Author Topic: Is it worth the effort to have car certified by Galen Govier?  (Read 12289 times)

Offline rallyechall

Is it worth the effort to have car certified by Galen Govier?
« on: January 03, 2007 - 07:58:19 AM »
OK, I know that a car Galen has documented brings more money than one that has not been documented. My question though hovers around the fact that while most of my car is original, the motor is not. This seems to be the only piece to the puzzle that is missing. All my numbers match down to the transmission. The motor is not the same year, but it is the same size. Is it worth having it documented since it is not 100% numbers matching?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Is it worth the effort to have car certified by Galen Govier?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 - 08:00:14 AM »
I don't think it adds that much to have Lord Galen certify a car.   :2cents:

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 - 08:04:23 AM »
You will see him at this years Barrett Jackson ride up in someones Cuda, last year it was Bill Goldburgs 70 383 Cuda vert.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007 - 08:49:17 AM »
His certification paper does look kinda cool with your other documentation, IMO. 

Me thinks it takes a while to get though, from what I've heard from others.  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:23:56 AM »
OK, I know that a car Galen has documented brings more money than one that has not been documented. My question though hovers around the fact that while most of my car is original, the motor is not. This seems to be the only piece to the puzzle that is missing. All my numbers match down to the transmission. The motor is not the same year, but it is the same size. Is it worth having it documented since it is not 100% numbers matching?

It really depends on  what you mean by "certified by GG."  If you are talking about having your documentation decoded and so forth, it's not worth it.  Just post your codes here and a bunch of different people will tell you how it decodes. 

If you are talking about having him physically inspect your car, then it really depends on what your car is.  For instance, it's not worth the THOUSANDS of dollars he charges to come and inspect your car if you own a 1973 Rallye Challenger but if you own a "V" code Cuda, it could make a big difference if you were to sell the car and it has "Lord Galen's blessing."
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:38:32 AM »
nope.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:50:12 AM »
That was more or less the answer I was looking for. I have decoded it, but I do not have all the nice things like the broadcast sheet etc. It is a 1972 Challenger Rallye. It is an original 340 car. I am putting it back to stock with this restoration. Is it personal preference to get this particular car documented, or is the model and package the driving force. I am only guessing that the folks that responded have not had their cars documented. That is Ok as I value all opinions that are posted. I would however like to hear from some others that have had their cars documented so I can get a good demographic to base my decision. The 72's were the last of the higher-perf Challys, it is a 340, and it is red. I would think it is worth the documentation. Another way to look at it is If you had two identical cars side by side for sale, and only one was documented by GG, which car would sell for more money? I think at auction the buyer does not have the time to trace the numbers to see if the car was legit, thus, the car that Galen documented is guaranteed to be what it says it is. It gives the buyer piece of mind.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007 - 10:43:54 AM »
If you're talking about the Galen Govier Registry, for $11 I say just go for it.  :thumbsup:

Cheap money and it looks cool.  ;)
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007 - 01:39:49 PM »
I may catch some flack for this one but here's my opinion.  I was recently with Galen when he did an AAR for my buddy. Galen does know what to look for and does give a person a nice "package" with history on the car.  With time and research a person could do this themselves.  We had the knowledge to do this to the AAR. Where we were lacking was resources.  The original fender tag was gone and we just don't have a list of tags that would help us place the car as far as dates to do a proper fender tag.  Barry has a lot of this information now and tried to help us.  For the things Barry does without charge he is to be commended.  So here we where with a numbers matching AAR that is in concourse condition with no tag. Was it worth paying Galen for the information?  Yes.  Would it be worthwhile on a 318 car or a nonperformance car?  No.  Will Galen certified help sell the car.  Maybe.  Will his information so the proper fender tag is on the car help sell it?  Definitely. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007 - 02:06:28 PM »
What are we talking about as far as $$$$ to have Galen come out to your house to personally go over your whole car?  :clueless:

Is that what we're talking about, rallyechall?  :dunno:

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007 - 03:14:47 PM »
If your numbers match, and you have a build sheet, fender tag, etc. Nothing else is needed. It's not worth it unless you have a high dollar car (hemi, vert, big-block) that is missing documentation. And it's still just his opinion, although  it is a highly regarded one.

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007 - 04:46:04 PM »
Yes Super Blue, I am talking about the works. I am missing the window sticker, build sheet, and all other paperwork that came with the car new. I have yet to contact the historical society to see if they can find the line card for it. That will help with the paperwork as I can get replacements. The build sheet I have is from a 318 Challenger of the same color close to my number. I understand that this may happen from time to time. Needless to say the original has yet to show up. When I see these cars for sale, they always mention Galen Govier documented. I think it is probably a wise thing to do if you want the most out of your vehicle.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007 - 06:25:39 PM »
Not to change the subject but...  My car didn't come with a fender tag. I have a build sheet. As far as I've found  Galen is the man to make a fender tag? I think it costs 160 bucks? Would it be a good idea to get one?
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007 - 06:29:48 PM »
Not to change the subject but...  My car didn't come with a fender tag. I have a build sheet. As far as I've found  Galen is the man to make a fender tag? I think it costs 160 bucks? Would it be a good idea to get one?

It really is up to you. You can try datatags.com

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.