Author Topic: Anyone know this movie "Drive"? Challenger on cover.  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Anyone know this movie "Drive"? Challenger on cover.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007 - 05:40:37 PM »
I've never heard of "Drive", but I've been wondering if anyone ever watched "Natural Born Killers"...There's a Panther Pink Challenger R/T on the cover and it's in the cheap bin at Wal-Mart, so I've been tempted to purchase it. :dunno:

I have tried to watch NBK a few times & I never fall asleep during movies But I have yet to stay awake long enough to see the chall , if it is cheap grab 2 copies & send me 1 , I will pay you for it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007 - 07:05:30 PM »
I'll see how many copies they have the next time I'm in town, Neil. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007 - 07:12:58 PM »
Thanks Mark

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007 - 08:49:59 AM »
would be interesting to see...if for nothing but the Challenger!
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007 - 05:56:30 AM »
when the car is being towed at a rather high rate of speed...I believe I saw 72-4 side markers on the front fenders only...in atleast one shot.

Here's some info I posted a while ago about that Challenger.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=13802.15

The original "Gone in 60 Seconds"

This is info I posted from a prevous post regarding the Challenger in the beginning of the movie that the guy buys from an auction smashed and then they steal an identical car, switch the VIN and other items, then turn it into a running, driving car.

INTERESTING FACT: (Maybe not to some  )

The car in the beginning in the insurance scam:  What year is it?  Here's what I dug up.

In the movie, the guy who buys the car states to the towtruck driver that it's a '73.  But it has no 5mph bumperettes but has the '73 grill.

Through the miracle of modern technology (ha, ha)  , I used the pause button to get some interesting facts:

-The side marker lights are from a '70-'71 Challenger.
-The car being stripped that has been damaged :  has a big block engine (N/A in '73), distributor in the front.
-the manufacture date from the sticker on the side of the drivers door shows a manufature year as "1969", not sure of the month.
VIN#=JS23U0E114291.  Plug it into your VIN decoder.  You get 1970 Dodge Challenger, Special-R/T, 440 375hp 4BBL made in LA  Nice car!!!!

The car they stole to replace it:
-VIN#=JH23L0E142751.  Which comes out to 1970 Dodge Challenger, High Price Class, 383 290hp 2BBL made in LA

Also you see on the guys checklist that there's a 383 Magnum (also N/A in '73), drum brakes.  At this point the car DOES have the 5mph bumperettes.  Also the interior is of 1970 stuff, ie steering wheel, seats, etc.....

This was a peeve of mine when I noticed it.  I guess they wanted to make a '70 into a'73 to make it look new and updated. 

Oddly in some of the shots of when the Challenger is on a tow truck getting chased, the rear tail panel looks correct.  (If I remember correctly)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007 - 08:12:25 AM »
Ok, here's the deal....

I didn't have much time so I quickly fast forwarded through the movie and didn't see any magnificent race scenes or Challenger jumping through fire as the DVD cover depicts.  In fact, I don't even know why it's called "Drive" since it's more of a martial arts film.

The martial arts was very good, not sure if they sped up the motion or if just that the action was real fast.   :dunno:

The car: 

It looks like a red '72 Challenger with a '70 nose slapped on it.  The rear tail panel is clearly '72-'74 style, no bumperettes on bumpers, front is a '70, front side markers are chrome '70-'71 style.  Rear sidemarkers are hard to make out but look like '72-'74 style.  Rallye hood, dual chrome exhaust tips, red car with slotted mags that should've been bigger with fat tires, IMO.  Would've made the car look much meaner.  T/A style spoiler painted body color.  Cheapo front fuzzy front seat covers, no covers on rear seats and look like factory seat covers.  Car smashed parked cars near beginning and not fixed through out movie.

Over all, if you want to get it for the car, eh, it's just milling around with a lame burn out in dirt here and there.  Definately NOT Vanishing Point material.  If you want a cheapo direct to DVD martial arts movie, then it might be worth the $8.  They could've done a lot more with the car to make the characters driving it look more "tough".

I'll have to watch it at regular speed with the volume to get a better handle of it......  :popcorn:

For now, I'll give it 2.5 lug nuts out of 5.  :swaying:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007 - 05:59:23 AM »
Pitty