Author Topic: Which equipment should I buy?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Which equipment should I buy?
« on: January 03, 2007 - 10:22:12 PM »
I don't know how to cut or weld metal. but I want to learn. Since a lot of you guys do your own work, I was wondering what you would buy as your first piece of equipment. I can't afford professional grade equipment, but I would like to buy something that will alow me to cut and weld metal. Should I go with one piece of equipment that will do both, or should I get something for cutting and something for welding? What recommendations do you have? I know there is no substitute for experience, but I would like something with a shorter learning curve. I plan to just get a bunch of old sheetmetal and practice, practice, practice. I would like to take a course or two at the local trade school, but again, they offer different courses for different equipment, so I need to settle on the equipment before I can choose the courses. Most of the work I want to do is sheet metal like floors, quarters, etc. There seems to be a bewildering array of equipment out there (electric vs gas, stick, mig, tig, plasma, etc), and I'm just not sure where to start. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Which equipment should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 - 11:15:44 PM »
The coolest piece you can get is the plazma cutter but it's also the most expensive.  You could buy the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight tools to get started.
The Mig, plazma, bead roller and metal roller/cutter/bender for under $1500.
Not professional quality by any means but a good learning start.
Great for making those little pieces that rust out as well as some of the big ones.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 - 11:27:17 PM »
I would get a MIG. Good for sheet medal and all around use for the money. I personally would stay away from gas its hard to master compared to MIG for most people. For cutting, a torch could work (cheaper) but doesn't cut as nice as a plasma. Do you have a angle grinder? Then you could cut, grind and wire wheel things.  :2cents:

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 - 05:48:19 AM »
Take a look at Tip Tools on the web. They have every thing at good prices. I would look at a mid range mig welder. The plasma cutter is nice to have if you are going to fab heavy stuff but really unnecessary for body work. I have one but rarely use it in body work. A 3" cutoff tool gets worked to death with us. If you want a little higher line welder look a a Esab welder, we have a mig/tig combo welder that works great.
Dave

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007 - 08:31:27 AM »
WEll, I would believe that the first thing you need to do is set yourself a budget.LEts say $2500.00, Its difficult to decide what you want unless you take some time and research all the different possibilities. Welding, IMO a decent mig machine is far better that a cheapo throw away model. It's better to spend a few more dollars on something thats reliable and will give you years of good service than to buy an off the wall model that may or may not last you or give you the reliability you want. Therefor seriously look at a good 220v mig machine. Id recommend something like the Lincoln promig 175, Miller 185 or the Hobart 180. You should be able to get in here for around $800.00 You can get an idea of cost at your local Lowes or Home Depot, Welding/gas supply house and Ebay. Seriously its worth the money to go this route. If you have a business associate, friend or know someone that deals with your local welding supply house, ask them perhaps they can use there account to set you up with a machine at a lower cost than the "Joe" off the street, They can also help set you up with your argon/ CO2, acetylene and oxygen.
Cutting,,, you have alot of options here as well, You can get a medium grade oxy/cetelene setup at Lowes for around $350.00. Do you have air?  consider a cutoff wheel, air chisel. Decent medium duty ones can run less than a hundred dollars each, providing you have the air to run them, You can look at a 220v single stage compresor at H.D. for less than $500.00. It carries the "Husky" name but is made by Campbell Hausfield. Also, look at a decent sawzall. Id recomment the Milwaukee for around $150.00 So with the imaginary budget i set you you theres still some cash left over for extra wire,, 023 for sheetmetal,  clamps,, youll find you never have enough clamps, a few 10 packs of cutoff wheels and a cup of coffee from Sheetz :smilielol:  Hope this helps,, good luck and happy welding,
Doug
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007 - 12:57:02 AM »
Thanks for the good advice. I planned on getting something better than the cheapo stuff, but I'm just confused about the different types (mig, tig, etc), and what they are best used for.