Author Topic: Trip through Slidel and New Orleans La.  (Read 985 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Trip through Slidel and New Orleans La.
« on: January 17, 2007 - 06:51:03 PM »
On the way to the job here, I took my wife through New Orleans and Slidel, I was amazed at how tore up it still was. I kinda feel sorry for the people in that area. I saw multiple hundreds of homes empty and destroyed. Businesses demolished. We took digitals and vedeos as we were driving through. Trees along the interstate south on I 59 were still broke and bent sideways. Such a shame. My wife and I also notice about a 1000 acre field or bigger of empty fema trailers.

back in a bit, gotta find a store close to the motel for my wife.....

Oh, gas...1.98 reg

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Re: Trip through Slidel and New Orleans La.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007 - 07:42:27 PM »
I have family down in the New Orleans area and I just got back from a trip down there for the Sugar Bowl. It is still a very devastated area and some parts have yet to be touched. They are frozen in time for coming up on 2 years.

People have a very short attention span and without it on the news most people think everything is back to normal.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007 - 07:50:01 PM »
So true and so sad.
Americans in general have VERY short memories!! A large group from my church went down there for about a month and the stories just broke your heart. We need to keep them in our prayers!!
Matt

Offline bulletpruf

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007 - 08:44:49 PM »
I'm from Slidell, LA.  Parents live in Pearl River, LA - about 5 miles from Slidell.  Every time I go home I am surprised about the lack of progress in some areas - it's as if the storm just passed through yesterday.

Parents house took a good beating and lost 50 BIG trees off the 5 acre lot and grandmother's apt was a complete loss, but no one in the family was hurt, so that's all that counts.

Scott
'71 GTX, U Code 440, 4 sp, Track Pack, Air Grabber, Black on Black, Spoilers, 61k Original Miles

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007 - 04:48:50 AM »
I'm from Slidell, LA.  Parents live in Pearl River, LA - about 5 miles from Slidell.  Every time I go home I am surprised about the lack of progress in some areas - it's as if the storm just passed through yesterday.

Parents house took a good beating and lost 50 BIG trees off the 5 acre lot and grandmother's apt was a complete loss, but no one in the family was hurt, so that's all that counts.

Scott

Sorry to hear about your losses, but I am glad your family made it through ok.
The river is up at pearl river isn't it.

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007 - 05:22:53 AM »
anytime anyone is in the area NO - Biloxi is only 1 hour away Joel :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007 - 05:49:22 PM »
anytime anyone is in the area NO - Biloxi is only 1 hour away Joel :working:

I was thinking about that too, but had to get to the job. Been there dozens of times. And all around the area. Just so sad about everything that went down

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007 - 05:56:55 PM »
maybe next time  :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007 - 06:48:40 PM »
So true and so sad.
Americans in general have VERY short memories!! A large group from my church went down there for about a month and the stories just broke your heart. We need to keep them in our prayers!!

I'm walking and breathing proof of that, I thought everything was coming along and people had pretty much recovered from it. Man am I clueless.