Mopar sales prices down at BJ...

Author Topic: Mopar sales prices down at BJ...  (Read 9447 times)

Offline DAYTONA

Re: Mopar sales prices down at BJ...
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007 - 09:07:03 PM »

But a 1980 Cadillac Coupe De Ville owned by Red Skelton with documentation sold for $ 14,000.

Go figure.

agree 100%

if I had had a bidders pass, I would have bought that Caddy for my mother.....she would have been honestly thrilled to death...

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2007 - 02:59:01 PM »
I just hope the market doesn't price me out of it by the time I'm ready to buy a car. I don't even want a numbers car, but finding a solid car that hasn't been cloned into something far more expensive will probably be like pulling teeth.

Would it be bad if I had to break down and get a Camaro or a Mustang instead?

I think I shouldn't speak of it. :)

I have been looking for another cuda since I sold mine couple months ago....In the last year alone, I can't find a car I like even close to the money I paid for my first one I let go(bought Dec/05). Someone my age can't afford to dish out 30K+ to get a car that costed 20-25K when I first started looking barely a year ago. The 30K car I would get now, would need a lot of work to get it where I want. I for one am someone who is probably not gonna own a mopar for a few years, either till the prices come down or I find a car i'm willing to dish out a lot of money for. Now, this is mainly E bodies i'm talking about, I could find a decent Mopar for my price range...however, they don't intrest me like E bodies do. If I start looking at cars i'm gonna "settle" for, I may as well consider looking at all other muscle cars. For instance, by best friend from Eastern Canada called me about this car:

Rock solid, all original sheetmetal (new hood put on, and fender due to minor fender bender this summer), original 350/auto car, originally green with black interior, now dark blue. Car has a great paint job and color change was done right.

Car has build od tranny with B&M shifter, built 350 with Elderbrock Aluminium heads, water pump, intake, new carb, new headers/exhaust, new aluminum rad and electric fan, rebuilt 3:73 posi rear, new tires and wheels, new sub frame connectors, all new bushings and sway bars, power disc brakes, power steering. This is a short summary of the car.

The car is a '71 Nova, works flawless over the last 2 years he owns it, runs 13.1's, and needs nothing!.....$15K Canadian...

Now i'm not a huge fan of GM products, or Nova's at that. But show me an equivalent mopar let alone a Cuda for that cheap. I could drop a 5spd in it, 4 wheel disc brakes, Yenko clone it and still have under 20US into it.  It would be a fun driver and not tie up a lot of money I could use elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant..guess i'm just one of the guys who doesn't own a car and begining to realize I probably won't for a while.  :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline cooda

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2007 - 03:33:53 PM »
1BADFISH: Unless you are looking for a numbers matching or original car, can't you find a 73 or 74 E Body?  They are MUCH cheaper than a 70 or 71. Then you could put a 440 in it and make it just how you want it, and it would be a lot more unusual and better looking than a Nova. Just my opinion.
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2007 - 03:45:41 PM »
1BADFISH: Unless you are looking for a numbers matching or original car, can't you find a 73 or 74 E Body?  They are MUCH cheaper than a 70 or 71. Then you could put a 440 in it and make it just how you want it, and it would be a lot more unusual and better looking than a Nova. Just my opinion.

Well I have been keeping my eye open for a nice 72-74 cuda, they're just getting too expensive too. I want a 4spd car, so unless I find one perfect that only needs a 4spd swap, i'm gonna be well into the 30's. You just can't come close to bang for buck that the gm cars can offer. I agree, I'm probably not gonna move on this car unless he absolutely has to sell it. I'll probably end up waiting till I find an E body that is a good deal. I'm just not holding my breath these days.   :dunno: There is no way on earth i'm gonna find a cuda in as good of shape as this nova, with the parts he put into it for much less then double the 15K he's asking for it....however,  Being a stubborn Mopar guy I am, i'll probably hold out.  :swaying:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2007 - 03:50:10 PM »
Nova :puke:  I can buy other cars much cheaper too that are more bang for your buck... but theres alot more to it!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2007 - 04:09:27 PM »
Nova :puke:  I can buy other cars much cheaper too that are more bang for your buck... but theres alot more to it!

Well there are obviously many cars that are more bang for the buck then an E body, this was an example of a car that was offered to me, I happen to not mind the look of them, especially with nicer wheels and the Yenko stripes. I am a car guy, Mopars are my favorite, always were...however with the prices i'm considering other cars, I want a nice driver muscle car I can take to shows and the track, and at this point I don't want to spend more on one then both my daily drivers.   :dunno: 

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline moparmussel

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2007 - 05:11:18 PM »
 :money: that is one of the great assets of building a mopar,they are a good envestment.along with the value comes a price. long,hard restos of an e body can be very rewarding,and very costly.one of my greatest thrills is to go to local car shows and cruze nights,look at the rows of camaros,mustangs,novas,chevelle,etc and then see people gathering around the one or two mopars in the show. when a little more sheet metal becomes available to help us mopar people,there will be a stronger presence of the best muscle cars ever built! :2thumbs:
74 cuda,az car. built 383,727 manual shift,reverse pattern.8th cuda project,cant get enough!

