Author Topic: Is it worth the effort to have car certified by Galen Govier?  (Read 12288 times)

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
Re: Is it worth the effort to have car certified by Galen Govier?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007 - 06:33:45 PM »
If you can do the layout use Datatags. They will do it for $50.  If you do not know how to do the layout or know someone who can do it; use Galen. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:02:21 PM »
I have yet to contact the historical society to see if they can find the line card for it.

Never heard of this any info??

I am having GG repo my fender tag for me bcause my original is pretty rough.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:18:48 PM »
Chrysler Historical does not have the IBM cards for any cars newer than 1967.

If you have a rusty tag but all the codes are evident, you can skip Galen's markup and head straight the data tags for a replacement.

If some of the codes are not readable, I will help you out if I can for free and you can still skip Galen and his markup.

Barry

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:23:46 PM »

If you have a rusty tag but all the codes are evident, you can skip Galen's markup and head straight the data tags for a replacement.

If some of the codes are not readable, I will help you out if I can for free and you can still skip Galen and his markup.

Barry

I'd like to take you up on that Barry!  I have a rusty one I'd like to get replaced and it is alittle tough to read!   Thanks! 

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:36:15 PM »
Take a clear close up photo of it from the front and one from the back and email them to me and I will see what I can do for you.  :wave:

Barry

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:43:43 PM »
Actually You already helped . . not to highjack this thread, here is the link.  What do I do now, send a copy to data tags??

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=22332.0

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:46:43 PM »

Barry

Wish I would have know that before I placed my order..  :eek7:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:48:51 PM »
I guess I did.  ;)

Let me lay it out for you in the format they like to see and then I will shoot you a PM.  :thumbsup:

Lunchbox, they will refund your money or just return your payment. (edit) I was referring to Chrysler Historical, not GTS. 
Barry
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007 - 10:00:08 PM by Alaskan_TA »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007 - 09:50:36 PM »
Thanks Barry!!   

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:24:29 AM »
If your numbers match, and you have a build sheet, fender tag, etc. Nothing else is needed. It's not worth it unless you have a high dollar car (hemi, vert, big-block) that is missing documentation. And it's still just his opinion, although  it is a highly regarded one.

:iagree:  Well, rallyechall, if we are talking about the works, I think I agree with jeryst that it may not be worth it since you don't have the documantation and it's not a high value car such as a Hemi this or that.  Actually the missing documentation may not be as big a deal as I had previously thought.

Unfortunately, the '72-'74 cars just don't have the same value as the '70-'71 cars.  No offense to your car.  It looks great from just looking at the avatar.  My car falls in the "less valuable" group also.  Makes it easier to drive on the road and not being as concerned if I get in a bad accident.  Is your car very original?  Are you going to sell the car eventually? 

In the end, it's your money and do what makes you happy.  I don't know how much it'll cost but I don't think it's $11.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007 - 10:10:47 AM »
For what I was referring to, I would have to contact him for pricing. I figured the year was not going to bring the kind of money that the 70 and 71s bring, and it may not be beneficial. The car is pretty much original with a few mods. I have 4.10s in the rear, but I still have original 3.23s, and the motor is a 71 340. Of course that has not stock. A few odds and ends have been replaced such as the exhaust tips. It is under total restoration at this time, and I am putting back as close to stock as I can.

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007 - 01:49:29 PM »
Hey 4Cruizin', see my post on the fendertag section...just got mine from A.G. Datatags and they blew it!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007 - 03:23:57 PM »

Galen is good, I'll give him that, but, I would never ever pay for his services. I've heard many horror stories about him, he's too "neat" for the average owner. He'll often take the money and not get back until months, sometimes years, later. He's someone who has lost the love of the hobby and skipped the true enthusiasts to fill his pockets & ego.

Barry (Alaskan T/A) can decode just as much as he can for nothing.  :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007 - 08:44:05 PM »
Well, I do charge for fender tag decoding, it is one of the few ways I have to generate revenue for the registries I run to keep them going. You can view my "services" and rates at this link;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/services-d.shtml

Barry

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007 - 07:08:41 PM »
I had A.G. Datatags  make my fender tags and I thought they did a great job. They even did the research on it. I just gave them the codes of the build sheet. Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard from a couple of people that A.G. Datatags  make Galens tags.