Author Topic: Mopar sales prices down at BJ...  (Read 9462 times)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Mopar sales prices down at BJ...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007 - 04:21:54 PM »
Also where are the sales results?

Here ya go

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appstest2/carlist/default.asp

Just click on the day you want to see..

Offline cooda

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007 - 05:00:16 PM »
Another car I looked at and talked to the owner's representative just sold today. Red "R" code 4 speed Hemicuda coupe with replacement (1967) Hemi block, trans, repop trim tag and door decal, with non-original elasto bumper and rear wing added. Standard dash and no console.  Car went for $214,500 including the commission. Car looked really nice! It looked like to me that on these Mopars, if it wasn't a very expensive radical custom with a 600 horse motor or something, the more original the car, the more it brought. Slightly modified cars got hurt.

Some Mopars that did really well were the big engine land yacht convertibles from the late 50's and early 60's. 1960 Dodge Polara convertible:  $176K. 1959 Desoto Fireweep convertible: $313,500. 1959 Desoto Adventurer convertible: $253,000.

I think most people on this board DO care what their car is worth, even driver cars, and like it or not, these BJ prices do affect the market.

As far as "sanity" in the market goes, they are still expensive, just down some from last year. It seemed to be the year of the Shelby Mustang GT-500's. I wonder if the new version has anything to do with that. It seemed like when Chrysler starting putting the new Hemi engines into their cars and trucks, the old Hemis soared.
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007 - 05:09:33 PM »
I noticed that this year was the year of the Shelby. When the new Mustang came out it did not really affect the Mustang market, but the release of the hemi and the release of the new GT-500 seemed to affect their older counterparts market values. It makes me wonder how the release the of new Challenger will affect the original Challenger market?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007 - 06:05:23 PM »

I think most people on this board DO care what their car is worth, even driver cars, and like it or not, these BJ prices do affect the market.

If you are referring to me, I never said I didn't care what they are worth, I just mean't that if they go down enough I might be able to buy a driver. Since I don't plan to ever sell mine, it's just not that big of a deal to me if they are worth $50,000 or $150,000. A few years ago a wealthy neighbor stopped by to inform me that he was there to purchase one of my Cuda's so I just let him talk for awhile. He eventually got around to telling me that he had attended Barrett-Jackson the previous couple of years and decided that one of my cars would be perfect for him to buy, have professionally restored, turn a tidy profit and hob-nob with the rich and famous at all the B-J parties. I politely informed him that investors like him had ruined the hobby for a lot of real enthusiasts and then told him that he didn't have enough money to purchase any of my cars. For some strange reason I haven't seem him since.  :)

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007 - 06:26:19 PM »

As far as "sanity" in the market goes, they are still expensive, just down some from last year. It seemed to be the year of the Shelby Mustang GT-500's. I wonder if the new version has anything to do with that. It seemed like when Chrysler starting putting the new Hemi engines into their cars and trucks, the old Hemis soared.

Down some? Last year a rebodied 71 hemicuda hardtop went for $600K. This year...GY3 4 speed 16K original miles 71 hemicuda, #'s car for $517K (including 10% buyers fee) and a 29K mile #'s auto 71 hemicuda for 350K including 10% commission. Several 70 hemicuda hartops went in the 200K range. I'd say that's more than just a little dropoff from last year. That GY3 car was speculated to bring 1 million based on last year.

I didn't say they were cheap, but they sure didn't go up 50-100% like some people believed they would. That said the day of the $80K R code cuda is long past. I believe we'll see some further adjustment as people who just bought these cars as a supplement to their 401K decide to cut their losses, but they will always be expensive cars.

Big coincidence that Fords seemd to be the big (only)gainers this year when Ford sponsored the event. Funny how everytime a cut to commercial came up, a Mopar or GM was due on the block. Didn't miss too many fords, did they?

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007 - 07:42:42 PM »
If you notice all the cars they push off do not have the trunks closed.

They tried to close it about 10 times, then gave up!  I know they don't always close them, but trust me this car they tried and tried... including slamming as hard as you would slam something that nice... not like a pos slam :roflsmiley:  But it would not close!!!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007 - 08:22:33 PM »

Offline cooda

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007 - 09:06:06 PM »
hemi71:

You noticed that too? I got really pi$$ed at the Speed coverage. Some of the best cars, and a lot of interesting Mopars, were auctioned during commercials. They advertised Fords when the black Hemicuda was auctioned Saturday, and when the ONLY Hemicuda was auctioned today. But I don't think they missed many of those Shelbys. And although I admit the announcers have a way of making it interesting, they don't know a lot about what was offered from the factory for a particular make and year- particularly on Corvettes they were stupid- there is a $10 book that gives you most all the Corvette information in a form that most 5th graders would easily understand.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007 - 09:09:56 PM by cooda »
2008 Red Z06 Corvette

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007 - 09:12:16 PM »
I hope prices still stay strong as it will drive companies to repro more parts.