Offline Tap

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2007 - 05:20:54 PM »
I would buy a nice A or B Body Mopar before I would drop to a GM
Car just my thoughts they are cheaper than a E-body and to
alot of people just as kool and not brand X

Tom

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007 - 10:04:39 AM »
Before I got into Mopars, I was all GM. My 71 442 convertible with a stock 455 and 3.73 gears was the fastest muscle car I've owned. I'm sorry I sold it.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2007 - 04:43:58 PM »
I would buy a nice A or B Body Mopar before I would drop to a GM
Car just my thoughts they are cheaper than a E-body and to
alot of people just as kool and not brand X

Tom

You can still build a nice Scamp or Dart for under 5 Grand and if you can't get it into the 13s there is something seriously wrong.
I can't see where that Nova is a very good deal.
Have you ever driven one of those things?    :22yikes: :scared:  :bricks1:
If your gonna go GM get a mid seventies Camaro or Firebird. At least they drive nice and they are still cheap
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007 - 03:48:48 PM by 360cuda »

Offline enforcer505

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007 - 02:54:04 PM »
i had a 1972 cuda i sold for 10,000 and still needed monster work to get on the road (sat outside many years). my friend bought a 68 camaro for 5,000 and needed the same amount of work and was a 327 4 speed. they simply made many more GM cars, and many diffrent models. mopars are harder to find.
all depends on where you live to find these cars. in ontario canada here, trying to find a cuda "in a barn" is unheard of. i have only ever seen 1 cuda in ontario (restorable) in a field and that was in a back yard lot. someone offered the women 9,000 and still didnt want to sell. so it goes to show you ppl are aware of prices and barrett jackson has killed the market right now. i can rant and rave but wont get me anywhere  :cheers:  IMO

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:05:03 PM »
i had a 1972 cuda i sold for 10,000 and still needed monster work to get on the road (sat outside many years). my friend bought a 68 camaro for 5,000 and needed the same amount of work and was a 327 4 speed. they simply made many more GM cars, and many diffrent models. mopars are harder to find.
all depends on where you live to find these cars. in ontario canada here, trying to find a cuda "in a barn" is unheard of. i have only ever seen 1 cuda in ontario (restorable) in a field and that was in a back yard lot. someone offered the women 9,000 and still didnt want to sell. so it goes to show you ppl are aware of prices and barrett jackson has killed the market right now. i can rant and rave but wont get me anywhere  :cheers:  IMO

I agree...I live in Calgary, AB where cars are NOT cheap and mopars are priced high.

Yes GM's were over produced, dime a dozen..etc etc, but bottom line, they can be bought way cheaper.  I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a chebby...lol, i'm just saying you can't buy a rock solid mopar with as much work done to it as the Nova I mentioned above for 15K CANADIAN.  Hell, try building a 340 with new aluminum heads, intake, new carb, new headers exhaust, new alumninum water pump, new alumninum rad, msd ignition, 3:73 posi, sub frame connectors, sway bars, built OD tranny with B & M shifter and high stall converter for much less then 15..lol. Hell I lost nearly as much on my last cuda as my buddy is asking for this nova...lol. So I really don't know how some can say the car isn't a good deal. I just want a solid muscle car that I can make handle good, nice wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, and maybe put a 5spd in, fun driver. To do that with any year cuda will cost me more then double.   :dunno:  That is the only reason I mentioned looking at other cars. And I really doubt I can find a dart/duster with perfect paint/body and built drivetrain for 15K...building is not an option as I don't have facilities and bodyshops are more expensive then paying for a triple bypass here..lol.  However....if anyone knows of a mopar in the 12K US range that I can drop a 5spd in and drive all summer, let me know.  And I don't have to pay taxes to import this car into Canada which is a bonus.  Don't be hating my mopar brothers....I just want a muscle car by summer, and a newborn does not allow a cuda in the budget...lol.   :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:08:05 PM »
It has been my experience with these Mopars that when you are trying to sell em, the prices are down, and when you are looking to buy, prices are up....    :bricks1:   That's my luck...     :bricks1:     :roflsmiley:   :bigsmile:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:23:29 PM »
It has been my experience with these Mopars that when you are trying to sell em, the prices are down, and when you are looking to buy, prices are up....    :bricks1:   That's my luck...     :bricks1:     :roflsmiley:   :bigsmile:   :cooldancing: 

Hahahah, OS you hit the nail on the head...seems like when i'm in the buying market everthing I look at is overpriced, when I want to sell a car, its not worth  pooo.   :crazy: 

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2007 - 11:05:55 PM »
 :iagree:

amazing how that works:

Selling..."nah..that ol' '70 Dodge ain't werth nuthin"

Buying..."this is a '70 E-BODY !!! Haven't you watched B.J. ?"
Eric