Author Topic: Going home...  (Read 1568 times)

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
Going home...
« on: January 04, 2007 - 02:15:47 AM »
  A series of events is and has been going on that simply was not able to get past my fingers - that is, i couldn't find the right way to tell it. Please know these are just my own thoughts and opinions so are probably a bit biased.
  Some two years ago two very good friends each lost a close family member. alien joey, a member here, lost his father and my friend Eric lost his younger brother. I went to High School with Eric's older brother Jud (mannnny concerts and good times in my first Challenger) and their folks would always invite me up to their home 4th of July, Christmas, or New Year's. They were old school Southern and the meals were always home cooked.
  Anyways Jud, Eric, and Joey were glad to have a person to talk at during tough times. I would listen and if asked, tell them what i learned when someone as close to me passed. Have their affairs in order and over time you'll come to grieve in your own way. May take ten months or ten years, everyone in their own time and way.
  Fast forward to '06 when Jud and Eric lost their father in February. Eric is an attorney for the State of Alabama and so all legalities are well taken care of but as before i'm there for them no questions asked. In April i purchase a sweet original owner 67 Coronet R/T hoping to eventually sell it to Joey's friend Jerry who has a fondness for 66-67 B-bodies. In June Eric and Jud's mom passes away. In September Jerry purchases the the small auto body shop where Joey works and soon after that a couple of Jerry's 67 GTX's start showing up for minor work. Joey's been in the auto body business for the better part of thirty years and both he and Jerry are really happy with Mikey, their full time body man. Johnny who does most of the mechanical work for Jerry also joins the shop crew as well as Robert, a family friend of Joey's from way back who has done much work on Joey's Challengers in the past as well as most of the work on both my first '70 R/T and '70 A66 Challengers although Robert only works part time. Also about this time the first dispersement of inheritance is received by Jud and Eric. Eric tells me to take off Christmas week so that we can go to NYC with my way paid for including spending money :faint:. He's always wanted to go but until now simply did not have the funds to pull it off. Also Jud and his wife will arrive a couple of days later so we'll all have some time together. In October i sell the Coronet to Jerry in order to buy  another Challenger R/T but that didn't happen so i'm down to my one R/T SE that i've had since '94 and a fair lump of money. After Joey and Jerry have some conversations, Joey convinces me to give them my Challenger so they can restore it as both of them feel if i don't do this now i'll only find more projects and never finish this one. He's probably right. I didn't used to be onefornow, then twofornow on the forum for nothing, lol. In the middle of November my car went to the shop in line behind the Coronet that i sold Jerry (which is now freshly painted after being taken down to the metal). Two weeks later it was getting hard for me to think straight between work finally starting on my Challenger and getting to go home for the first time since '88 which is about when my last post was.
  On Christmas day Eric and i flew to NYC for 8 days/7 nights at the Hotel Wolcott 5th Ave and 31st St two blocks from the Empire State Bldg. Jud and his wife arrived to stay at The Carlton (not the Ritz-Carlton but still). Great time seeing the Museum Of Natural History, doing the Liberty Helicopter Tour, Circle Line boat tour, and seeing the musical Spamalot written by Eric Idle based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail. If you're any degree of Monty Python fan you won't be disappointed :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :rofl: Anyone who says you can't go home again is wrong - you just can't go home as well as back in time again. Only one store in my old neighborhood remains from when i grew up there but it was still good to go back.
  New Year's eve we went to the Marquee Club where i consumed 4 Screwdrivers and some Champagne in 1 1/2 hrs. Next day Eric and I had deli for lunch - which in turn gave me a twenty-four hour stomach virus - before flying back.
  That's pretty much it. I think i'll concentrate on Mopars now. Oh i did see my first Maybach in person :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Not a Mopar but still sweet :smokin:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007 - 02:23:23 AM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
Re: Going home...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 - 05:29:44 AM »
  Nice Pictures and I'm sorry for your frinds lost  and it good to see you back on line with us
   Welcome back

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 - 08:12:18 AM »
Thanks Hemi  :)  I didn't mean to ramble on, hope it made some kind of sense. Maybe i shouldn't post so early in the morning :bricks1:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 - 08:19:51 AM »
Made sense to me . . .glad you're back!   :bananasmi

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 - 08:31:06 AM »
Yo Russ, Sounds like quite an adventure, glad to have you back. Sorry for your friends loss.  Any progress to report on the Challey? Sounds like she's in really good hands. 
  :wave: Wade
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:27:56 AM »
Welcome back russ...   :cheers:   No more hide and seek with us....    :nono:      :roflsmiley:   :bigsmile:    :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 - 10:32:48 AM »
Welcome back   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline JCWCuda

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 - 12:37:43 PM »
Glad to see you enjoyed yourself while you were gone ,but it is good to have ya back

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007 - 01:31:13 PM »
Sounds like a Great time under not so good circumstances , I am glad you Chall is being worked on too
 :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007 - 01:36:51 PM »
It's good to have you back home.  I bet it was great to go home.  I went "home" (south Florida) a couple years ago and you can't even recognize the place! :grinno:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007 - 02:11:40 PM »
 :wave: Great to have you back rustyse,i also was wondering where you have been,this x-plains it. wlelcome back  :thumbsup:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007 - 03:42:54 PM »
 :2thumbs: Good to hear from ya Russ, you certainly have been missed buddy. Sorry about your friends loss, at least you were able to be with them and I'm sure help them through the tough time. Hey buddy, when can we expect to see some pics of your Chally? Ya know how we are here with pics.  :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007 - 08:22:22 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip, though the circumstances that lead to it were unfortunate...

At least the weather up here has been nice, didn't have to worry about the snow.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:07:09 PM »
It's all good my man!!  :2thumbs:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:54:34 PM »
Welcome back Russ.