Author Topic: How do you restore door panels  (Read 15955 times)

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
Re: How do you restore door panels
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007 - 05:38:36 PM »
Try getting them re-finished at Just Dashes - I think you'll be much happier with the results.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007 - 06:32:55 PM »
Ok folks, now I need to know how much to order. 

Rev.....Your website is very helpful.  My wife thinks that she can handle the restoring of the door panels.  By the way, the pole that you used to hang the panels on, what was the material.

Walt

Walt,

If the door panels, and rear panels aren't incredibly bad, you can do it in 2 cans. The other question is about the seat backs? That will take more. I'd say you are in the 2-3 can territory now.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007 - 06:39:07 PM »
Here is a pic of my passenger door panel.  I have a crack in the bottom of the door.  How do I repair this problem.

Walt

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007 - 06:51:00 PM »
The bottom??  :clueless:

That's strange, they usually crack at the top on each side. I am NO expert, but there is something called "J.B Weld" out there. You can probably get it at Walmart, or any auto parts store. I would try to close the gap as much as possible, and smear this on the back of it. It is STRONG when it dries. Maybe the gap won't be that noticeable after you repaint it.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007 - 06:58:43 PM »
Thanks Mike.  By the way I do have to small cut outs on each side of the panel.  I'll provide a pic on Weds.  As for the crack at the bottom I will try your suggestion.  Again thanks.

Walt

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007 - 07:55:43 PM »
Cracks like that normally happen when the panel comes in contact with the alluminum sill cover.  When you use the J.B.Weld you will need to reinforce the crack. Attach something strong and thin over the backside of the crack with the J.B.Weld between the panel and the reinforcement.  A strip of metal should work.  Rough the metal and the panel up with sandpaper so the J.B. Weld can bite into it.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007 - 08:05:17 PM »
Just dropped mine off today to have them sprayed and should be done by the weekend. Its costing me $100.00 and will be will worth it if they turn out nice. After I got everything off I realized that the passenger side door was a different grain and white. So I will have to end up getting a replacement before spring.

who's doing your panels?
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007 - 08:08:29 PM »
Cracks like that normally happen when the panel comes in contact with the alluminum sill cover.  When you use the J.B.Weld you will need to reinforce the crack. Attach something strong and thin over the backside of the crack with the J.B.Weld between the panel and the reinforcement.  A strip of metal should work.  Rough the metal and the panel up with sandpaper so the J.B. Weld can bite into it.
Right, You need to rough it up good on the back with some 60 grit. Another way to "glue" it back together is with a thin coat of Kitty glass. I used that on a panel ten years ago and it still looks good even here in Arizona. Kitty glass is it's own reinforcement.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007 - 11:17:04 AM »
Look for the sem plastic bumper repair... good autobody supply places will carry it.  Then you can use a screen looking fiberglass sheet.  Don;t ask me what its actually called.  But I repair plastic buspers with this method.  You sand the back of the crack area, put down the epoxy bumper repair, the screen sctuff, then more of the epoxy.  It dries and is as stronger of stronger than original.  You just have to keep the cracked area pushed toght together.  Best thing to do is use superglue in the crack before you use the epoxy and such.  This will hold it til the epxoy is applied.  If your painting it, the paint should fill in the hairline from the crack.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007 - 12:52:53 PM »
I'll use the repair suggestions this weekend.  I was checking out my dash and I found a hairline crack in the center of the dash.  Can I use a vinyl repair paste here.  I'll post a pic tonight of this crack.

Walt

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007 - 08:39:04 AM »
 :clueless:  I noticed that my kick panels are black.  Since I have white interior shouldn't my kick panels be white.  If someone has white interior, can you post some pics.  It would be great to see pics of a white ragtop plum crazy r/t chally with white interior.  Thanks

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007 - 08:45:24 AM »
The kickpanels should be black.  Thats what mine are in my white interior.  Someone back me up on this one though.    :dogpile:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007 - 09:23:46 AM »
The kickpanels should be black.  Thats what mine are in my white interior.  Someone back me up on this one though.    :dogpile:

:iagree:

Yes, they should be black.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007 - 10:04:03 AM »
Good, I was starting to wonder.

Thanks,
Walt

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007 - 07:55:48 AM »
Mike I received the SEM chart last night.  I will match up the colors and send it back to you sometime in the next couple of days. 

Thanks,
Walt