Author Topic: Oil & Water Pumps  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
Oil & Water Pumps
« on: December 29, 2006 - 05:30:54 AM »
I have been following many threads and gotten alot of good ideas, hoping that you can enlighten me on a couple of other questions?
Is there a prefered oil pump, that is, are some brands to be avoided. The same with water pumps, the engine will be a street driven mild hot up 360 engine.
What are your thoughts on Racer Brown cams? :clueless:
I know that TTI headers are cool and the ones to have , but are there any other headers that perform as well but not with the price tag ( I have run very low on the folding stuff and want to purchase as much as I can to bring back to Australia ). :money:
Dave

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Oil & Water Pumps
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006 - 08:10:59 AM »
In answer to your first two questions, I don't know of any brands to be avoided. Since this is a mild setup, I see no reason to change from the stock setup.

Racer Brown cams are good, I was just not sure they were still around anymore.

As for headers, the TTI's get top billing for fit usually. I have Hedman's on my car for about half the price. I know other people who have used Hooker headers.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006 - 08:50:27 AM »
Racer brown cams from 4secondsflat.com:

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Racer_Brown_Cam_Specs.html
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006 - 09:24:52 AM »
I ran a Racer-Brown cam in my '68 Hemi Runner and it was awesome.  Great sound and performance.....     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006 - 09:58:56 AM »
Use a Melling oil pump , others are not as good
 the water pumps are ok no matter who seems to make them but if you want 15 hp for free use a 6 blade not an 8 blade
 I have never used a RB cam , Don @ FBO swears by them but he is the only person that raves about them & when questioned about why they are good , he has n ver provided any proof  but just expects you to trust him , I have never seen a grind card with specs etc

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006 - 11:27:10 AM »
I agree with CP on the Melling oil pumps. I've got a Racer Brown cam in my 392, but I couldn't tell you how it runs because when I put the engine back together the carb had sat so long that it needs to be gone through and I haven't had the time to do it.

CP, if you want, I can post my cam card info here.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006 - 03:58:46 PM »
Thanks again, I was thinking about using Mellings oil pump but wanted to check first. In some aussie motors different parts suppliers use water pumps which are marginal, that is they have less vanes on them and are only good for quiet driving and no assessories on motor and the people wonder why their car overheats on warm to hot days.
I would like to use TTi but as I'm running low on folding stuff and the engine build is not that extreme a lesser set will possibly have to be used. I know that some sets are no better than standard manifolds so I am looking for input.
Thanks again, have great New Year, celebrate it well and enjoy yourselves. :cooldancing: :woohoo:
David
Dave

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006 - 05:54:52 PM »
David,

I think we all understand the lack of $$$ to do what we want.  :pullinghair: As for your header question, it will definitely give you a boost over the standard exhaust manifolds. It's up to you to decide if maybe 10-20 HP is worth it.
Another thing I will throw out to you is if you buy plain headers(cheap), you will have some heat under your hood. It might not be much with a small block, but the headers from my 440 when I first bought it, cooked me. I had a hot foot if I drove it an hour.  :stomp: I suggest ceramic coating to keep it cooler. Yes, that is what the TTI's have, but I bought my Hedman's from these people that do it right as far as coating goes. Maybe they ship worldwide.  :dunno:

jet-hot.com

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.