Rally Dash VIN plate

Author Topic: Rally Dash VIN plate  (Read 2558 times)

Offline 73EStroker

Rally Dash VIN plate
« on: December 30, 2006 - 12:08:52 PM »
 :canada: :nzflag:
Barry, I acquired a (I believe) 71 383 Rally dash complete from a High School project quite a few years back. Turns out this was still not the correct dash for the 383 car the High School sold to my friend. Now I want the guts for my 73 restomod to BB Challenger but if anyone could use this dash and VIN plate for an original restoration they might try emailing me offline. The reason I want the guages is that they have not been used for years and have been stored in a dry place so they stand the best chance of working for me. I have tested them already. All I have to do is lubricate them with 3 in 1 oil so that they move without binding.  
Now - if this is a wanted item I may be convinced to swap the entire dash with another in the same condition. Anyways all of this is dependant on someone wanting the dash and providing proof of their VIN matching the dash VIN. Is this viable and fair to the C-C members? My emails are kiwi@sunwave.net and kiwirv6@shaw.ca Reply to both as I am on holiday at the first one. If you email me offline we can figure out how to do this as I will not post the entire number and I don't expect a member to post their number to me. Chryco Psyco can provide a personal reference for me. My VIN tag on the dash reads JS23N1B43****
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Alaskan_TA

Re: Rally Dash VIN plate
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006 - 01:36:39 PM »
If the VIN tag is seperated from the dash it is then illegal to posses. Buying or selling one is illegal as well.  :2cents:

Barry

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006 - 01:42:22 PM »
So if the owner of the car with vin# JS23N1B43XXX wants his original dash back because someone took it out years ago they can't have it legally? How is it different from someone claiming their Broadcast sheet if they have proof they own the car with that vin #?  :dunno:  If the vin# is seperated from the dash I would assume it is a differnet story.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006 - 03:07:55 PM »
The key phrase is "seperated".

The VIN laws are only concerned with the VIN tag and the body numbers where applicable.

Barry

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006 - 07:56:29 PM »
Gotch'ya  :2thumbs:

I'm gonna get slammed for saying this here, but I remember me and my brother 13 & 15 years old, trying to rob the vin tag off a real 340 duster (junked) to put on my 340 "cloned" demon....lol. We thought, well they're both 70's and it has the H code, little did I know.....   :crazy:  Sounded like a good idea at the time.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006 - 01:37:33 PM »
So what I hear is - even though I have the dash pad/VIN plate all attached and never tampered with I cannot get this unit back to it's original car? What about when one buys a new pad from Just Dashes or the like? They have to separate the tag from the pad. How do they get around that legally. All I wanted to do was offer some possible restoration project their orginal dash. Surely having the original tag match the body plate and the numbers stamped into the fenders, radiator support, etc would satisfy the laws of the US.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006 - 01:57:20 PM »
If you let the guy have the whole pad with the VIN attached it is no big deal.

If the VIN is removed from the dash, the laws are pretty strict though.

Restorers do remove them and replace them on cars with new dash pads. State laws vary, some require that a LEO (Law enforcement officer) be present when the tag is swapped.

Connecticut is the only state currently that allows the VIN to be removed and re-attached for restoration purposes.

Barry

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006 - 05:04:41 PM »
I may get slammed here too but I really think thats splitting hairs as we all know that anyone who changes a dash pad removes the vin plate and very few have law enforcement present to do so.If you read the federal law it states tampering with the vin plate is illegal IF there is "intent to commit fraud",state laws vary.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006 - 05:07:14 PM »
If you let the guy have the whole pad with the VIN attached it is no big deal

So it would be legal to sell a whole dash with the vin attached?Not trying to be a jerk here just playing devils advocate.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006 - 05:13:12 PM »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006 - 05:32:50 PM »
I've bought 2 dashpads on E-Bay that still had the VIN's attached. I didn't think anything of it, and just pitched them(the tags). Oops, I wonder what I threw away.  :screwy:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.