Author Topic: Twenty years and counting  (Read 9400 times)

Offline pokey427

Re: Twenty years and counting
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007 - 08:11:17 AM »
First start up is a great feeling.  I restored an old corvette (before my mopar madness set in) and it took 8 years to complete.  As I pulled down my street on it's maiden voyage, I turned on the AM radio and it was playing "this magic moment".   Kind of fitting.   Keep up the hard work, your car looks terrific.

Offline skid440

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007 - 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks to all for your words of encouragement!!!

So, I'v only fired it in twice and while I am waiting on a new neutral safety switch harness, I am doing some finish work.  One thing I need is a quick measurement of how far the factory screw for the air cleaner housing should stick out.  See Pic.  The screw in there is off an Edelbrock  Avs and it  is "universal"  By the way the crinkle paint came out pretty well!  I'ts fun pulling all this stuff out and finally installing it!!!

John

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007 - 05:08:41 PM »
Nice work.  :thumbsup: The screw looks too tall from here. I would think a half inch or so would be enough for the washer and wing-nut.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline skid440

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007 - 02:30:42 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Hey do you know where the air-cleaner sticker (yellow/red "MOPAR") goes?  It looks like based on your picture you dont have the standard pie-tin under?  John

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007 - 05:28:46 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Hey do you know where the air-cleaner sticker (yellow/red "MOPAR") goes?  It looks like based on your picture you dont have the standard pie-tin under?  John

John,

I'm sorry I can't help you there, but you are right... I don't have the standard pie-tin.  :grinno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline skid440

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008 - 12:37:29 PM »

Hey guys,

I finally got it running and am working the last couple of bugs out of the engine.  I had a cracked valve cover at that leaked oil on those new tti header flanges.  Lots of smoke!!!  I welded it up and it still cracked when I torked it down.  So I finally wire brushed the outside and filled it with jb weld.  Its held so far!  I don't have any idea how long that will hold but it has through three warm-ups.  I've had it through the gears up on blocks now I am ready for a short road test!  Maybe this weekend!  Thanks guys for all your help.  John

Offline bananaskin

• Myspace
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008 - 02:18:21 PM »
Wow, just read this whole thread, great transformation, have fun with your ride out and dont forget the pics  ;D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger 440

Offline skid440

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008 - 12:49:20 PM »

The last few frustrating things.  My hood has been in the up position for a long time and when I closed it, I noticed it doesn't line up (see pic) It fit perfectly before.  The only thing I changed out is I took the latch mechanism and removed and painted it. Is it possible its put back wring?  There are two sets of holes at the mounting location on the core support.  The upper holes are threaded so I assume they were correct.  Anyone out there can help out?  Thanks Skid

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008 - 03:13:36 PM »
I'll start with the obvious, could the hood bumper be screwed out too far?
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline skid440

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008 - 04:55:25 PM »
The hood bumpers were adjusted correctly.  It fit perfectly before.  I did replace the black rubber bumpers with new but there is still room on both sides.  The hang up seems to be the latch not being low enough.  Were there two mounting locations for adjustment or different hood configurations? 

Offline skid440

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008 - 12:23:56 PM »
Hey Hey,  Its finally on the ground!!! What a great Fathers day.  Its been on jack stands so long my son said it felt like he grew 2 feet!  I've got insurance on it and all I think I need is to modify the timing a little.  The carb is not returning to idle speed (875) after bumping it to 2000 rpms.  It settles in at about 1400.  Mopar Ed says the cam (purple shaft .484) needs more advance than what I tuned it at.  I used the timing according to the yellow service manual.  That may explain it due to vaccum signal.  I'll keep you posted.  John

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008 - 12:45:22 AM »
 :woo: :woohoo:  :clapping:  Way to go!
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008 - 03:29:41 AM »
Hey Hey,  Its finally on the ground!!! What a great Fathers day.  Its been on jack stands so long my son said it felt like he grew 2 feet!  I've got insurance on it and all I think I need is to modify the timing a little.  The carb is not returning to idle speed (875) after bumping it to 2000 rpms.  It settles in at about 1400.  Mopar Ed says the cam (purple shaft .484) needs more advance than what I tuned it at.  I used the timing according to the yellow service manual.  That may explain it due to vaccum signal.  I'll keep you posted.  John
:wow: John,
This is the first time i have laid eyes on your car since i joined, sorry about that.  I really love it, can you tell me what the color is please...............is it FT6.................... I will go in to depth and have a look at the whole posting :woohoo: it is cool. :crazy:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008 - 03:39:58 AM by hemiken »
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008 - 06:50:32 AM »
 :clapping:   Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!     :clapping:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008 - 09:49:37 AM »
She's lookin mighty pretty.   Appears you solved the hood issue, what was the solution?
  As for the RPMS not coming down check for vacuum leaks & be sure nothing is binding the carb that could be holding it open........GREAT WORK  :2thumbs:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!