Author Topic: G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question  (Read 23026 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question
« on: January 23, 2007 - 03:35:09 PM »
I live in the general area where it was built. I got a news paper article on it today. It said the car was going to the BJ auction block the 21st. They believed the starting bid was going to be around 500k. I told my dad, I don't think so. Anybody see or hear about this car?  I'd like to know if it sold or not. I myself can't see it going for what they thought it would in the paper, even if it is a hot wheels car........ :feedback:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007 - 03:42:59 PM »
The car only went for like 500k. I know he lost his butt on the car he had somethin like 750k invested. I saw the car at the 2006 SEMA show and it was a cool car, but I knew they would loose big on it.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline willhaven

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007 - 03:52:12 PM »
If you look through the build pics, it's easy to see how he spent nearly a million on the car. How much of that expensive fabrication work actually translated into speed and cornering ability... who knows.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007 - 04:02:21 PM »
The article said he had over 15,000 hrs of labor in it. Home made carbon fiber fenders and stuff. I just thought it was a waste. It was being built for a guy to have and not sell. The owner said he had 50 other cars. Now I can tell my dad what has been posted. And I'm amazed at it going for 500k.

Ever try to drive an e body over 150 mph?  Not 1/4 mile but on the hwy?  Not good for long blasts. I saw nothing to keep that car glued to the road. I almost died at 165 in 2 miles. Then I started building drag cars after that.

Thanks guys, I got work to do in the shop now. The 440-6 and 4 speed is setting in front of my barracuda right now just waiting to be dropped in....................

Offline 70B@rracuda

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007 - 05:03:33 PM »
With all of the trick stuff Johnson's did to it, it really paid of in performance. The car has a ton of stuff done to it obviously. Alot of Corvette suspension/transaxle, carbon fiber, and aero tuning. It is far superior in comparison to an E-body, matter of fact, the car pretty much only resembles an E-body. Panels stretched, chopper, tube frame...
Aside from he performance of the car, I think it is absolutely terrible. It is just about the ugliest thing I have ever, ever seen.
I am in some ways glad to see Bob Johnson lose his azz on it. Wealthy guy that threw too much money at an idea to garner himself a Street Machine of the Year award. And there is nothing wrong with guys like George Poteet, commissioned Blowfish, Troy Trepanier's latest creation. Poteet is a wealthy car guy that really likes his Mopars and he has vision, class, and doesn't ask his builder to go way over the top to get a hunk of metal trophy.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007 - 11:27:11 AM »
I agree, I think Foose had a hand in the design :puke:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007 - 12:33:53 PM »
Anyone with half a brain can't think he is going to get back all of his $800k and more, on a basiclly custom e-body. That IMHO didn't even look that good, the car looked like a funny car with street tires.
That's a case of more money than brains.  If your going to put close to a million bucks in a car, you build it and enjoy it.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007 - 02:17:43 PM »
In case anyone doesn't know . . here is the car. 

Since  :useless:  I thought I'd help out!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007 - 04:12:02 PM »

Thanks 4C.  :worshippy

During the auction, the commentator's said probably every panel was modified, except the roof.  :lol: The grill looks like it wasn't touched to me, but that car was a bit out of my taste range.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007 - 04:14:04 PM »

Looks like a cross between a Cuda and a doorstop......     :smokin:    :clueless:    :bigsmile:    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007 - 06:07:36 PM »
I agree, I think Foose had a hand in the design :puke:
Na, If foose had had a hand in the design it would have a weird paintjob and horrible 21" chrome wheels. (I would photochop a pic of what a foose version would look like, but my confuzzors not workin right at the mo)

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007 - 06:21:06 PM »

Looks like a cross between a Cuda and a doorstop......     :smokin:    :clueless:    :bigsmile:    :cooldancing:   
:roflsmiley: :smilielol: :clapping:
Dave

71challengher

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007 - 08:14:49 PM »
What did they do to the hood? :faint:

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007 - 08:45:49 PM »
I think you guys need to hold off on judgement until you have seen it in person.

Seen in at SEMA 2005 and it was the most amazing piece of rolling art I have EVER seen! :2thumbs:

$500k is a steal for the Van Gogh or Monet or Picasso of musclecars.  A ONE of ONE demonstration of creativity and engineering at its finest.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007 - 08:53:36 PM »
  i think you guys need to hold off on judgement until you have seen it in person.

Nope.   

The article said they thought the bids would start around 500k and go over 1 mil.  I couldn't see it going for that money. Even if I was to sit in it, let alone see it.