Author Topic: Offered body work from cousin?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
Offered body work from cousin?
« on: January 10, 2007 - 01:12:54 PM »
My cousin was down here in st paul over the weekend,checked out my chally,and asked me if i would be interested in finishing the body and paint in his shop in michigan around mid april.he was on his way to work for a guy in arizona which customizes hot rods.now i have seen alot of his work in pics and it looks like he does one heck of a job.problem is i would have to put it on a flat bed and haul it 350 miles to his shop.he has built a terrific shop in michigan with paint booth hoist's front end racks tire balancing machine you name it.the way i'm gong at it now it could be another year before i get it on the road.this sounds pretty good to me,what do you guys and gals think?  :dunno:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Offered body work from cousin?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007 - 01:16:38 PM »
You got the money, he's got the time. Go for it!  :smokin:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007 - 01:19:07 PM »
I would go for it...350 miles is not THAT far... what 4hours +/-?

I am sure the price will be decent...heck yeah...if the work was free you might have one of those 18 month projects...that would be my worry...other than working with family.
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007 - 01:21:21 PM »
If he does good work, you trust him with your car, and you both agree to a fair price, then by all means let him help you out....    :ylsuper:   :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007 - 03:03:01 PM »
You didn't mention what he would charge you, but I would surely think about taking him up on the offer.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007 - 08:27:53 PM »
mek.we didn't discuss the price,all he said was for me to take of two weeks of vacation from work go up there and said we could get er done in two weeks max,i'm just talking body prep and paint,i'll put it back toghter from there after i get it back home.talk to the wife tonight at supper tonight and said go for it if i want.the money thing i know we can work on cause as the saying goes,were sorta two same peas in the pod type of guys,fairly close and would be working side by side.went up there during the summer and had my brakes going out,gave him a call and said bring er over "my intrepid" did all the work other than turning the rotors and had a good time.same time he was rebuilding a blown jet sky engine later that night and i helped him put the engine back togther and got that running also.next day out on the lake for some fun.we'll work on the cash thing before i decide from here.i'll make an offer and it should go like bring money for supplies and parts and paint and we'll figure it out.probably going to take him up on it.  :2thumbs:
71 Challenger 340 a/t

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007 - 11:36:25 PM »
I'm in PA and the car I'm doing for a guy came all the way from CA!   :roflsmiley:  But I work cheap :thumbsup:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007 - 05:51:17 AM »
mek.we didn't discuss the price,all he said was for me to take of two weeks of vacation from work go up there and said we could get er done in two weeks max,i'm just talking body prep and paint,i'll put it back toghter from there after i get it back home.talk to the wife tonight at supper tonight and said go for it if i want.the money thing i know we can work on cause as the saying goes,were sorta two same peas in the pod type of guys,fairly close and would be working side by side.went up there during the summer and had my brakes going out,gave him a call and said bring er over "my intrepid" did all the work other than turning the rotors and had a good time.same time he was rebuilding a blown jet sky engine later that night and i helped him put the engine back togther and got that running also.next day out on the lake for some fun.we'll work on the cash thing before i decide from here.i'll make an offer and it should go like bring money for supplies and parts and paint and we'll figure it out.probably going to take him up on it.  :2thumbs:

To avoid that possible problem...ask about the cost now...sounds like two guys having fun, but still best to ask and be safe...
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007 - 06:43:08 AM »
To avoid that possible problem...ask about the cost now...sounds like two guys having fun, but still best to ask and be safe...

I agree. Ask about the money now and avoid any possible mis-understanding in the future. No matter how close you are money has a way of splitting even the closest hairs.
If you can come togeather with a price i say go for it. 350 miles is around the corner.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007 - 08:20:44 AM »
 :thumbsup: Thanks guys for the advise,yup it would be wise to get something in writing even though he's my cousin,better safe than sorry.  :2thumbs:
71 Challenger 340 a/t