Need Help! Thinking of Buying My First House

Author Topic: Need Help! Thinking of Buying My First House  (Read 2948 times)

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
Need Help! Thinking of Buying My First House
« on: December 27, 2006 - 09:22:28 PM »
Ok so most of you guys know that I live on base with my family, well the Army has came through with a signifigant increase in housing money for my rank and I cant see paying in that much to live in a house that isnt up to the money Im paying to live on base.  So on to the meat of my problem, inexperience, my Stepdad/Mentor passed away during my last deployment and I need some advice on how to go about buying a house step by step, I plan on using my VA loan and so far the best rate is 6% is there a beter rate out there?  So if anyone is a self proclaimed expert please lend me some knowledge in this area as Im an housing idiot.  Thanks.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline willhaven

Re: Need Help! Thinking of Buying My First House
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006 - 09:37:21 PM »
I'm no expert as I JUST got my first house last month. My rate on the 1st mortgage was 6.25%. Right now, at least in my area, there doesn't seem to be any advantages on a 5 year Adjustable rate mortgage over a standard 30 year fixed.

I'd say 6% sounds sane. Just find a realtor that knows the area really well. I ended up getting a brand new home and couldn't be happier. It's a bit empty at the moment though. :)

I'm expecting some money in the next few months and just decided to see what I could get in October. Before I knew it I was signing papers and giving notice at my apartment. Scared the living crap out of me, but now I can begin to relax. And, hey, now I will have a place to store and work on a 'Cuda whenever I can afford one.  :poopoke:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006 - 09:39:25 PM by willhaven »

Offline willhaven

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006 - 09:43:38 PM »
I also hear it's a good time for first time buyers right now because the housing market is a little depressed. The house I got (in the ~270 range) dropped from about 285 a few weeks prior. It then dropped to ~225 at the end of November when they wanted to move product before the end of their fiscal year.

I wept silently to myself for a few days.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006 - 09:45:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up bro.

Don

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006 - 09:51:43 PM »
Readers Digest version...

....first...look at lots of houses, get an idea what you want and what you can afford(they will be different)....

....compare prices, locations, marketability(in case you want to sell ) etc etc.....just like shopping for a new car....

....when you find one you seriously like, get it appraised(it can be costly)....the banks normally loan 90% of the official appraisal, NOT THE ASKING/PURCHASE PRICE...............example, if the seller wants $125K...the bank appraisal is $100K, the bank will usually loan 90% or $90K...meaning you must have the other $35K in your pocket to make it work....the appraisal is yours, you paid for it, use it to your advantage in the negotiations...it isn't necessary to tell the seller WHAT the appraisal $$$ amount is...offer less than appraisal

....the realtor works for the seller, not you the buyer....they want you to pay as much as you can so their fee is higher

....make an offer, usually 20-25% less than asking is where I start...don't let the realtor over sell you...if they use too much sales pressure, walk away...by law, they have to present all offers to the owners

....I never used my VA loan ...it was cheaper to get one locally and a helluva lot less paperwork/time...use a bank for the loan iif possible....they are more regulated than mortgage companys and less likely to rip you a new one

....current rates in Indiana are 5-6%....it may not be worth your time to pursue a VA loan...check the numbers

...don't forget, in many states you will have property taxes to pay, utilities, lawn mowers to buy, etc etc....figure in all the angles of ownership to see if you can make it work...

....home ownership is a must to keep up with inflation, rent is throwing your money away...

.............good luck....

ps...I'm not an expert by any means, these are just ideas, hints....I have bought several houses and quite a few commercial propertys....my wife is a Senior VP at for a bank chain in Indiana ....good advice to talk to a couple of different banks in your area....they should also be very willing to give you advice and help on loans, fees etc etc.. ask lots of questions  :bigsmile:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006 - 10:24:23 PM »
Never get an adjustable mortgage
http://www.daveramsey.com/media/pdf/realestatecenter_9_buyer_traps_avoiding_them.pdf
http://www.daveramsey.com/media/pdf/realestatecenter_homebuyers.pdf

Example
Borrowing $100,000 at 10% for 30 years
Monthly Payment = $877.57
Total Interest paid = $215925.77

Borrowing $100,000 at 10% for 15 years
Monthly Payment = $1074.61
Total Interest paid = $93428.92

Thats a difference of $122,497 between a 15 and a 30

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006 - 12:08:07 AM »
Only get an ARM if you plan to sell within 4 to 5 years.

