Author Topic: How to Drive a 71' big block car  (Read 2746 times)

Offline EVIL72

Re: How to Drive a 71' big block car
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007 - 12:40:23 AM »
There are large parking lots by my house, I went in there and just played around to see what kinda manuverablility the car had.  I'd suggest something similar to you.  Mine's a 71 Chally R/T with 383 auto.

Ryan

:iagree: Practice this in dry and rainy weather in empty parking lots away from light poles, when I was young I used to take my 71 Duster to places like this in the rain and practice doing controlled doughnuts, figure eights, and if there was an island in the parking lot, I'd practice sliding around that in each direction.
 At the time this was just some youthful clowning around, but because of the practice and knowing what my car was going to do, it saved me more that a few times in my day to day driving.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline 1970hemicuda

Re: How to Drive a 71' big block car
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007 - 11:10:12 AM »

:iagree: Practice this in dry and rainy weather in empty parking lots away from light poles, when I was young I used to take my 71 Duster to places like this in the rain and practice doing controlled doughnuts, figure eights, and if there was an island in the parking lot, I'd practice sliding around that in each direction.
 At the time this was just some youthful clowning around, but because of the practice and knowing what my car was going to do, it saved me more that a few times in my day to day driving.
LOL ... did the same thing in my '72 340 Duster.  Like you say, some of it was youthful clowning around, but the by-product was learning how to handle your car.  I like the wet parking lot idea more than dry, until you get the hang of it ... much more forgiving.  Took all three of my teenange kids to an abandoned mall parking lot and put them through the same paces.