Author Topic: Challenger trunk floor?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
Challenger trunk floor?
« on: January 08, 2007 - 03:20:36 PM »
I've been trying to fit my two piece trunk floor that I bought in place.
With a bit of tweaking, I was able to get the passenger side to fit to the piont that I was happy with  :swaying:
Then I check to see the drivers side off about 3/4 of an inch  :swear:
With the modifications that I would have to make to the center of the pans, I am opting for the one piece.
Have any of you had any experience with the one piece?
Good?
Bad?
Also if anyone has bought the one piece trunk for a Chally from Goodmark, could you please get me the dimensions in between the two red arrows?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated  :thumbsup:
Thanks  :2thumbs:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline farmboy70

Re: Challenger trunk floor?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007 - 07:41:44 PM »
I have a post on the new trunk pan for a Cuda on page three.Of check the "package deal cuda" in the restoration section if you like.
I could measure the area you need if you like.
The pan fit like a glove on my car.
Dave

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007 - 09:00:01 PM »
I have a post on the new trunk pan for a Cuda on page three.Of check the "package deal cuda" in the restoration section if you like.
I could measure the area you need if you like.
The pan fit like a glove on my car.
Dave
Thanks Dave, Yes I remember your topic on page 3, as I did respond to it.
I've been .......away for a while, and got some catching up to do.
I'll head over to the restoration posts, and check yours out  :thumbsup:
I honestly do not know the difference in the Cuda, and Challenger dimensions on the trunk, but if you could take a measurement for curiosity sake, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks again Dave  :cheers:
                                                                                    Jeff

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007 - 09:59:30 PM »
I don't have any experience w/ the one-piece but I've done a challenger and a cuda trunk with two-piece floors, and both times had to cut about 1/4 to 3/8 inch off around the wheel wells  and also had to do something on the sides by the extensions to make them fit.  They seem to be a little wide.  I'm 99% sure you have to take the rear panel off to get the one-piece in.  We did have our's off but either we didn't know about one-piece floors or they weren't available.  Either way, I think if you keep tweaking you'll get decent results.  If you're MIG welding the floor to the frame rails while underneath, have someone pushing the floor down against the rails with a hammer handle or like (because the floor doesn't sit flat down).  Also we used a little bondo on the center seam and around the wheel wells to clean it up a little.  Good luck.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007 - 05:27:15 AM »
I honestly do not know the difference in the Cuda, and Challenger dimensions on the trunk, but if you could take a measurement for curiosity sake, I'd appreciate it.
                                                                                    Jeff

I'll get it for you today, I think the floors are the same panel with the gas fill stamp in a different location depending on which car it is for.
Dave

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007 - 08:23:27 AM »
Do the two piece floors have to have the holes drilled in them?  I know that the one piece now comes with the holes, but was wondering if I had to drill all the correct holes, and that I should measure the ones in my trunk now so I get it right.   :dunno:

I plan on getting a two piece because I dont want to take out the tail panel.  Farmboy, you still got that 2 piece?  Pm me if you want to get rid of it.   :thumbsup:

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007 - 03:52:15 PM »
Do the two piece floors have to have the holes drilled in them?  I know that the one piece now comes with the holes, but was wondering if I had to drill all the correct holes, and that I should measure the ones in my trunk now so I get it right.   :dunno:

I plan on getting a two piece because I dont want to take out the tail panel.  Farmboy, you still got that 2 piece?  Pm me if you want to get rid of it.   :thumbsup:
No, they do not come with any holes in them, (see pic)
Yep, definitely make sure you hold on to your old trunk for the measurements  :thumbsup:
I don't have any experience w/ the one-piece but I've done a challenger and a cuda trunk with two-piece floors, and both times had to cut about 1/4 to 3/8 inch off around the wheel wells  and also had to do something on the sides by the extensions to make them fit.  They seem to be a little wide.  I'm 99% sure you have to take the rear panel off to get the one-piece in.  We did have our's off but either we didn't know about one-piece floors or they weren't available.  Either way, I think if you keep tweaking you'll get decent results.  If you're MIG welding the floor to the frame rails while underneath, have someone pushing the floor down against the rails with a hammer handle or like (because the floor doesn't sit flat down).  Also we used a little bondo on the center seam and around the wheel wells to clean it up a little.  Good luck.
Many thank FY1, yours came out amazing  :clapping:
I think the difference is, you know what your doing  :thumbsup: ............as for me  :clueless:

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007 - 04:22:28 PM »
                                                                                    Jeff

I was out of the area most of today and will get it for you tomorrow.
 sorry
Dave

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007 - 03:49:12 PM »
I came up with 45 1/2 at the location of your arrows. This was on my Cuda which may or may not help you out.
Dave

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007 - 04:54:47 PM »
I had the same thing as you with the newpanels being slightly wider,, but,, i just reworked the edges to get them to fit in between the wells... hammers dollies and a hand brake and an hour or so of trial and error fitting in and out  mark,, shrink and stretch  hammer hammers cut grind in mark out hammer bend,, cuss,, cuss a little more in, mark measure out hammer shrink, bend cuss a little more,,, once i got it to fit the way i liked it I made a press to hold them down tight on the rails and welded them in.... good enough for me :2thumbs: :blah:  its a good saturday job
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007 - 06:24:12 PM »
Many thanks Dave  :2thumbs:
Yes that does help me.
Appreciate you taking the time to help me out  :cheers:

I had the same thing as you with the newpanels being slightly wider,, but,, i just reworked the edges to get them to fit in between the wells... hammers dollies and a hand brake and an hour or so of trial and error fitting in and out  mark,, shrink and stretch  hammer hammers cut grind in mark out hammer bend,, cuss,, cuss a little more in, mark measure out hammer shrink, bend cuss a little more,,, once i got it to fit the way i liked it I made a press to hold them down tight on the rails and welded them in.... good enough for me :2thumbs: :blah:  its a good saturday job
:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
You are apparently a very patient man  :grinno: :rofl:
Thanks for the play by play  :smilielol:

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007 - 11:38:39 PM »
If you go one piece let me know I need a trunk floor for mine, I'll make it fit somehow :grinyes:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007 - 07:42:53 AM »
If you go one piece let me know I need a trunk floor for mine, I'll make it fit somehow :grinyes:
Will do  :thumbsup:
I plan on ordering the full trunk floor, full quarter panel, and trunk gutter within the next day, or two.
I'll keep ya informed  :grinyes:

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007 - 11:58:30 AM »
Good deal, my car is pretty rough and already had to patch the under seat floor pan area, so even if that 2 piece is off some, I can modify things some. 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007 - 09:39:52 AM »
Also we used a little bondo on the center seam and around the wheel wells to clean it up a little.  Good luck.

I did the same with my 2 piece floors in my challenger, really turned out nice.
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project