Author Topic: Twenty years and counting  (Read 9401 times)

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
Re: Twenty years and counting
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007 - 01:46:50 PM »
 :ylsuper: Very very nice ride skid440,once you get her done the wife won't lwet you sell it for anything.  :lol2:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007 - 06:15:36 PM »
You're not alone, and kudos to ya for hanging on to your original ride!  Bought my 'cuda in '88 and drove it for just a few months when one of the freeze plugs developed a leak.  Knew that to do it right I should yank the motor and change all of 'em.  If I was going to yank the motor, I should do a rebuild to run on modern gas, ie: lower the compression and put in hardened valve seats.  Too much $$ for a young dad, so it sat ... until 2004!  Now I'm lovin' it and it's like a new ride to me! :2thumbs:

Right there with ya!!

I bought my cuda in Oct 91.  drove it for a few weeks, and put it away for the winter.  Rebuilt the moter over the winter and spring, (high school auto class) and started the body and paint, took all sumer and finally drove for a few weeks that fall.  Spring of 93 I finally got to drive the car all summer. Man I drove it everywhere.

Well, that fall it was put away and has not been on the road since. Life just got in the way.

I have since got married and had a kid, and have one one more on the way.

My wife, has been great and has never insisted that I sell the car.  She has never even had a ride in it.

The car is now in my garage and I am finally working on it again.  I look forward to driving it this summer (hopefully)! But in the meantime I sure am enjoying working on it!!!

Keep at it man, you will enjoy the car when you finish it!!!
 :thumbsup:
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline skid440

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007 - 02:48:31 PM »
Wow! I can't believe its been since January since my last correspondence.  For me it seems like years.  Since then my wife of 15years and I are divorcing.  Its been very hard to put it mildly since we have two young boys (Mopar Fans).  If you read earlier, this is my first car and I've owned it since I was 17.  She originally valued it at 28 thousand but we have moved down since then.  Good or bad I have kept every receipt on this since day one so I had a very good accounting of all the money put into her since our marriage began in '92.  Anyways, the bottom line is I get to keep it.  I finally got a house and it has a great garage (Two-tandem).  I spent some time prepping and painting the floor and walls.  Here she is in her new house.  Once I get the parts all found from moving it is finally time to fire this thing up after so long.  I will post progress as it comes.

Also, I'm not bitter or anything but she always said she supported my time in the garage but during the dissolution, she was very bitter about it.   This whole thing has rattled me.   I am obviously not the only man with a car project that has taken a long time to complete.  She really trashed me for not finishing it by now but she just doesn't understand about restorations,  to me its alot about the journey as well as the finished product. 

I am so close here, I just  need to button up the top end and fire it up.   Wish me luck

John

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007 - 03:33:12 PM »
Sorry about all the personal problems. Women, go figure   :lol:  The car is looking good. Let us know if you need any advice on anything there.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007 - 04:00:19 PM »
Well I can certainly relate since I have owned my car since I was 17, and I'm 47 now, and it has pretty much sat in a barn since the early 80's.  I start the restoration a few years back, and probably have a few years to go.

Looking good.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007 - 06:55:11 PM »
Boy can I relate.  Family comes first.  Now that my wife and I are suppose to be empty nesters I'm suppose to be able to work on my car.  Those of us that have young adults know that we parents are looked upon as ATM machines.  Fellow parents can you feel me.  As for your car  keep at it. :2thumbs:

Here are two good ones.  First statement is from my daughter.  She made this statement after we just moved her out of her grad school apartment.

"Dad and mom I got a job in CA. can you help me move and can you lend me some money to get started out there"

"Honey our son doesn't have enough money for his rent and school books.  Also since his car needs new tires why don't we get him a set."

Quotes are from "Diary of a poor challeger owner",
Walt

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007 - 07:29:21 PM »
skidd, Nice to see you nearing your goal, though I'm saddened by your breakup, hope the car was not your main issue... We need to see that Challey running & driving soon as you get-er-done.  I'm just getting a good start, almost 2yrs now, on my 1st car from '75. Not a resto just a makeover and hope to have it street-able in the not too distant future. 
Wade/bullitt99
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007 - 01:15:58 PM »
Hey John,
Great car, and nice job on the resto!! :2thumbs: Sorry to hear about the split. My wife isn't too fond of my cars, but she knows it is my only outlet as I don't bar hop and don't have time much anymore for my other passions such as hunting, fishing or camping. So I burn rubber and smell like gas!!  :burnout: Hope the best for you and family!! keep us posted.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline skid440

Well I finally fired it up!!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007 - 04:51:14 PM »
Hey all,

On October 8th, a buddy of mine and I worked all day finishing up the top end of the 440 and we fired it up!  Man what a day that was.  We were able to run it in at ~1300 rpm for 20 minutes.  We had a shaky start because the 727 has sat for a number of years dry so we kept a close eye on fluid levels,  started with 6 qts of ATF.  Oh, we cranked it for 30 seconds and realized that my fuel pump fitting was not seated (flair fitting to pipe thread)  OOPs.  Lots of fuel on the ground.  Then the aftermarket trannycooler I installed leaked all over the place.  I need some advice on this....  Oh and I didn't torque the valve covers so oil leaked onto the tti headers in the rear and started a flame up.  Remember the fuel on the floor?  Well I avoided setting the car, garage, house on fire.  If you look at the earlier pic, she is on blocks and wouldn't have rolled out of the garage very easily.  Bottom line is the cam is ran in and the car is a runner.  I even put it in gear and the real wheels moved in the right direction!!!  Man this has been many years coming.  Lots more interior and other things left but she could be on the road as early as this weekend!

THANKS to all of you who gave me support on this web, especially after announcing my divorce.  You all are great and smart mopar heads.  I will post pics when I get a chance.  I only had time to snap a couple as we had some fires to put out.  John :woohoo:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007 - 06:05:07 PM »
John,

First time fire-ups are always scary, as you just know there might be leak city. It sound like these are all fixable though. Good luck with it.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007 - 06:31:06 PM »
Best luck to you and hope everything goes well... :thumbsup:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline LAA66

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007 - 06:53:03 PM »
 I know where you are coming from as far as the wife goes. In 87 I blew the motor in the Challenger so decided to repaint the car while the engine was out. She didn't like the fact that my spare time was going to be spent in the garage and not out having fun all the time.(her kinda fun)

Not long after it was a trip to the big D, and I don't mean Dallas. Looking back now, I think it was the best thing that could have happened. :wave:

Offline moparman11

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007 - 08:46:54 PM »
You are coming right along, hang in there, John
1973 RALLYE CHALLENGER

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007 - 02:42:05 PM »
Nice to see you still have your challenger alot of people get into money or family crunches and lose that ride.My husband has had his gto since 1988 since 10th grade and vows never to give it up.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline KoriAhola

• 1972 Dodge Challenger (OO/=====\OO)1968 Dodge Dart
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007 - 04:43:15 PM »
What great news that it's running!  I'd like to know how it feels to drive it after that long of sitting.  Just hearing the engine must have been hard to resist taking it down the block and back.
1972 Dodge Challenger
1968 Dodge Dart