Author Topic: Chip Foose/Unique Challenger  (Read 7795 times)

Offline cudabuyer

Re: Chip Foose/Unique Challenger
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006 - 06:17:23 AM »
 :droolingbounce: over the engine compartment   :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006 - 07:26:46 AM »
The Unique Challenger is a sweet ride overall, but price too high.  Especially with the interior in such need of help. 

I would agree that Foose is certainly not a "dud".  His custom built cars are functioning works of art.  His previous work with Mopar's in Overhaulin' are excellent, but not perfect in every detail.  Of course, who's would be given only one week to design and execute the renovation.  His Sick Fish design/paint scheme was better than the outcome, IMO.

Here's some food for thought - Perhaps his failure to capture accolades from the Mopar faithful is because Mopar's originally came with the most outragious graphics and options.  I can't think of any GM/Ford cars that can top billboard graphics, mile high wings and long snouts, elephant motors and air grabber hoods for visual impact - except maybe a screamin' chicken 70's TA or an ultra-rare Boss Mustang with a SOHC motor. It's hard to take a Mopar more over-the-top than the factory did without becoming cartoonish.  Secondly, it's hard to find a larger group of purists for domestic's than in the Mopar camp, except maybe for Vette's.  We don't like people touchin' our stuff!
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006 - 12:10:47 PM »
I heard he was doing a run of 10 Challs like that
 I don`t mind the paint , I would choose different colors & it is different

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006 - 06:34:35 PM »
All he does is design the paint sheme and pick the wheels... not too damn hard to do!  And as far as the rest of the "engineering"  I doubt he has much to do with that.  How many of you think hes there hands on building these cars?  Its a name now and thats it.  He managed to make 2 challengers that were overhauled look pretty bad. :horse:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007 - 12:00:47 PM »
paint scheme sux ... might have worked better on a Cuda...
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007 - 10:21:03 AM »
Well he is building 75 of them and the first one is listed in the Jan. Barrett/Jackson auction in Scottsdale AZ.
Have to see what it is going to bring.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007 - 10:44:14 AM »
let us know.  BJ holds very little interest for me...its like a reality program for car people....which car will get voted off the island, and which will bring more money.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007 - 10:52:42 AM »
Not many people can afford that car and for $200,000 they may opt for a totally different car.  How many used Vipers will that buy???  For that amount of money the skies the limit.

It would be cool if he/Unique offered there services and could do component packages for Challengers that just wanted this or that.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007 - 11:32:28 AM »
for that price I would want a one-off ....would be happy with a couple of Vipers though

Offline Choppintime

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:48:40 PM »
for that price I would want a one-off ....would be happy with a couple of Vipers though

Damn, I'll take 1/2 of what Foose is asking and my Hemi has more kick  :burnout:. I'd say mine is close to a one off..........

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:54:03 PM »
Choppin',  I love your car!    :drool:  I would love to check that paint scheme in person...   :ylsuper:  It looks perfect on that car.  Well done!    :cheers:    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007 - 08:27:19 PM »
Wow, that looks to be straight ot of Car Craft circa 1982. I love it. Is that a vintage paint job or is that recent. It looks pretty darn good if it is vintage.

Offline Choppintime

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007 - 11:45:21 AM »
Wow, that looks to be straight ot of Car Craft circa 1982. I love it. Is that a vintage paint job or is that recent. It looks pretty darn good if it is vintage.

Go fish, car was bought off the original owner in 1977 by a guy in Connecticut. He took it off the road and took it apart the same year. Had it painted in early 80's and never finished the car. He passed away in 2001 or so I guess and the third owner bought it off of his wife. Third owner stuffed it in a barn in upstate NY and that is where I found and purchased it. The paint had horrible overspray over it. I think it actually helped save the paint. Friend of mine lightly sanded and buffed the car out for me. Paint is all House of Kolor stuff - nitrous cellulose. It is not perfect as there are a few small chips here and there but for the most part it's damn nice. I have been detailing the suspension and putting the car back together.

Close to thirty years of it taken apart left me without a bunch of stuff. Very close to getting it done. I installed the Hemi I had built by John Arruzza and I am waiting to have a Keisler installed. Also need the Dana gone through. Hope to have this colorful Cuda on the streets this spring and definitely at Carlisle this year.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007 - 02:13:40 PM »
Looking at the Foose car, and comparing to the XV offering, I'd rather go XV. And there's is base priced at (bargain apparently) $174000.00US. I say US dollars because XV's shops are in Canada. Only his showroom is inNY. I dont like the paint either, but if I was paying what he asked, he'd paint it whatever color I want. Period. I also dont really like the idea of a 4 link rear for a highway car. I also dont care for either car's ointerior. I like the stock plastic. But it's more expensive...lol. I dont like Foose's gages or surrounds either. There's enough on them that there's no way I'd pay that much for either. But, the clients they are shopping for is not a "Mopar guy" per se. But a person who likes the lines of the car or wants a limited edition anything.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007 - 03:08:51 PM »
Well if I had 200 grand laying around, I'd pay off most of my house before I bought ANY car (unless of course it was an "R" code ragtop Cuda that I could flip and then pay off the house)!  That said, for 200 grand, I'd want to choose the paint at least.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT