70 Cuda grille question

Author Topic: 70 Cuda grille question  (Read 6710 times)

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
70 Cuda grille question
« on: December 27, 2006 - 11:33:01 PM »
What is differences between the black grilles and the argent painted ones?? Besides the obvious....which cars came with the black grilles??
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: 70 Cuda grille question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006 - 11:54:43 PM »
I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part non R/T cars were Argent and Real R/T cars were Black.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006 - 07:28:14 AM »
what of the cudas??
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006 - 08:24:40 AM »
I think that AAR cudas had black grilles and they had special chrome trim in them. NOt 100% certain on this. I also believe that the 'cuda models had a red horizontal stripe in the centerof the argent grille? Anyone who knows more feel free to correct me.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006 - 08:38:10 AM »
It is correct that the AAR's had the blacked out grill with chrome trim.  I believe all others were argent.  :thumbsup:

Offline triplets

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 - 12:07:16 PM »
FYI-the AAR grilles were molded in black where as regular cuda/barracuda grilles were molded in clay colored ABS-
R/T was never used to designate cudas or barracudas-it was for dodge makes

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006 - 12:57:54 PM »
FYI-the AAR grilles were molded in black where as regular cuda/barracuda grilles were molded in clay colored ABS-
R/T was never used to designate cudas or barracudas-it was for dodge makes

:iagree:  AAR's were molded black with the stainless trim. Cuda/Barracuda/gran coupe grilles were all argent. Cuda's had the red line through the center, gran coupes had the same stainless trim as the AAR's and the barracuda's had no extra trim piece.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006 - 05:06:04 PM »
Most AAR Cuda grilles were molded in black. Some were molded in a light brown / beige color then painted black.

Barry

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006 - 06:33:02 PM »
Grills for 1970 Barracuda's and Cuda's were as follows:

Base Barracuda
 Usually molded in Grey ABS
 Painted in Argent Silver
"Plymouth" Emblem on drivers side
 Stainless steel edge surround trim

Base Barracuda with M46 Decor Option
 Painted in Organosol Black
"Plymouth" Emblem on drivers side

Barracuda Gran Coupe
 Painted in Argent Silver
"Plymouth" Emblem on Drivers Side
 Rectangular grill inserts made of chrome plated plastic

Regular 'Cuda
 Painted in Argent Silver
 Red Stripe Plastic grill insert in center of grill

AAR 'Cuda
 Usually molded in Black ABS (as were the headlight bezels)
 Not painted
 Rectangular grill inserts made of chrome plated plastic

*ABS "Grey" was an industrial grade resin which contained post manufacturing recycled/re-grind material and often contained many shades of "dark" colors (because it was cheap). Due to this no two runs of grey plastic grills (or head light bezels) were the same color, they could be anything from tan, to grey, to a greenish hue.

**In the case of supply, there were certainly cases where black molded parts were painted silver argent and used on the various Barracuda/Cuda models, and while it's possible that some AAR's may have recieved a grey grill (which would have been painted Organosol black) I don't have any proof of this.

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006 - 07:35:19 PM »
Very good info! I had no idea that the M46 option gave you a black grille like the AAR....learn something new everyday.   :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline toomanyprojects

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006 - 10:44:02 PM »
it kinda bothers me that there people that really don't know what the h*** they are talking about but post their "i think" or "i believe" on the board?
it is so refreshing when people that know accurate info like triplets, Harm's and 1badfish clarifies things-
wrong or misinformation can really screw things up for the youngins' trying to get into this wonderful hobby-at fall fling this year i went with triplets and his uncle and heard alot of misinformation from youngsters that really shocked us-and when they found out they were involved with the cars first hand-they had nothing to say-especially when noted old timers in the business recognized them-
sorry about my senseless rant-but i had to vent-
just FYI-triplet's uncle worked at the LA Plant and his neighbor/ his was involved w/the distribution of the oringinal maxwedge cars to westcoast racers-when Mr. Chard passed away 2yrs ago-his garage was full of hard to find original parts and several cars(62 plymouth savoy, 63 dodge 330 and a 55/56 salmon and black sedan)that you would not believe-Bob Moser was close friends w/ Mr. Chard ended up w/the 62. He (triplets) was fortunate that Mr. Chard took a liking to him and taught him alot-as well as his uncle about mopar products. he (triplets) also has quite a few unmolested original cars that most of us would love to own-

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006 - 12:16:29 PM »
it kinda bothers me that there people that really don't know what the h*** they are talking about but post their "i think" or "i believe" on the board?

:iagree: I've posted corrections on some stuff, and don't post unless I know for sure what I'm talking about. There are a lot of good intentioned people here, but if the info is wrong it doesn't help anybody, and with some of the younger guys just getting into the hobby it could really cause them problems. If you're not sure about something don't make an 'I think or I believe' post just to up your post count. It clouds the issue at hand and doesn't benefit anyone.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

sleepychallenger

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006 - 01:00:38 PM »
I realize that some of the I think or I believe posts can be quite unbeleavable but some of us do have the correct information but are not 100% sure and that is where I use my I think posts. As always though, I always put CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, because I want to know the correct information. Dont beat down the folks that put the I think posts because to the best of their knowledge they are correct. when someone like triplets, harms, or hemi comes in and does give the great information that they do, by me anyway, it is greatly appreciated and i love to be corrected so that i know the right information. and BTW some of us that do post thoes posts dont even pay attention to the post count. i personally forgot that it was there.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006 - 01:20:43 PM »
I realize that some of the I think or I believe posts can be quite unbeleavable but some of us do have the correct information but are not 100% sure and that is where I use my I think posts. As always though, I always put CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, because I want to know the correct information. Dont beat down the folks that put the I think posts because to the best of their knowledge they are correct. when someone like triplets, harms, or hemi comes in and does give the great information that they do, by me anyway, it is greatly appreciated and i love to be corrected so that i know the right information. and BTW some of us that do post thoes posts dont even pay attention to the post count. i personally forgot that it was there.

:grinno: Not me!!! I know everything!!! :grinno:

:clueless:

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006 - 11:07:14 PM »
One thing that nobody touched on in this post is the color of argent to use.  I kept looking for light or dark to be qualify the color of argent but so far it's not in here and I've seen grilles painted both ways and often wondered what is right.  Could it be that the 'Cuda grille is dark and the other argent grilles as identified by Harms are light?  Can anybody give a definative answer to this?

Thanks