Author Topic: Aftermarket Deck Lid  (Read 880 times)

Offline 70challengersix

Aftermarket Deck Lid
« on: January 04, 2007 - 08:38:42 PM »
When checking in with my bodyshop today on my 1970 challenger project I was advised that my trunk deck would be somewhat expensive to restore.  So I am considering going with an aftermarket repop to keep the cost down. 

Whats your experience with the fit and is there only one manufacturer of the deck?  Where is the best place to get one?

The reason I'm asking is because I tried one of these aftermarket decks on my 72 cuda a few years ago and was not too happy since it lifted up on one end.  I didnt feel that it was stiff enough and since this car had only one trunk spring it tended to load it up on one side.  I ended up just taking out the spring to get it to fit properly in the closed position.

Maybe the challengers are different - since they have dual trunk springs and the loading is more symmetric. 

Experiences good/bad???

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Aftermarket Deck Lid
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 - 08:47:11 PM »

I have a repro deck lid from Year One and I think I got lucky. They're made overseas (not in the USA) and are the usual junk. Taiwan or China, something like that. Fit was good though, no mods needed. Does make a little dull thud when you close it, other than that, not too shabby. If I were you, I'd look for a nice solid original.

:2cents: :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:30:53 PM »
the 71 was more problematic as Mopar deecided to only use 1 T bar in the trunk which seem to twist virtually every trunk lid

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007 - 06:34:55 AM »
The one thing I have noticed on the repop lid is the crimped seam is not spot welded to the inner srtucture. The skin flexes and moves. Once you have made fit without the torsion springs attached, simply spot weld the skin in place. I think these lids fit very nicely. Although it does not have the correct oppenings for the 70-71.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!