Author Topic: How do you restore door panels  (Read 15938 times)

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: How do you restore door panels
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2007 - 11:57:46 AM »
I will definitely keep y'all posted.  I'm supposed to get the products either Friday or Monday and will start the work shortly after.  It'll be my first time doing this, so I hope I don't mess 'em up!   

You'll do fine, I'm sure.  Heck, if I can do it, anyone can! :grinyes:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007 - 08:00:47 AM »
OK folks, I purchase the following listed below.  My only question, which online vendor has the best $$$?
1 SEM Soap
1 SEM Plastic/Leather Prep
2 SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter
1 SEM Landau Black Dye cans
3 Sem Super White  Dye cans

Thanks,
Walt

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2007 - 10:06:26 AM »
I like Eastwood, and their prices aren't bad (www.eastwoodco.com).  But the shipping can add up!

You might want to check the better paint shops in your area (the ones that supply to the body shops).  I find the SEM products at shops here in Michigan - The prices are usually a bit higher, but no shipping costs.  I'm sure someone will chime in with a good paint/supplies vendor on the web...

Tom

Offline Winston

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2007 - 10:47:41 AM »
70RAGTOP,

I found a local shop here in VA who is ordering the supplies for me.  Other can look at my prices and let us know if these prices are reasonable.

1 SEM Soap - $9.22
1 SEM Plastic/Leather Prep - $9.42
2 SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter - $15.28 each
3 SEM Landau Black Dye - $10.48 each

If these prices sound good to you, I can check with the guy here and see if he can order more.  If so, maybe you can purchase through him or send me the money, then I'll pick up your order and ship them to you without any mark-up. 

I'd like others to chime in and see if these prices I will be paying are fair.  He seemed like a really good guy on the phone.  When I called his shop, he has his shop number forwarded to his home after hours.  He told me he would get back to me around 9am the following morning when he had his catalog handy, and he followed through with that.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2007 - 01:05:53 PM »
We got ours from our local paint shop for about $10 a can. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007 - 02:35:47 PM »
Winston.....I found a local auto paint vendor who sells SEM products.  I'm pay the same price that you are.  Also it will be here on Monday.  So next weekend everythink gets done.  I wash one of the panel's three times with mild soap and water and boy was there a difference.  I'm looking forward to next weekend.  :droolingbounce:  I'll post pics when they are done.

Rev.....How did you clean your seat belts?  I'll pos pics after I resize them.

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007 - 02:48:29 PM »
Rev....Here are the seat belt pics.  Everyone else please feel free to give your suggestions.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2007 - 03:25:39 PM »
Hey guys,
Great info. I love this site.  :2thumbs: I'm getting ready to do my scuffed up door panels. Just some helpful info that may save some folks a few bucks!! :money: I've been doing some price shopping and I have found the best prices for the SEM products to be at www.autobodydepot.com The cans of dye go for $9.86 each. So if ordering multiple cans they may save you some pesos. Also they carry the prep products also which may be cheaper than other sites!! Good luck!  :jumping:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Winston

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2007 - 09:16:46 PM »
Hey y'all,
I am out of town on business right now, but yesterday, I washed my right door panel with the SEM soap.  I washed it real good with a bristle brush and the panel dried with a 'dry' look. It kinda reminded me like dried out skin if that makes any sense.  Is this normal?  That is as far as I've gotten.  I'm getting back to work on them this weekend as long as I am not messing them up. I forgot to take a before shot of this panel, but I will take some of the others. I just totally forgot to take a pic before I started washing.  I'll take before and after pics of the rest.  Thanks for any response!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2007 - 10:09:23 PM »
If I remember right, mine did the same thing.  The soap is probably getting rid of all the oil and amour-all or whatever else is on the panels.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007 - 03:12:55 AM »
If I remember right, mine did the same thing.  The soap is probably getting rid of all the oil and amour-all or whatever else is on the panels.

Travis
72 Cuda

:iagree:

Yes, that is normal.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007 - 08:54:23 AM »
Winston....I did one of the rear panels this morning.  Here are some pics for you.  Follow the direction carefully.  Also, I washed my panels 3x with dish soap and then again with the SEM soap.  One the really bad ones I used a brillo pad lightly to get the tough dirt out.  One last note, sit the panels on their side when you apply the addesive. I hope this helps.  I will post more pics when I'm done.

Walt

Offline Winston

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2007 - 07:29:02 AM »
Walt,

It looks like you did a super job on that panel.  Did that color white work out for you?  I look forward to getting back home tomorrow and working with the panels over the weekend.  I will read the directions and follow them closely.  Thanks for the tip on setting the panels on the side.  May I ask why that is important?  Man, I hope I don't mess these things up...I'm lucky enough to have the original panels that are in pretty good shape for the age.  It would be a shame if my inexperience ruins them!  I plan on giving it a shot though!

Thanks,
Winston

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007 - 08:40:39 AM »
You'll do just fine Winston. I had the same apprehension you are feeling.  But really, it's pretty easy....just scary working with original panels.  The "dry skin" look is normal and don't be surprised if it starts to look even worse!  I was really getting worried that I had made a bad mistake because they were looking so dry and washed out.  But they turned out beautiful in the end.

BTW, we hung ours up so we could get all the edges of panels.  Your choice.

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2007 - 04:54:48 PM »
Winston.......The reason I said to place panels upright is because the direction for the adhesive say first coat and second coat heavy.  In fact they want it to look wet.  Well the adhesive pools in the crevise.  Even after almost 30 mins. Learned this on the first panel.  The second panel looks great.  I tilted it before I dyed it.  Here are the before and after pics.  One note, do this outside.  The adhesive has a strong odor.  My wife makes me do it outside in the garage and I must crack the doors.  Do you know how cold it is outside? :scared:

Walt