Author Topic: 72 -74 Challenger grille options  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
72 -74 Challenger grille options
« on: January 09, 2007 - 09:38:49 AM »
I have seen a couple of atermarket grilles installed in these cars and was just wondering if anyone knew if they are available or if they were custom made.  I like the stock unit, just looking around for what else might be out there.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: 72 -74 Challenger grille options
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007 - 12:51:10 PM »
 :clueless:  What do the aftermarket grills look like?  I've never seen any.  :dunno:

Any pics you can share?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007 - 01:18:27 PM »
I have seen home made stuff but no after market ones...
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007 - 02:50:58 PM »
I would actually like to see some aftermarket grills made. I don't know of any though. Sorry.  :walkaway:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007 - 03:09:21 PM »
Just cuda grills . . .  :dunno:

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007 - 06:04:05 AM »
Just a thought- I know some of you might get bent outta shape. Others might be intrigued. Maybe I should be banished for thinking it.

< http://www.ramairhood.com/images/ram_air_hoods/dodge/charger/dodge_charger.jpg >

dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Hopalong

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007 - 09:21:00 PM »
I like those hoods on those Chargers.  Looks mean.  I guess what I'm thinking of is a billet (I hate that word) aluminum type grille.  I saw one on a car listed on ebay once that was made of aluminum bars, but the spacing was really tight. 
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Hopalong

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007 - 09:26:25 PM »
See if this picture will work.  It's in the E-body Pic's section under a request for pic's for g machine cars.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline DMZ73

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007 - 08:07:36 AM »
Hopalong,

That's pretty cool. I think because the 72-74 header panel is made of F/G  we have a few more options for-gulp, dare I say it, modifications.....

I think it's cool. I will be the guy trying something different. I was hoping to get some reaction out of this post for those of us with 72-4.

Do you know anything about the manufacturer of those grilles?

Dan

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007 - 12:49:50 PM »
I wonder if you can get a billet grill from a pickup/generic piece and cut it to fit?  :clueless:

It does look cool!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Hopalong

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007 - 03:34:50 PM »
That car was on ebay when I first saw it.  I emailed the seller about the grille but never got an answer.  I think that it has to be a one off / custom made piece.  I think it's neat.  The other idea I had came from a big rig actually.  I don't remember the make, but I have seen some grilles on the front of semi trucks that look like a tight X patern made from what looks like stainless.  I thought that would be neat if it where cut and formed to fit in the opening of a Challenger.  I have not really looked into it though.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline DMZ73

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007 - 04:15:06 PM »
I am tired of seeing the same old stuff. There has to be more. I like the other textures too. I have access to some cool technology, so if I have an opportunity, I may scan in the grille, or get some measurements to make a good  model of something other than what limited choices we have.

It just gives us options. I am not into clones, just tasteful customs. I can't wait for Pandora's box to open on this one.

dan

Offline asm74

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007 - 04:35:08 PM »
Are you interested in just the plastic grille or the whole fiberglas header panel?  I've gone through 2 header panels on my resto, 1 damaged on removal, 1 damaged in shipping and the third is holding together but looks nowhere near as clean as the above.  I'm hoping my body guys can get it at least looking solid.  Its realy a flimsy peice, I would love to see it stamped out of sheet aluminum or something.  I had started sketching ideas for a 4 headlight challenger grille halfway between the new challenger and the 71, but to the measurements of a 72-74.  What I really hate about the f/g hearer panel are the integrated forward fender mouldings.  I really what to get chrome there....

73 Challenger

Offline Hopalong

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007 - 07:21:41 PM »
You might check out GoodysgotaCuda 's dad's car that was on Overhaulin'.  They did the fender eybrows and hood trim in silver and it looks pretty good.  The biggest thing to me is that we are working with 30+ year old parts.  I wish some one was making repops of the whole header piece.  New fiberglass would be a whole lot stronger and the weak area's could be beefed up.  I thought it would be neat to try to make a mold to make new ones, but it sounds like(from the people I've talked to anyway) that you pretty much destroy the original making the mold.  That would be o.k. if the new one worked out perfectly, but if it didn't.........  A new header in luminum would be cool, but it would almost have to be cast, and therefore either strong but heavy, or light but weak.  That and how would you repair it if it were to get damaged?  My dad has a smelter (he used to own/run a recycling business) and we tried pouring some custom pieces, but it was not easy and not really worth the time (at that time anyway).  I like the idea though.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007 - 07:38:41 PM »
 I like the look of that custom grill on the 72-74's I may have to try and make one when I'm bored just to see if I like it on my car.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)