Look at Conventional financing too, they often times have better rates with less fees.  Do not just look at the rate... look at the APR.  That will take in to account the fees they tack on to the loan.  Also, find a few brokers and get serveral (at least 3 to 5) Good Faith Estimates.  There are still very good rates on loans.  The 4's are gone, but mid 5's are still very much in reach.

This can be useful too....

http://ray.met.fsu.edu/~bret/amortize.html

Good luck and you do not have to buy the biggest house or max out your limit, you just need to buy a house and get started building some equity.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline A383Cuda

• Sal's Muscle Cars
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006 - 04:37:51 AM »
I'm sure this is al getting a bit confusing for you. Let me clear it up a bit. I buy and sell houses everyday. I am a Realtor.
1. Stick with a conventional loan. 6% is a great rate and they are slowly on the rise, so do not be surprised if you close at 6.25% or there abouts. The lender will put a lock on the rate if asked to do so once you have signed a contract. This may cost you a bit extra, but you'll have to weigh the odds and see if it's worth doing that or not. The rates been pretty steady lately and most people are forgoing that. Also stay away from the arms or adjustable rates, there is no advantage to them right now. Stick with a fixed rate.

2.Realtors do NOT just work for the seller. You can go out and find yourself a buyer's agent. I have an ABR designation which stands for Accredited Buyers Representative. I have had specialized training in helping buyers like you in this type of situation. Should you like me to refer you to a ABR Realtor in your area, I'd be very happy to do so. A Buyer's agent 99.9% of the time will cost you nothing. The commissions come out of the seller's proceeds at closing based on the listing agreement. An ABR will look out for YOUR best interests. You deserve to have someone in your corner, they do.

3. When finding a lender, you are best to go with an actual lender who funds their own loans and not a mortgage broker. Mortgage brokers shop different lenders to find you a loan, but then they tack on their own fees. They are the middlemen in loans and that will cost you more in closing fees.

4. The lender as part of the process will require an appraissal to assure themselves that the home is indeed worth the money they are lending. The appraissals out here, generally run about $350. DO NOT go around paying for appraissals and then try to talk people down . It will only result in lots of spent money. After entering into a contract on a home, the lender will order the appraissal. If the home does not appraise, you can A. Renegotiate with the seller to lower their price. B. Walk away from the deal.

5. The market is a bit depressed in most areas, making it a "buyer's market". This gives you leverage when buyng your house. Many sellers are willing to pay some closing costs or even lower their prices to get the home sold. Keep in mind that with all of the other homes in their area being reduced in price, they are doing so as well. To be overpriced in today's market is NOT a good thing. As for walking in and offering 20-25% less on a house, it's just not going to happen, unless they are in financial stress. Think about it, if you had a home that was worth 240,000 last summer and is only worth 200,000 this summer whne compared to current sales. Then you aggressively price your home lower than surrounding homes at 190,000 in an effort to sell it, now being the lowest price home in the area (which many sellers are doing), would you drop another 20,000? If you are already the lowest priced home for sale, most sellers would not. That's not to say you can't pick it up in the 180-185 range, but the 20-25% rule will only get you frustrated. An ABR will arm you with a market analysis showing what the area is doing. They will also guide you in finding a resellable home that will protect your investment. It's their duty and obligation to giving you the information you need to help YOU make the right decision.

6. Look around and choose a home in a desirable area. Is it a safe area, is it kid safe with good schools? When you find a desirable home that has been on the market a very short time, if the home is "perfect" for you. Make an offer. Even in the slower markets, people are looking for that one home that stands out. The extra little touches you like about this home will also be desirable to others, and procrastination may cause you to lose the deal.

7. Most states offer an inspection period. In Arizona it's 10 days. Hire a home inspector to come out and inspect the premises. It's best to know exactly what you are getting into, instead of finding out the hard way later. Should he find anything wrong (they will always find some small stuff), you can then use this list to ask to sellers to make the repairs. They are not obligated to, but most will in order to keep you in the deal.