I doubt Goodmark would be making full quarters, fenders, etc.

Would you rather have these cars be as desirable as say...Buicks?  Or worse...AMCs?

I don't need an original Hemi or 6-pak car when I can build one for cheaper.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007 - 10:55:46 PM »
Like I've been saying. Investors and speculators are the real force in this market. They're starting to see the appreciation potential fall off, so they'll switch to the next hot thing, whatever it may be, and will drive up that market, leaving the car market fall. Also, there's only so many people out there willing and able to spend 2ooK+ for a car that will just sit under a car cover in their garage, and will never see any more action than an occasional car show. And some of these idiots who have been paying big bucks for clones are starting to realize that they can build one for a lot less than what people are trying to sell them for. I just feel sorry for all of the guys that got caught up in the frenzy, and will be stuck with cars that will be worth less than they paid for them.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007 - 12:03:06 AM »
some of them have figured out that you really need to know something about cars to keep these mopars going.
If everytime the car wouldn't start or hiccupped you had to have it towed or a mechanic look at it,
it'd get old pretty quick.
Thats why these cars were always owned by gearheads.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007 - 05:27:55 AM »
I was explaining to my wife after 6 days of BJ on TV that the money favored buyers this year as most of the cars are probably done right when restored, my  :2cents:,

I have built my 70 challenger conv with Billet Specialties parts, alterktion, moser rear, wilwood X 4 disc etc etc & have spent way more than NOS or repro parts

so these restorers could possibly recoup their investment costs but it still looks like you could pick up a car that you might want

ie. Sunday afternoon 71 chally conver T/A creation sold for $57K 340 6pak with 4 speed if dun rit not bad if you want to drive it

:burnout: :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007 - 05:02:35 PM »
The only time I`ll really care what my Mopars are worth is when I get to old to drive them and decide to sell.I`d love to see the prices drop and don`t care if the "investor" types lose thier shirts.The only good thing to come out of the high prices is that more cars are being restored which makes it profitable for companies to reproduce more parts.The downside is the rare parts that are not being reproduced have skyrocketed in price and even the /6 and 318 models are becoming expensive for us non-rich guys to buy.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline cooda

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007 - 05:48:43 PM »
Talked to a couple of people today that do a lot of Mopar cars and parts and follow the market. Their take is that the market for some of the high end Hemi and original 6-pack cars was way too inflated from last year, the bubble has burst, and this is just a "market correction", like they talk about for the stock market. Now the Shelbys are going bonkers, at least if BJ is an indication. With the inflated prices, I had planned to sell my Hemicuda at auction and buy a 440 car or something less expensive that I wouldn't be afraid to scratch up on the road, and invest the change for my retirement.  I love the car, but if I may be afraid to drive it after it is restored.

The down market concerns me enough that I don't think I would use BJ to sell the car, as they have no reserve. May try to sell it in Hemmings or at an auction with a reserve. Or if the prices get too low, my wife can bury me in it!

72Hemi posted that the Challengers may take a bump up when the new 09's come out and he may have a very good point, for anybody wanting to sell their Challenger. That may be exactly what's happening with the old Shelbys. If you own one maybe it's time to sell (after all it is a Ford).

I don't feel sorry for investors who paid too much for a Mopar either. I bought mine cheap because I wanted to own an old muscle Plymouth and only want to sell it because they got so high priced. I think the stock market is a much better place to invest.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007 - 06:03:04 PM by cooda »
2008 Red Z06 Corvette

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007 - 06:01:04 PM »
I'm sorry to disagree with most of you but I don't think that the prices came down at all !!! I just think that people are getting smarter about where they spend their money. Last year people were paying stupid money for clone cars and cars that were just not worth the money which in turn pushed the price of the real cars up . The clone prices came down this year but in my opinion are still to high for a non original car. If you noticed the big cars still brought big money. That red HemiCuda with only 73 original miles brought a half a million bucks. That is nothing to sneeze at where I come from. Most real HemiCuda's and Challengers were still in the $ 200,000.00 range. I don't consider that cheap by no means considering 10 years ago they were bringing $ 40,000.00 and I thought people were out of their minds paying that much back then. I mean what did most of you think that all Hemi e bodys were going to bring $ 400,000 or $ 500,000. You got to remember that BJ is just a pissing contest for the rich and famous and the prices reflect that. Weather you like ot or not I don't ever think the MOPAR hobby is ever going to go back to the average working man's hands. It is just not going to happen. It is a dream or for most of us working guys and gal's a nightmare.
Just my 2 cents
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.