Twenty years and counting

Author Topic: Twenty years and counting  (Read 9392 times)

Offline skid440

Twenty years and counting
« on: January 05, 2007 - 02:49:53 PM »
Hello fellow E-Body friends,

So, I am very fortunate to still own my first car and that happens to be a 1970 Challenger which I bought from the original owner 23 years ago.  I’ve been ‘restoring’ it since the late 80’s off and on….mostly off.  Some of you can relate to marriage, kids, jobs…relative priority.

When I was 17, my dad wouldn’t let me buy something with a V-8 for the fuel economy, so I found this car through a friend for  $1,000.  It had a /six in it and it was fun to drive but I had V-8 envy from the beginning.  AlI wanted to do was put a big-block in it.  Now it has one.  Sometimes I wish I left the six in it but not that often.  Its funny but people who come over and look at it tell me I am doing a recreation, but there was no such word in 1984.  We just called it V-8 envy.  My best friend had a 66 Caprice with a 396 auto and man that was a fun car. 

It hasn't been fired yet but I am starting to get closer.   The engine has been in since '99 and yet to be fired.  It was a well optioned six with very little rust.  I drove it fot 3 years and had a minor fender bender and it ended up in a barn for a number of years.  Slowly I have been working on it.  You all know that going from a /6 ot a big block is not an easy task. 
The wife has been pressing me to either get it done or else…….So, I’ve been working on it more.  It needs the brakes and exhaust to be finished.  Then button up the top end.   I'll send mor pics later.   John

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
Re: Twenty years and counting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007 - 03:43:01 PM »
  Boy can I relate. After I blew the tranny in my cuda it got parked in the garage and life got in the way with kids-career- ect till 20 years went by. I dont recall what I was looking up on the net one day but I stumbled across Cuda-Challenger.com and this chance encounter got me all fired up to get the car going again.  Got the car fired up late summer of 2005 but not really running enough to go any where. Then last summer with new rubber-leaf springs-new poly front suspension  I was able to actually get out and go for a cruise.  Even tho my car looks rough and aint that pretty yet I put it in a couple of car shows and had a blast meeting other mopar nuts. Alot more to come this spring. You got to do a little at a time but when you finally pull it out of the garage and head down the street after such a long time I'm sure your going to have the biggest _ _ _ _eatin grin on your face   :woo:  Keep at it and enjoy it once again.      Doug

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007 - 04:14:47 PM »
LOL, your garage looks like mine does, full right to the rafters, you will be glad you kept your car when your crusin in it. :2thumbs:

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007 - 04:41:15 PM »
Keep at it and it will be done in no time. I would love to have had a Challenger for my first car slant 6 or V8.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007 - 05:29:03 PM »
You are lucky to still own it.  Alot of people here would give certain body parts to get back some of the cars they've owned!!  Yours is still looking pretty good!   :bigsmile:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007 - 05:41:23 PM »
 :2thumbs:   She's headed in the right direction.......  closer to complete...    :ylsuper:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007 - 07:59:20 PM »
Kinda looks like my garage as well!  Nice project, keep the pics coming.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007 - 11:27:11 PM »
Keep up the hard work.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Morris'_Mopars

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007 - 11:42:40 PM »
Cant rush a good thing. :bigsmile:
Morris' Mopars LLC
Raymond, Illinois
Mopar performance at affordable prices.

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007 - 08:46:10 AM »
I feel your pain.  I'm only 9 years behind on mine.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline skid440

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007 - 05:54:37 PM »
Wow, thanks for the encouragement.  Last night late I hooked the battery up for the first time in about 11 years and because I had the door open with the key in the ignition my first sound was the very unique and very mopar buzzer!!!  I even bumped the starter!!!  So, the good news, running lights work, radio (that is a story all by itself) and map light work.  No headlights, dome light, instrument cluster, or right turn signal.  Here is a before/after in the engine compartment.  First pic is circa 1994.

Offline skid440

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007 - 05:58:41 PM »
Here is an update

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007 - 06:17:57 PM »
Wow,the 6 grew two more cylinders, if I let mine sit that long will my 360 grow into a Hemi!  :crazy:
Nice transformation, better late than never! I didn't even get the car till I was almost 50, don't have 20 years to think about things anymore. Rich.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007 - 06:43:13 PM »
That'll be nice to cruise in.     Tell your wife that you're taking your time to do it right and if she gives you that "or else" line again, tell her that you'll be cruising with your new girlfriend in it.  :bigsmile:   

Be careful how you say it though or else you might end up with no wife and find out that she now owns your car and wants to sell it for $1000.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 1970hemicuda

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007 - 09:13:31 AM »
You're not alone, and kudos to ya for hanging on to your original ride!  Bought my 'cuda in '88 and drove it for just a few months when one of the freeze plugs developed a leak.  Knew that to do it right I should yank the motor and change all of 'em.  If I was going to yank the motor, I should do a rebuild to run on modern gas, ie: lower the compression and put in hardened valve seats.  Too much $$ for a young dad, so it sat ... until 2004!  Now I'm lovin' it and it's like a new ride to me! :2thumbs: