Author Topic: I got stiffed on a car...  (Read 2328 times)

Offline vert

• Looking good, Billy Ray! Feeling good, Louis!
I got stiffed on a car...
« on: January 05, 2007 - 09:16:50 PM »
I've been working on a deal for a 71 SE with 440 since Dec 19.  Talking with the seller, asking for VIN and fender numbers, engine and trans numbers, answering questions, asking questions, asking for pictures, etc. He sent me fender tag stuff and link to more pictures yesterday. 2 weeks 3 days to get the fender tag info, still no engine serial tho.   Told the guy I'd drive 8hrs to see/buy it for his price this weekend.  He told me this morning he had a guy driving 8 hrs to see it, leaving today, getting it tomorrow.  If he doesn't get it, then I still have a shot.  Why wouldn't he tell the guy I had dibs?  I can't trust him now....  This is the car.

71 Barracuda | Hemi idling | Hemi Dyno pull

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: I got stiffed on a car...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007 - 09:26:51 PM »
That really sucks.  Some people . . . .  :screwy:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007 - 09:28:14 PM »
Bummer for sure.....    :walkaway:     It could still work out for ya....     :thumbsup:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline carcrazyguy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007 - 09:34:01 PM »
I've been working on a deal for a 71 SE with 440 since Dec 19.  Talking with the seller, asking for VIN and fender numbers, engine and trans numbers, answering questions, asking questions, asking for pictures, etc. He sent me fender tag stuff and link to more pictures yesterday. 2 weeks 3 days to get the fender tag info, still no engine serial tho.   Told the guy I'd drive 8hrs to see/buy it for his price this weekend.  He told me this morning he had a guy driving 8 hrs to see it, leaving today, getting it tomorrow.  If he doesn't get it, then I still have a shot.  Why wouldn't he tell the guy I had dibs?  I can't trust him now....  This is the car.

he might have been in hopes that you would "up the offer" if you thought someone else was interested?? :dunno:  Also if he got a few quick responses he may think he listed the car to cheap and is in hopes to create somewhat of a "bidding war". 
Just hang in there and keep in mind...if this doesn't work out there will be another come around.  It may not be today or tomorrow, but there will be something that comes up sooner or later that you will like better/more.  :2thumbs:   

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007 - 10:58:54 PM »
Maybe he isn't concerned with who gets the car but more concerned that it gets sold as soon as possible. I've sold cars where one guy really wanted it but somebody else was closer to sealing a deal. I always tell potential buyers of the other parties involved and that the first to produce the money gets the ride, they always have agreed that if somebody else gets there first it's theirs. Some have sent a small deposit for me to hold. Unless of course it is a friend or I want one person in particular to have it.
I sold a 70 r/t shell to a guy because I knew he would build it back right, others I just want that money, maybe this guy does too. Early bird gets the worm.
I've been working on a deal for a 71 SE with 440 since Dec 19.  Talking with the seller, asking for VIN and fender numbers, engine and trans numbers, answering questions, asking questions, asking for pictures, etc.

Maybe the other guy wasn't too concerned about requesting alot of stuff to make a deal. I would want to find out if it was legit too but the other guy might have been willing to just buy the car with no questions of originality or authenticity and to be Johnny on the spot to boot. That would've made for a way easier sale for the seller.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007 - 11:26:29 PM »
the Car LOOKS nice

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007 - 11:57:32 PM »
I'd put the ball back in his court, Tell him to let you know when he's ready to sell. Stay cool.  :smokin:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007 - 12:40:55 AM »
Maybe the other guy just said he would come see it before you did. It doesn't matter how many questions you ask or how much time you spend on the phone. If the other guy agreed to come look at it before you did. he gets first shot. Not trying to be a hardass, but I've sold cars before, and that's just the way it goes. That's no reason for you to say   that you "Don't trust him" now. He could have easily not told you about the other guy, and let you drive the 8 hours only to find that the car was gone. Been there before, and that sucks big time!

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007 - 09:01:06 AM »
I'd put the ball back in his court, Tell him to let you know when he's ready to sell. Stay cool.  :smokin:

:iagree: Play it cool and dont let on to him that you are THAT interested....tell him that you have another to look at as well as his and will make a decision upon inspection of BOTH....Its a gamble, but it could work out for your benefit.
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007 - 02:35:26 PM »
I agree with Go-Fish,
The guy may not be a jerk, but just looking out for his own best interest and in all fairness offering the car to the first one with the money unless there was a prior agreement made or deposit secured. I once actually gave a guy a deposit on a 1968 customized Dodge pickup and even got a receipt for it. I had even gone and secured a loan to buy the truck. That's why I was only able to give a deposit. It was to secure the truck until I got the rest of the money from the seller. The deposit was $500.00 bucks & he knew I had all intentions of paying the full amount the next day. This jerk had a friend offer him more than the advertised selling price and sold it out from under me, even though we had an agreement, he had my  money and had even given me a receipt indicating it was a down payment on the truck. I came back the next day & he told me the truck was sold and gave me my deposit back. I could have strangled this guy and he knew legally he was wrong. I could have dragged the guy into court, but would have rather dragged him behind the wood shed if you know what I mean. I told him what I thought of him & that we had a legal binding agreement. I didn't want to take the time to drag this guy into court & it would have been ugly, so I just let it go!! Some people are just jerks and only care about the money! I do hope things work out where you can get a sweet ride for that perfect deal!! There's one waiting just for yooo!!
                                                             Matt B.
Matt

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007 - 02:57:53 PM »
The other guy might have blown smoke up his butt about brining cash on the spot. I'd set tight

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007 - 05:36:30 PM »

To be fair, I think the seller is quite in his right to do what he did. First in, first served. Perhaps the "other" guy had been talking to the guy a week before you? When selling whoever's keen enough will get the car. I'm sure the seller hasn't got time to wait around. If he did wait for you and you didn't want it he may have lost out on a sale from the other guy. Basically - You snooze, you lose. 

Hopefully the other guy doesn't buy the car and you get your chance. :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007 - 07:26:12 PM »
"If he did wait for you and you didn't want it he may have lost out on a sale from the other guy."

NZ's exactly right. You didn't indicate that you WERE going to buy the car. You were just being an interested POTENTIAL buyer.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007 - 09:31:30 PM »
Not to be piling on here, but I've sold lots of cars, and if I had a nickle for everytime someone told me they were going to buy a certain car i had for sale, then never showed up with the cash, I could buy a hemicuda.(at least a clone!)

Rule of thumb when sellin a car....money talks and BS walks. Just the way it is. Until you pony up the cash with a deposit, the car is fair game to anybody. Now if i make a verbal commitment to someone to hold a car for them, I'm a man of my word.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007 - 09:39:09 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me and when the car did not sell I went over and gave the guy a deposit and bougth the car. I now this happens all the time and I have missed out on many cars thinking the guy sold them last week when the guy came and never even bought the car. Wait and see what happens as the car may still be for sale and you may end up buying it yet.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4