Author Topic: I got stiffed on a car...  (Read 2326 times)

Offline DAYTONA

Re: I got stiffed on a car...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007 - 09:57:24 PM »
...I agree, no deposit, no committment,  no deal....

weird story...

...I sold a 69 Daytona to a guy one time many years ago....after several days of questions and negotiations I got a verbal agreement on the phone...turned down other offers for more $$$....waited for the check, waited longer for the check....it never arrived....I called his house and he had died the same evening we finalized the sale, 36 years old and had a heart attack....

...I lost a sale, he was dead :angelwings:....no winner here

...(the same car was recently on EBay for $395,000K, BIN)

Offline Robb

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007 - 11:27:01 PM »

Rule of thumb when sellin a car....money talks and BS walks. Just the way it is. .

:iagree:

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Todd DesMarais

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007 - 11:49:07 PM »
 both are 8 hours away ??  Maybe he got you mixed up with you ?!

I too got STIFFED on a car. I bought and sent a healthy deposit (2/3) on a 73 340 4speed 'cuda shell. only to be told the day before I am to leave for pickup (23 hours one way), that now he didn't think the body was original, wanted more money, I took too long, etc. etc. etc......  he called the deal off and said he'd return my deposit. 2 1/2 years later he said he had no intention of ever giving back my money, so I filed against him.  It took another 4 months to recover MOST of my money. The worst part is that all I ever wanted was the car, not the money !!!   The story is quite a tale. Let's just say I have a little place in my heart for Ed Briggs of Louisville, CO  and I hope no one else gets duped by him !
74 'Cuda                       "There's a fine line
66 Belvedere II               between a hobby
66 Satellite                    and a mental illness"
05 Ram 3500 CTD

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007 - 07:52:14 AM »
  he called the deal off and said he'd return my deposit. 2 1/2 years later he said he had no intention of ever giving back my money, so I filed against him. 

Why in the world would you wait 2 1/2 years to get your money? You must have the patience of a Saint! I would have given him two weeks, which is more than enough time to write a check, put it in the mail, and get it to anywhere in the country. The longer you let someone keep the money, the more chance they will spend it, and not be able to come up with it to give it back. Remember that, everyone!

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007 - 08:04:08 PM »
 :banghead: this post reminds of the time i went to pick up a 68 charger r/t years ago,had it all worked out with the guy,cash in hand went with a buddy to pick it up 30 miles away when i lived in michigan,got to his driveway saw the car and also another guy handing  the owner some cash.i got out said whats up and he said he got here first after i told him i would be there in 30-40 minuets with the money,man was i po'd.was a sweet car and for what he wanted was a steel.thats one that got away for sure.this thread brought back that memory.  :pullinghair:  :roflsmiley:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Todd DesMarais

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007 - 11:02:13 PM »
Why in the world would you wait 2 1/2 years to get your money? You must have the patience of a Saint!

I used to have patience but my kids did away with that long ago !  As for why did I wait....well, I said it was quite a story. How long you got ?? 

He sent back $250 of my $1000 within a month or so and asked for me to give him a few more weeks for the rest due to an illness  :dunno:  then he stopped answering the phone and no e-mail replys. I figured he just blocked my e-mail addy 'cause I got a few from him (worm program viruses) so I knew I was in his "book".  Once a month for 1 1/2 years I would call his house and let it ring FOREVER, or until an answering machine would pick up. most of the time after a few minutes of ringing, someone would pick it up and just hang up so I would just call back until he took it off the hook. then one day his "daughter" answered and said he was out of town. I told her he had to call me or he would be going to jail.  :stirpot: Apparently THAT got him, cause the next time I called he wanted to talk. That's when he said he had no intention of sending the rest of the money back. I told him I was recording our conversation and suddenly the car was still there just waiting for me to pick it up. (after two years ??? yea right !) I said I'd be there that weekend but of course, he wouldn't be available for the next 5 weeks or so.  :blah: By that time there was this new thing called the internet fraud complaint center http://www.ifccfbi.gov/ . let's just say they got a very detailed letter from me. shortly after, the local PD got involved and the detective "moderated" the return of most of my money. 

Todd

another link to try is http://www.ic3.gov/  as I couldn't get the other one to open ???
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007 - 11:04:23 PM by Todd DesMarais »
74 'Cuda                       "There's a fine line
66 Belvedere II               between a hobby
66 Satellite                    and a mental illness"
05 Ram 3500 CTD