Author Topic: Experiences with Mopar Engines West?  (Read 7782 times)

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
Experiences with Mopar Engines West?
« on: January 23, 2007 - 11:24:19 AM »
The Pimp Panther needs more power, and i'm considering to have a engine built by Mopar Engines West.
Do any of you people have any experience with this company?
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Re: Experiences with Mopar Engines West?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007 - 12:15:11 PM »
They are building my Hemi right now.
Be prepared to be on a waiting list, which I believe is about three to four months long.  I first contacted them in June to place the order and deposit.  I am still waiting for my motor, but I did tell them I am not in a huge rush and completely fine with the delay.
In my case, we did have a big set back due to my Comp Cams lifters being on back order.  They didn't arrive until the week before Christmas.  That was only parts they were waiting for and the motor is going together right now.  Other than the big delay, I am pretty happy with them.  They try to keep you informed of the progress as much as possible and if they do slip, they will respond very promptly via email.

I have talked with Rich, Angie, and Dave.  All are great people on the phone.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007 - 12:32:54 PM »
I've talked to them at a few Mopar events and they seem to have their stuff together.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007 - 10:30:33 PM »
They are building my Hemi right now.
Be prepared to be on a waiting list, which I believe is about three to four months long.  I first contacted them in June to place the order and deposit.  I am still waiting for my motor, but I did tell them I am not in a huge rush and completely fine with the delay.
In my case, we did have a big set back due to my Comp Cams lifters being on back order.  They didn't arrive until the week before Christmas.  That was only parts they were waiting for and the motor is going together right now.  Other than the big delay, I am pretty happy with them.  They try to keep you informed of the progress as much as possible and if they do slip, they will respond very promptly via email.

I have talked with Rich, Angie, and Dave.  All are great people on the phone.
I don't mind waiting, i won't be able to do anything about the car before june anyway, lol!
That big delay can't be blamed on them, as i read it. And they're great on communication too...?
I like what i read here.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

***Per Arne***

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007 - 10:47:35 PM »
They are less than 5 miles from me. I plan to go over there soon and visit.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007 - 04:38:48 AM »
They are less than 5 miles from me. I plan to go over there soon and visit.
You're about to go for a new engine too?  :naughty:

Grey '70 Challenger R/T

***Per Arne***

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007 - 06:06:29 AM »
STAY AWAY FROM SPEEDOMOTIVE, was waiting on a part to correct the oil pan since they forgot the dipstick in the block -  :poopoke:, also found they forgot the o-rings on the spark plug tubes on the valve covers

Still waiting on replacement valve covers due to poor judgment on their oil breather location

and the call from the owner - George

When i called on my parts status - found out the big cheese engine builder "quit or fired" - MAJOR LOSERS   :villagers:

- got new o-rings from Indy Cylinder Heads on order - they are great people

Welded in steel bung on Milodon oil pan on Tuesday for Lokar oil dipstick - car goes to body shop on Friday for engine compartment paint

then install engine in a couple of weeks  :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007 - 06:29:58 AM »
Yeah, i've read about your problems with Speedomotive.
Because of the problems i read you had with them, they're definetively not a builder i would consider.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

***Per Arne***

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007 - 06:49:40 AM »
I don't mind waiting, i won't be able to do anything about the car before june anyway, lol!
That big delay can't be blamed on them, as i read it. And they're great on communication too...?
I like what i read here.

I haven't been hassling them for info, but when I was curious as to what was going on, I would just shoot Angie an email and she was back with a response via email or phone call within a couple hours.  They have never seemed like they sugar coated any questions and seem like really straight shooters.  :thumbsup:

And about the delay, I see it the same way too.  There are certain things that even they can't control.  With the money being invested in the motor, I would much rather wait for a quality piece that is built right than just throw it together with non-choice items for the sake of time.  On top of it, they will be shipping the motor halfway across the country.  When I first approached them, they were adamant that they wanted to build a solid motor for me for just that reason.  It wouldn't help their reputation to have a motor arrive that had problems because fixing it would be a nightmare logistically and economically. :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007 - 06:55:57 AM by HemiDog »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007 - 07:24:34 AM »
You're about to go for a new engine too?  :naughty:

get an estimate and ideas from them on the rebuild. BTW, Plum6pak had his built there too. But Aruzza was recommended to me also.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007 - 11:02:20 AM »
I haven't been hassling them for info, but when I was curious as to what was going on, I would just shoot Angie an email and she was back with a response via email or phone call within a couple hours.  They have never seemed like they sugar coated any questions and seem like really straight shooters.  :thumbsup:

And about the delay, I see it the same way too.  There are certain things that even they can't control.  With the money being invested in the motor, I would much rather wait for a quality piece that is built right than just throw it together with non-choice items for the sake of time.  On top of it, they will be shipping the motor halfway across the country.  When I first approached them, they were adamant that they wanted to build a solid motor for me for just that reason.  It wouldn't help their reputation to have a motor arrive that had problems because fixing it would be a nightmare logistically and economically. :cheers:
I quite agree with that!

Hey, i live in Norway, halfway across the world! The engine would'nt just be bullet proof when they ship it, it would be grenade proof! :D
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

***Per Arne***

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007 - 07:07:56 PM »

Hemidog, if you would like, I can go over there and get some pics of your engine to show you the progress if you want when the time comes. just shoot me a PM.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007 - 08:33:57 PM »
TopCat, are you aware MEW moved their operation up into the hills about Sonora?
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007 - 10:28:17 PM »
No I didn't. I just was at their website a month or two ago. Newark CA. where I live nearby was where they were at. This makes their 3rd move in 5 years then. Sonora is quite a ways for me then Hemidog to go there now.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007 - 10:31:31 PM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.