Give me a call if you have ANY questions or if you'd like me to refer a Buyer's agent. I look forward to talking with you, and good luck in finding the perfect home. Sal Carmona ABR (800) 551-1253 or (520) 419-8683 SalC@LongRealty.com www.SoldBySal.com

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006 - 06:08:37 AM »
I suggest you talk to 4C.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006 - 06:54:40 AM »
Many states have special rates for 1st time home buyers etc. here is a link to TN Housing Dev. Look under Morgages. http://state.tn.us/thda/
I notice they limit Originating Agents to 1% origination fee.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006 - 06:58:00 AM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006 - 07:58:36 AM »
Don, I agree with Mike (MEK) talk with 4C, he will have the answers and I'm most confidante they will be best for your situation. He will be knowledgeible, up front, and honest with you...........and he is one of us  :roflsmiley: And, he still has a certain bottle of yours that can be used in celebration  :roflsmiley:

AND, there is also a lot of good information already listed here. Good luck  :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006 - 08:52:46 AM »
I can definitely help you out Don.  I can find you a seasoned realtor in the area you are looking and also I can/will review the paper work for you if needed.  Let me know when you're ready, where you are looking and I'll get the ball rolling for you and help you along the way.  It'll be easy!   :2thumbs:   Send me a PM and we'll talk! 

For those that don't know . . . I'm a real estate broker with 20 years experience.  I own 3 offices and support about 100 agents. I'm also a part owner of a title and a mortgage company.  This definitely keeps me busy!   :grinyes:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006 - 09:26:45 AM »
Thanks guys for the great info, dont have time to address all the posts right now but wanted to say thanks!

Don

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006 - 10:03:01 AM »
Sounds like 4C will be an excellent source of info for you. Do not get into  an ARM loan, the beginning rates my be lower and some agents will try and talk you into it but think of the $$ you will need to come up with in 5 years for your buydown.. Not a good idea there.  Most areas will be able to help you if your a first time buyer there are programs available.  You should be able to get into loan for 3-5%. Remember in the market today you will be able to negotiate your final cost and the seller in some cases (if they are wanting out bad) will help you in your closing/settlement costs. (I've bought and sold several homes over the years and never  had to come up with much $ at settlement. Decide on the area you are interested in and carefully look at he available stock,  Set down and talk with several realtors until you find one your comfortable with. You will also have the opportunity to select your own lender and title companies. It pays to shop around. Dont rush into anything as this is one of the biggest decisions you will ever make financially. IF you see some homes you like, take your time look at them closely. Go back for more visits. Examine comparable homes in the area. If you feel comfortable make an offer. When doing so, put in that offer that the seller assists you in closing costs (it never hurts to ask and right now it is a buyers market) They will either counter it , accept it or reject it.  Work with your realtor, they are your employee in a sense. ITs a big step sometimes scary but always exciting. Once you have an accepted offer and decide on a settlement date hire a home inspector to thouroghly go over the home. Its $$ well spent and they will direct you as to what if anything need to be done, (roof,, plumbing, heat etc. Some things the seller may agree to handle, some the seller may agree to take out of the selling price and let you handle.  Thers so much to learn but the biggest thing is to not get rushed into it. Take your time  shop the market ask ?'s  most reputable realtors will be more than happy to work with you to help you find the best home you can afford that best suits your lifestyle.   Good luck,, sorry i rambled
Doug
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006 - 12:48:33 PM »
Members / Brothers and Sisters

I have decided to not buy a house just yet...  I went to the real-estate office today and my price range was in the 120's and the quality of home at 120 was not what we were looking for.  We were looking for something in the 150 range.  I know that house price ranges vary from state to state but what we are looking for was 3+ Br 2 Ba 2 Cr Ga at least 1300 Sq Ft and we just couldn’t see going through all the trouble for something subpar.  My wife graduates College in a little over a year and I have another deployment coming up in AUG so we will revisit this issue I think when I come back.  Until then I think I will become an expert in how buying a home works!  To all who offered advice and help/assistance thank you so much you guys are what make this community/2nd home what it is you guys are the best friends anyone could ask for.

Don