »
Read this & see if you get any ideas
http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_Gauge_Faq
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006 - 06:14:58 PM »
OK I'm baffled.  I got behind the dash and the fuel gauge is pulsing top and bottom. the oil and temp are dead top and bottom. there is a triple 90 degree black wire connected to the top of the oil and temp gages and the third plug in connected to nothing. the only terminal I can see it would reach or fit would be the amp meter and it's a full 12 volts so wouldn't that fry the gauges? there is a regulator or something on top with 12 v in the bottom and nothing out the top. this is a fresh rebuilt gauge set and it worked fine when I bought the car last month. I'm stumped, if I cant figure anything else out could I tap into the fuel gauge power? I still don't see how they ever worked.

Can you post a pic of what you found? You DEFINITELY don't tap into the amp gauge.  :grinno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006 - 07:15:14 PM »
I haven't pulled the cluster so a picture would be tough, I looked in the TSM and it looks like the voltage regulator is at the top between the clock and center gauge cluster . the only thing I can imagine is there was a make shift jump wire that came off some where but I sure can't find it. the triple power supply wire is hooked to both oil and amp gauges but the 3rd end is open. if I can't find the supply wire I'm thinking that hooking onto the functional fuel gauge feed would do it, not the way I d like to fix it but I think it would work?
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006 - 08:13:33 PM »
all 3 guages are powered from the regulator with a triple connecter wire

Appears to be what CP suggests as correct
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006 - 02:34:44 AM »
the Triple feed wire from the voltage reg should be connected to the oil water & fuel guages Not the Ammeter
the power feed wire is a black wire with a flat spade terminal
 I have no idea what is feeding the fuel guage now but it Should be 5v from the regulator

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006 - 10:10:44 AM »
I the triple power supply wire is hooked to both oil and amp gauges but the 3rd end is open. if I can't find the supply wire I'm thinking that hooking onto the functional fuel gauge feed would do it, not the way I d like to fix it but I think it would work?

Re-read this & I am of the opinion that your fuel gauge is getting power from the wrong source. IF it is NOT getting power from the voltage limiter then it is getting a full 12V which WILL burn out the gauge. DO NOT connect other gauges there. You probably have a bad voltage limiter. Check out this link for testing & repair of limiter.

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006 - 10:50:08 AM »
OK, I'll test the power coming to the fuel gauge but it is pulsing, I know the B bodys fuel gauge had a separate power sorce but not E bodys I guess? the voltage regulator is hooked to the oil/temp gauges I can see now but it has 12V in the bottom and nothing out the top so it must be bad?   
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006 - 11:08:47 AM »
You say the power to the fuel gauge pulses, does it turn on & off about every second with a max of less than 6volts? or is it more than that & just dropping & rising?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 - 08:01:11 PM by bullitt99 »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2007 - 06:58:30 PM »
I will keep up with this thread since I am having the same problem with my Oil pressure and Temp guage.  I don't have the fuel gauge hooked up since I have all the wiring  removed to the back of the car.  I do have continuity from the sending units (new) to the firewall plug.  I may have to pull the dast out to check the other connections.  4 screws and two bolts.  Not too bad but several wires to unhook.    Bu the way the temp sending unit at Advance was about $5.00 and the oil sending unit was about $15.  I noticed Year one wanted a lot more that that. But they are reasonable on the vinyl top I have to buy.  ??!!
Dave or David

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007 - 10:00:45 PM »
Yes the fuel gauge power goes on and off just like a turn signal flasher, I ordered a voltage limiter and it should be here tomarrow or the next day and that must be the problem because no juice is coming out of it. still don't know why the fuel gauge works, it's not hooked up to the limiter the oil/temp gauges are.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007 - 10:30:56 PM »
is it connected to a flasher?
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline loco440

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007 - 03:52:35 AM »
Ok boys,this one mite be of help, my gauge 12 to 5volt unit karked it so I got on to www.allpar.com,go to electrical 2 and it describes a lot about gauges,the 5volt gauge modification (you knock up your self) is a gem and is easy to do and best of all works   

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007 - 06:16:50 PM »
The voltage limiter fixed them, they work fine now. the fuel gauge still works fine off it's own limiter somewhere in the system, I don't know what to think of that but as long as it works I'l live with it. thanks for the help guys.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007 - 06:28:35 PM »
I'm confused, but I'm glad all is working for you now.  :thumbsup: Do you know if your fuel gauge is accurate?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.